Missy Threw Up

potatoes compared to wheat,rice,oats,corn. I think potatoes are better then wheat and corn will ever be. The only way you will get a complete grain free food is to feed raw.

Why?

There are plenty of grain free kibbles on offer. Most have protein levels that are through the roof. You might not consider that to be an issue but I do.

Fad surfing in canine nutrition is all fine and dandy - but your lack of success in feeding your dog a diet she does well on should be an indicator to you to rethink some of these issues.

Its been said time and again that the best diet for your dog is the what it does best on. Palatability is an important part of that.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

potatoes compared to wheat,rice,oats,corn. I think potatoes are better then wheat and corn will ever be. The only way you will get a complete grain free food is to feed raw.

Why do you say potatoes are better? Just curious......

If you follow the prey model of raw then a herbivore is far more likely to consume oats etc than potatoes.

Guest english.ivy

she tryed the earthborn coastal catch but wouldn't eat it, don't think she liked the fish in it, the primitive is chicken,turkey and fish. I'm going to be tougher on her either she eats this kibble or goes without, A healthy dog will not strave themselfs if food is offered to them. This whippet would prefer to eat cat,bird poo then her kibble.

A dog fed food it enjoys doesn't turn it's nose up.

Why on earth you won't try a a few more brands to find something the dog likes beats the bejesus out of me. I've done this and the ONLY brand my Whippet would eat with gusto was RC. And believe me, I tried quite a few. Frankly I was prepared to let him find one he liked than rather than watch him turn into a toast rack because I wanted to be "tough". I don't care if the kibble is made from humanely harvested organically grown rabbits and has no grains - if the dog doesn't like it, it's a poor choice.

Is it so hard to try a few sample or small packs (grains or not) and feed the dog something she LIKES???

I give up.

Why do some people seem to think grain free = less filler?

Fair enough if your dog has an intolerance to the grains but the grain free kibble has filler too......potatoes!

Well said and I respect both of you. Though I'm sure MTS won't listen to a word of it.

Plenty of dogs fart, hell even humans do too.

I'm yet to find a food execpt for raw that agrees with Missy, Can someone please explain how will a dog just feed meat/bones and organs have that nice shiny soft coat? This is why I gave my dogs eggs and flaxseed oil as I don't think meat/bones and organs would do it. As I said raw is new to me.

I'm yet to find a food execpt for raw that agrees with Missy, Can someone please explain how will a dog just feed meat/bones and organs have that nice shiny soft coat? This is why I gave my dogs eggs and flaxseed oil as I don't think meat/bones and organs would do it. As I said raw is new to me.

So you're experimenting on a growing pup with no real science behind what you're doing? Do you really think that's a good idea?

Did you know, for example, that you shouldn't feed only flaxseed oil? You need to rotate it with other oils or feed a blend.

For pity's sake if you want to be a raw feeder then buy some books and learn what the hell you're doing. God knows, you were advised here by one of the most experienced and knowledgeable raw feeders in the country and you've ignored her advice.

What was 'wrong' with Missy's diet when you got her? Are you saying the breeder raised her on something she wasn't doing well on?

If you want to experiment then do it on your adult dogs and grow your pup on a balanced commercial diet.

Still waiting for your take on why potatoes are better for a dog than grains by the way.

the person who I got missy off feed her mainly bones and cheap arss homebrand supermarket food but only a small handfull, she was feed mainly bones that was it. So these ingredients are better

royal canin junior

dehydrated poultry meat, animal fats, maize, dehydrated pork protein*, wheat, beet pulp, wheat flour, rice, maize flour, hydrolysed animal proteins, vegetable protein isolate*, maize gluten, fish oil, yeasts, soya oil, minerals, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), egg powder, marigold extract (source of lutein).ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 11800 IU, Vitamin D3: 1000 IU, E1 (Iron): 46 mg, E2 (Iodine): 3.6 mg, E4 (Copper): 16 mg, E5 (Manganese): 60 mg, E6 (Zinc): 199 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.08 mg - Preservatives

Compared too

earthborn holistic grain free primitive

Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Egg, Tomato Pomace, Apples, Blueberries, Carrots, Peas, Spinach, Garlic, Yucca, Taurine, Cottage Cheese, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Beta-Carotene, Vitamins, Minerals, Probiotics.

