New Pug Puppy ~ Any Pug Help Welcome!

luvs_mutts

Just purchased a new pug puppy she is 10 weeks old. She is my first pug and although I researched it thoroughly before buying her I'm unsure about a few things. My other dog is a 4 yo Cav/Poodle rescue and I have my Mother's dog here regularly a 4 yo approx silky mix. I am keeping her in the bathroom whilst I am at work for a few hours a day; she has her bed, food, toys, kong toy, wee pad and everything in there.I thought it gives the other dogs a break too; and she sleeps most of the day but she is a feisty little thing. The other dogs have been reasonably tolerant but I wanted to ask about worming etc. I bought her from a breeder and they didn't really say much about it; because I got my other dogs at 18 month old I'm not really sure. Also desexing in pugs; because of the breathing; what is the best age to do it; I thought the younger the better; i'm not breeding from her. Any assistance on anything pug is MOST welcome!

Jump on over to the pug thread and ask questions, you'll get good pug specific advice there.

Plus you can always ask your breeder. Where did you get your gorgeous baby from?

I desexed my female pug at 6 months. I wanted to do her earlier but for whatever reason my vet had a blanket 6 month guideline and wouldn't do her earlier. I believe the younger the better, but talk to those more experienced (and your vet).

She should have been wormed regularly by the breeder and it concerns me that all this information did not come with her "puppy pack". she should be due for her second vaccination shortly (around 12 weeks) and will probably be wormed around the same time. and the vet will then advise on regular worming practices.

I ask that my pups are desexed at an appropriate age- usually around 6 months, unless there is a good reason to postpone.

It is sometimes advisable to wait a little longer to give the pups head a chance to grow and then possibly establish if there are any issues like "stenotic nares" - narrow nostrils.

Take a look at http://www.pugclubvictoria.com/ it has a lot of good information.

"feisty little thing" sounds a little quiet for a Pug puppy - they are normally tornadoes with a huge energy budget. Your breeder should have given you written information about the worming schedule your pup has been on and you should feel comfortable contacting them again to ask questions like that - if you don't, that is a concern, but never fear we are happy to confuse you with our different opinions LOL!

I am coming round to the "earlier the better" viewpoint on desexing, however if your own vet does not support very early desexing, then you will need to be guided by their advice. Certainly I would expect that they be done by six months at the latest, and you may possibly have to endure one messy season waiting that long. :(

I've just seen her too cute picture in the pug thread yay, you!

Hi just found this thread, after reading the other thread lol. Thought it sounded like you....Loulou looks lovely...but as Jane said all these questions you should be able to ring the breeder and ask them. You should have her vaccinations card which should also have recorded on it her worming dates. :)

I am a little confused though, I thought you said your mum and dad bought her for you?

Thanks for the feedback; I WILL contact the breeder; and speak to my Vet too. when I went to collect the pup the breeder had other people there looking at her racehorses and I know it's no excuse whatsoever but all she did was give me the pup; puppy pack (which included food, microchip and vaccination information) and nothing at ALL about worming. Didn't even think about it till yesterday when another friend mentioned it; although I've had dogs for years they have been mostly older rescues. One question, she told me to buy Natures Gift Puppy Food (FYI I am a little "anti" supermarket brand dog canned foods in any case). Loulou doesn't eat it; she'll eat maybe one mouthful at most but goes crazy on milk, dry kibble and weetbix! Which I know is the wrong thing to feed her all the time. Can I gradually change the food and does anyone have any recommendation on meat for 10 week old pug?

All my pugs (don't ask how many) are fed raw beef mince, Black hawk dry, and rice and Vegies. They have Prime Dog roll for Breakfast. They are raised the same on this as babies with the exception that I put it through the mincer again to make it finer, and also start them on Advance Puppy ReHydratable.

Also with the babies I do use Nature's gift canned puppy. The reason i do this is so people do not end up with fussy pups. Sometimes you find yourself in the position that you may have run out of fresh meat or forgotten to take it out of the freezer. So I recommend that they have a small can of something the pup likes in the cupboard just in case.

Please stop the weetbix, a baby pug cannot digest this without a tummy ache. And I hope the milk is puppy milk as cows milk also cannot be digested without a pain in her tummy.

I hope you bought her from a reputable registered with pug breeder with the ANKC and have her pedigree certificate and her microchip paperwork.