Epileptic Maltese

peterdeb

Hi there

My gorgeous Maltese girl who is just over 1 year old has been diagnosed with Epilepsy

just yesterday (Sunday) and the vet has put her on 30 mg Phenomav twice a day but she has no

strength whatsover in back legs and her head is a bit wobbly. I am just wondering

if this is just the medication or also combination of the seizures she has had which

is 4-5 in 48 hours.

It is very upsetting to see her like this when she used to be a normal happy healthy dog.

Welcome, and I'm sorry your little dog is having to go through that.

What did your vet say about the supposed side effects?

If you have not contacted them, I would suggest you do so as a matter of urgency.

Thinking of you, and your little girl...

Haven't had a dog with this issue but we board many epileptic dogs & those on high doses are like zombies .

Was this her first time for seizures because that many in one day is an awful lot if she had no history prior too

Seizures are overwhelming and effect the whole family. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this:(

Every dog handles seizures differently but Pheno is known to cause hind leg weakness until the dog adjusts to the medicine which can take up to two weeks. It is heartbreaking to watch but most dogs do gradually bounce back.

Most medications have side effects you need to weigh up the original symptoms with the side effects of the medicine. The frequency of her seizures sound quite serious. It sounds like you have no choice but to wait it out which makes time seem like an eternity.It is one of those things where you need to look at the big picture.

It is quite common for dogs to sleep deeply after seizures as it burns them out. Have some ice cream (preferably without too many additives or preservatives) with rescue remedy and ice packs for the small of the back ready for after the seizures.

Seizures are surprisingly common. Many dogs and people manage it with medication and live to have many more highs than lows. The tough part is trying to find the right medication and dose and identifying any patterns eg using chemicals such as Frontline, feeding pork, phases of the moon or even weather changes.

GOOD luck and hang in there! :flower:

Thankyou so much for everyone's support and kind words and responses. I lost my darling girl on Monday afternoon

with Encephalitis. I am still very devastated but dealing with things day by day...Hugs..

Thankyou so much for everyone's support and kind words and responses. I lost my darling girl on Monday afternoon

with Encephalitis. I am still very devastated but dealing with things day by day...Hugs..

I am so so sorry to hear about you losing your little girl. :cry: :cry: As difficult as it is, try to stay strong.

My thoughts are with you :hug:

So sad! Awful to loose a young pup to such an unkind disease.

Did the vet say, was it GME (Granulomatous meningeoencephalitis), also know an Pug dog encephalitis? This is known in Maltese. If so, you should probably contact your breeder. There is some evidence that the disease is hereditary. If other pups from the same or similar breedings have been affected, the breeder needs to know.