Missy Threw Up

Hi everyone on our way back home from obedience Missy threw up half her dinner undigested. She had pork mince,beef chunks,chicken giblets,a lamb heart,carrots,bok choy,celery,sardines,eggs and shells,flaxseed oil,yoghurt and cottage cheese. She only had about 1 cup all up plus a sprikle of vets all natural health booster supplement. She also got 4 little pieces of chicken smackos at training. She got feed at 6pm threw up around 7:40pm. Could it have been the food or something else. I'll keep an eye on her all the other dogs have eatten the same thing and there fine. Worst comes to worse I'll have to go back to kibble but not sure how I'll get her to eat it as she will only eat 2 bite fulls then walk away. There was also white foamy bubbles in the spew too.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You fed her before obedience? Is this something you usually do? Did she run around a lot? She may have been over excited with other dogs around, there is a myriad of reasons she could have been sick.

Mine never get fed before excersise of any kind especially obedience or training of any kind.

A cup of that many different food mixed together seems a lot, has she had this diet for long? Perhaps she is not quite used to it yet and taking her to obedience on a full tummy may not have been the best idea.

I always feed her at 6pm no matter if were going to obedience or not so its a normal thing. If I don't feed her she tends not to listen to well,she works better with food in her stomach. Shes been on this diet for almost 2 weeks, the only new thing I added was 1 lamb heart. I make it 1 big batch everything mixed in together, All m other dogs were feed the same thing and there fine.

I would say that the feed is too close to 'work time'. What breed is your dog? It is often considered best to not feed a dog before exercise due to bloat risks etc. The same has also been said for after exercise too. Hopefully your dog is fine, and she just threw up once. If she is happy and active, I wouldn't worry too much. If she was lethargic, I would suspect she is feeling unwell. Some dogs will also work harder for their food at training if they are a little hungry. My dog would be eager for anything at any time of day though, so it depends on the dog.

Could she be just tired after training? Is she showing any other signs of discomfort? Has she toileted normally today? Anything ese out f the ordinary? How was she at training?

we didn't do much training as it started to rain, Only did about 10 minutes of training. Missy was pretty good she was doing everything I said. She hasn't did much all day execpt run around the yard with SHelley which she does everyday. Apart from that she hasn't had any exercise today, Shes only been tired not herself since throwing up, She is still asleep been like that since we got home.

Keep an eye on her over night and hopefully by tomorrow she will be back to her normal self. Has she been around your sisters dog recently? Is it possible she has got her bug?

I hope Missy is feeling better today. I'd also guess that the meal was too close to training time -it might have been te car ride rather than the exercise that upset her.

I feed my dog at least an hour in advance of training/exercise. I'd also feed a smaller and much simpler meal eg. 2 chicken wings. I balance meals out over time so a smaller meal is fine.

Guest donatella

It's a very rich meal for a small dog to have to work on. Maybe a lighter meal, something basic would be more suitable if she must work on a full tummy

Guest donatella

I hope Missy is feeling better today. I'd also guess that the meal was too close to training time -it might have been te car ride rather than the exercise that upset her.

I feed my dog at least an hour in advance of training/exercise. I'd also feed a smaller and much simpler meal eg. 2 chicken wings. I balance meals out over time so a smaller meal is fine.

Agree with this

Guest english.ivy

It's a very rich meal for a small dog to have to work on. Maybe a lighter meal, something basic would be more suitable if she must work on a full tummy

Seems like a very rich meal for any dog, any time of the day.

Seems like a very rich meal for any dog, any time of the day.

Those were my thoughts, too.

Heart is a rich meat, combined with all of those other things, the recipe sounds overly complicated but not especially good.

Also, I wouldn't be feeding pork mince or bothering with the cottage cheese if she's already getting yoghurt, the extra protein source really isn't needed there.

Hi everyone on our way back home from obedience Missy threw up half her dinner undigested. She had pork mince,beef chunks,chicken giblets,a lamb heart,carrots,bok choy,celery,sardines,eggs and shells,flaxseed oil,yoghurt and cottage cheese.

Do you realise you do not have to stuff all of this into her every day in one meal? Spread it out over the week! One type of protein per day is plenty. Poor dog will end up with a massive dose of indigestion! No wonder she threw up.

Guest lavendergirl

This dog has had so many changes in diet I am not surprised she threw up! That mixture sounds like a real onslaught for her tummy to handle.