Missy Threw Up

The actual pork meat isn't generally a problem for dogs, it's the pork fat they tend to find too rich. So if the pork mince was lean, there shouldn't really be any problem with it.

I don't see too much wrong with that diet and think it sounds pretty similar to most of the BARF recipes I've seen. There's nothing wrong with feeding lots of smaller amounts of each thing in each meal rather than a larger amount once a week.

My boy gets awful diarhhoea from hearts, liver, kidneys etc so can only eat small amounts at a time.

In saying that though, I feed raw and my boys diet consists of between 500g and 1kg raw muscle meat for breakfast with some Livamol and then brisket bones and tails of the same animal for dinner. Pretty basic diet but he's been on this for years and is very healthy :)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be wary of feeding a turkey leg. Those things are HUGE and have a lot of meat on them.

Then again, I have smaller dogs so they make do with a turkey wing for one and a chicken wing for the other.

a turkey leg is a meal for one of my nearly 40 kilo greyhounds, way too much for a whippet.

She was feed optimum puppy and raw mince or bones when I got her at 12 weeks old, When she was 7 months I switched her to black hawk and raw mince or bones. She has been on black hawk and raw mince/bones till 2 weeks ago as she was having horrible gas on black hawk, SO I tryed raw but in this town can't get cheap meat or bones, Just for 4 chicken frames cost $6. I'm trying to find a food that agrees with Missys stomach, She didn't like earthborn coastal catch she might not like a fish based kibble. I'm thinking she is allergic to lamb, I know she loves chicken so I'm trying to find a chicken based kibble. I'm thinking of trying earthborn primative natural.Missy has been fine today back to her normal self.

How on earth did you reach a conclusion that she is allergic to lamb???

I'd be wary of feeding a turkey leg. Those things are HUGE and have a lot of meat on them.

Then again, I have smaller dogs so they make do with a turkey wing for one and a chicken wing for the other.

a turkey leg is a meal for one of my nearly 40 kilo greyhounds, way too much for a whippet.

Shelley my golden retriever gets a turkey leg. Missy my whippet gets turkey wing.

She was feed optimum puppy and raw mince or bones when I got her at 12 weeks old, When she was 7 months I switched her to black hawk and raw mince or bones. She has been on black hawk and raw mince/bones till 2 weeks ago as she was having horrible gas on black hawk, SO I tryed raw but in this town can't get cheap meat or bones, Just for 4 chicken frames cost $6. I'm trying to find a food that agrees with Missys stomach, She didn't like earthborn coastal catch she might not like a fish based kibble. I'm thinking she is allergic to lamb, I know she loves chicken so I'm trying to find a chicken based kibble. I'm thinking of trying earthborn primative natural.Missy has been fine today back to her normal self.

How on earth did you reach a conclusion that she is allergic to lamb???

Well before i put her on black hawk she was getting optimum puppy chicken and rice and raw mince meat chicken or chicken and roo and some beef. The bad gas only started since putting her on black hawk lamb and rice, So if she didn't have bad gas on chicken and rice kibble but had bad gas on lamb and rice I suspected it too be the lamb. Plus black hawk is a better quailty kibble then optimum.

I've known a few dogs who get gassy on lamb. It can also be quite fatty and upset tummies too. But there's a difference between an allergy (which would usually make them itchy) and an intolerance (which would generally upset the tummy), but I'm sure you just meant intolerance :)

Minimax food allergies can and do happen. My atopic boy is allergic to chicken, fish and duck - determined by doing food elimination diets.

Edited by stormie

Oh really? try telling that to my whippets :laugh:

5036881689_ca65d55f02_z.jpg

Yes, he ate it all! by kirislin, on Flickr

5037567960_52249a2e10_z.jpg

Tag and the Turkey leg by kirislin, on Flickr

Just kidding, they're very big whippets, almost 20kgs and not fat and this was a once off, they haven't had turkey since.

Glad Missy is OK sometimes they just chuck up for no reason we can fathom.

Edited by Kirislin

Minimax food allergies can and do happen. My atopic boy is allergic to chicken, fish and duck - determined by doing food elimination diets.

I'm well aware of that, but MTS hasn't done any sort of elim diet though, her dog farts on a certain brand of food so she's decided the dog allergic to a protein, when it probably isn't.

I'm well aware of that, but MTS hasn't done any sort of elim diet though, her dog farts on a certain brand of food so she's decided the dog allergic to a protein, when it probably isn't.

Fair enough, but if a dog gets GIT symptoms from a particular protein, it could be safe to say the dog is a bit intolerant to that and lots of people tend to misuse the word allergy unintentionally.