MTS - go read up how meat MEAL is made. I'm surprised there is anything left after the heat treatments its been through. Bumping up the protein is all it can offer.

If a dog didn't have a genuine intolerance to grains I would choose the RC over the EBH anyday, simply based off the first 3 ingredients.

the person who I got missy off feed her mainly bones and cheap arss homebrand supermarket food but only a small handfull, she was feed mainly bones that was it. So these ingredients are better

royal canin junior

dehydrated poultry meat, animal fats, maize, dehydrated pork protein*, wheat, beet pulp, wheat flour, rice, maize flour, hydrolysed animal proteins, vegetable protein isolate*, maize gluten, fish oil, yeasts, soya oil, minerals, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), egg powder, marigold extract (source of lutein).ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 11800 IU, Vitamin D3: 1000 IU, E1 (Iron): 46 mg, E2 (Iodine): 3.6 mg, E4 (Copper): 16 mg, E5 (Manganese): 60 mg, E6 (Zinc): 199 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.08 mg - Preservatives

Compared too

earthborn holistic grain free primitive

Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Egg, Tomato Pomace, Apples, Blueberries, Carrots, Peas, Spinach, Garlic, Yucca, Taurine, Cottage Cheese, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Beta-Carotene, Vitamins, Minerals, Probiotics.

For my dogs? Yes.

I tried the fancy schmancy grain frees and MY DOG DIDN"T LIKE THEM. That alone makes them a poor choice.

Where's the nutritional advantage potatoes give over grains?? I look forward to your explanation. You've been asked 3 times for it.

At least there is MEAT in RC. Not just meal. First three ingredients in that food are meal and potatoes. And for that you pay through the nose.

And you know what? I know 10's of sighthound breeders and owners who successfully raise their dogs on RC. That matters to me.

Frankly MTS, you have no idea what you're doing and you're being seduced by a few poorly researched assertions about what's good for dogs and what's not. In the meantime you've got a dog that doesn't eat well when mine would knock the bowl out of my hand if I let them.

With your track record on raising dogs, I don't think you're in any position to take the high ground about what you feed. But if you do, then for God's sake stop starting thread after thread looking for the miracle food to feed your dogs. There ISN"T one.

If you email a few different companies they will likely send you out samples to try. Ordering online is very easy and it should take less than a week to reach you. Provided you know what you want and don't leave it until the last minute that should not be a problem. If you have to wait a few days then give them raw in between.

Given that Missy is still a growing pup you really need to be careful with what and how you feed her. I popped the link to the Billinghurst books in an earlier post, they will give you the correct ratios and amounts if you wish to make your own raw and also explains about supplements, oils, veggies, etc.

I have a copy of "The BARF diet" right here. I'm happy to lend it to you if you'd like? PM me if you're interested.

If your finding raw too difficult, expensive or time consuming commercial is going to be a better option for your pup.

Guest lavendergirl

Mts, I think feeding raw is good and I think your Missy knows exactly what is good for her. Start slow and adhere to a simple menu and she will be fine. Raw isn't too difficult or expensive, but make sure you do it right. If you want to stick with kibble, what about grain-free options like totw or canidae?

The only grain free kibble I can get here is earthborn holistic. If I were to go for totw or canidae I would have to get it online and I'm not too keen on that, altho probably get it cheaper online its just the hassle of having to wait till it arrives.

I buy TOTW online and it only takes 2 days for delivery - no hassle at all. I use the grain free Salmon variety which has a lower protein level around 25% I think which is low compared to a lot of the other grain free.