Yeesh. The dog threw up. Once. They do that sometimes. :shrug:

Now a complete change of diet is required? Get real. Although I think the diet she's on now is hardly ideal.

How about this for an idea MTS. Stop dicking about with this dog's food, find a decent high quality kibble she LIKES (try Royal Canin Medium Junior - its cheaper than that other stuff you're thinking of), feed her chicken wings every few days and leave her diet the hell alone.*

*I fully expect that this advice will go the way of all dietary advice given to MTS about her dogs over the last 12 months - nowhere.

Yeesh. The dog threw up. Once. They do that sometimes. :shrug:

Now a complete change of diet is required? Get real. Although I think the diet she's on now is hardly ideal.

How about this for an idea MTS. Stop dicking about with this dog's food, find a decent high quality kibble she LIKES (try Royal Canin Medium Junior - its cheaper than that other stuff you're thinking of), feed her chicken wings every few days and leave her diet the hell alone.*

*I fully expect that this advice will go the way of all dietary advice given to MTS about her dogs over the last 12 months - nowhere.

I'll prefer to feed earthborn holisticgrain free primitive then royal canin, earthborn holistic primitive sounds like a better kibble then royal canin as it don't have wheat and all those other grains.

I'll prefer to feed earthborn holisticgrain free primitive then royal canin, earthborn holistic primitive sounds like a better kibble then royal canin as it don't have wheat and all those other grains.

You prefer to feed it? Okaaay. Have you actually had Missy try it yet? What you think it "sounds like" and how your dog does on it might be a tad different you know.

Your choice. I find it hard to comprehend why you are complaining about the cost of chicken frames if you're prepared to pay that for kibble. Its VERY expensive.

The reason I suggested Royal Canin is because I use it on the basis of advice from experienced Whippet people and my dogs thrive on it. So do a lot of sighthounds.

Your dog needs a balanced quality diet. She is still growing. All this faffing around is not in her interests. Get her onto something she likes, and that she does well on, whatever the brand and leave it well alone. Your current version of a raw diet is unlikely to be balanced.

she tryed the earthborn coastal catch but wouldn't eat it, don't think she liked the fish in it, the primitive is chicken,turkey and fish. I'm going to be tougher on her either she eats this kibble or goes without, A healthy dog will not strave themselfs if food is offered to them. This whippet would prefer to eat cat,bird poo then her kibble.

she tryed the earthborn coastal catch but wouldn't eat it, don't think she liked the fish in it, the primitive is chicken,turkey and fish. I'm going to be tougher on her either she eats this kibble or goes without, A healthy dog will not strave themselfs if food is offered to them. This whippet would prefer to eat cat,bird poo then her kibble.

A dog fed food it enjoys doesn't turn it's nose up.

Why on earth you won't try a a few more brands to find something the dog likes beats the bejesus out of me. I've done this and the ONLY brand my Whippet would eat with gusto was RC. And believe me, I tried quite a few. Frankly I was prepared to let him find one he liked than rather than watch him turn into a toast rack because I wanted to be "tough". I don't care if the kibble is made from humanely harvested organically grown rabbits and has no grains - if the dog doesn't like it, it's a poor choice.

Is it so hard to try a few sample or small packs (grains or not) and feed the dog something she LIKES???

I give up.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I don't get paid till tommorrow I'm looking at all food I can get here locally from petstock or pets domain. I can get Iams,eukenaba,royal canin,pro plan,earthborn holistic,advance,hills science diet (which I wouldn't like to feed), I can also get dr Bs barf patties. I'm really looking at food that doesn't contain alot of grains mainly corn I don't like.

Mts, I think feeding raw is good and I think your Missy knows exactly what is good for her. Start slow and adhere to a simple menu and she will be fine. Raw isn't too difficult or expensive, but make sure you do it right. If you want to stick with kibble, what about grain-free options like totw or canidae?

Mts, I think feeding raw is good and I think your Missy knows exactly what is good for her. Start slow and adhere to a simple menu and she will be fine. Raw isn't too difficult or expensive, but make sure you do it right. If you want to stick with kibble, what about grain-free options like totw or canidae?

The only grain free kibble I can get here is earthborn holistic. If I were to go for totw or canidae I would have to get it online and I'm not too keen on that, altho probably get it cheaper online its just the hassle of having to wait till it arrives.

Then keep up the raw and the wings a few times a week. Add a few pieces of liver and kidney and take out the yoghurt and cottage cheese. I think pork is fine and I feed it often with no issues.