My sighthound doesn't like dryfood because she doesn't like to chew. :o So I have chosen a dryfood with smaller sized bits and I mix it with either chicken or beef mince. They get approx 50% raw meat and 50% dryfood. I like the idea of feeding raw but don't have the time/will to do it properly. Add in a few chicken frames and a big meaty bone each week and that works for us.

I'll admit I would have to be the most anti-kibble/anti-dry food/anti-filler person on the planet (cept I don't claim that potatoes are better than grain lol). I feed raw because my pup loves it and because it's good for her and isn't full of crap she doesn't need.

The second thing I'll admit is that I'm the most unknowledgeable person when it comes to what quantities of what and how often when it comes to raw feeding, so I do the sensible thing and buy pre-made patties made by someone who DOES know what they are doing.

I don't think it's more expensive than making your own (especially not if you weigh up cost vs benefit) and you're not d*cking around with something important like your dogs health.

So whatever moral high ground you're attempting to take with the anti-grain/pro-potato kibble, and although I totally applaud you wanting to try something better for your dog by feeding raw - doing something half a$$ed isn't doing her any good in the long run.

I'll admit I would have to be the most anti-kibble/anti-dry food/anti-filler person on the planet (cept I don't claim that potatoes are better than grain lol). I feed raw because my pup loves it and because it's good for her and isn't full of crap she doesn't need.

So was I.

Then along came Howard - who refused point blank to eat my BARF mix - no matter what I did.

So now they all get RMBs and kibble. And they're doing just fine. :)

Dogs don't give a toss about our feeding philosophies. But they do know what they like.

sorry I didn't know chicken meal etc was bad. If meal is so bad then why is black hawk considered a premium food its first ingredient is lamb meal then ground brown rice. People say grains are bad for pets yet why do we still feed kibble that has grains? from what I read earthborn holistic is very close to taste of the wild grain free formulas. Sorry for trying to find a kibble that is low in grains, I haven't ruled out royal canin I just want to know what benfits would this food do with Missy compared to other brands, Right now I'll prefer to buy local till I find a kibble Missy will eat.

sorry I didn't know chicken meal etc was bad. If meal is so bad then why is black hawk considered a premium food its first ingredient is lamb meal then ground brown rice. People say grains are bad for pets yet why do we still feed kibble that has grains? from what I read earthborn holistic is very close to taste of the wild grain free formulas. Sorry for trying to find a kibble that is low in grains, I haven't ruled out royal canin I just want to know what benfits would this food do with Missy compared to other brands, Right now I'll prefer to buy local till I find a kibble Missy will eat.

because it's a cheap filler.

Well one benefit for your dog might be that she'd like it.

RC send out samples - email them and you'll get a few meal sized bags.

I know there's a lot of hullabaloo about grains but unless your dog is sensitive to them, feeding grain is OK as far as I'm concerned. Just don't feed kibbles where grain is the main ingredient.

It was cereal millers who invented dog kibble as a way of using milling byproduct. The better dog food manufacturers do a fair bit of research and there are some good products around.

How can I tell if she is allergic to grains? She can eat cooked brown rice without problems and oats she is fine with. From what I've read maize is the same as corn and corn is something I don't really want in dog food. From what I've read and seen online it said potatoes are better cause there a whole food and there cooked, Don't know if its true or not its just what I have seen online. They say the first 6 ingredients is what is most in the food. They also said by products are no good. The kibbles I can get locally are pro plan,eukanuba,Iams,holistic select,eagle pack,science diet,royal canin,advance,earthborn holistic. Out of all them which brands do you reckon I should try?

Looking back a this thread, you had researched how to feed raw and set about making a raw diet. I thought your diet looked good.

So Missy is liking the food and doing well on it.

She vomits ONCE after a seemingly busy night, could have been anxiety related, car sickness, stress etc etc etc and you want to change her diet after one event?