Anyone Boarded At Doggy Farm Stay Middle Dural?

JoAnnP

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately I think these kind of establishments pop up because of the sookie lala my dog is my 'baby' cotton wool society that we have become. 'Cage free' grooming salons are becoming more popular too. Pet owners hate the thought of fluffy sitting in a nice safe secure 'cage' for maybe 1/2 hrs until they get picked up, but seem ok with, in fact seek out, establishments where all & sundry breeds/sizes/types run together in a highly dangerous and distraction filled environment. Whether well managed or not 'cage free' is a disaster waiting to happen because dogs are, after all, free thinking individuals with powerful bodies & bites & the will to use them .....

I am mystified why anyone would think this was a good way to board dogs. The website rings alarm bells for me too. Even normal kennels that let dogs from different homes run together in the exercise yard are a real danger. I know someone who had their 8 months old BC bitch puppy killed by two dogs she was let out with at a kennel somewhere near Yass a couple of years ago. She had only been boarded overnight while they came to Sydney for a family celebration and they were not told she would be put with any other dogs.

Dogs are not always happy in kennels but it is far more important that they are safe, than happy.

Another horrifically sad incident dancinbc's :eek: Poor BC pup :( She was only there overnight. Such a shame.

I don't know why people would think it a good idea to have their dog stay in a place where all these strange dogs ran together. Is it just the romantic notion

that they are all going to be 'friends' & play together or something :shrug: I too hate the idea of locking up my dogs but much prefer it to them being injured or worse.

I have to be hospitalised within the next year & will be out of action for 6 weeks so I was thinking of boarding mine for 1 to 2 weeks just to get me over the initial first

part of recovery. I just don't know if I trust anyone enough to look after them & then you here all the horror stories about kennels. Makes me more than a little worried.

I certainly wouldn't put mine in a place where they were mixing with any other dogs apart from each other. I think I too would look for someone who is very breed savvy &

with lots of experience.

Edited by BC Crazy

unfortunately I think these kind of establishments pop up because of the sookie lala my dog is my 'baby' cotton wool society that we have become. 'Cage free' grooming salons are becoming more popular too. Pet owners hate the thought of fluffy sitting in a nice safe secure 'cage' for maybe 1/2 hrs until they get picked up, but seem ok with, in fact seek out, establishments where all & sundry breeds/sizes/types run together in a highly dangerous and distraction filled environment. Whether well managed or not 'cage free' is a disaster waiting to happen because dogs are, after all, free thinking individuals with powerful bodies & bites & the will to use them .....

Yep, this is pretty well how it is I think. I was asked recently what sort of Enrichment Program I offer for my Grooming dogs.

:dropjaw: OMG everything about this is wrong, wrong, wrong......... To me that is negligence, pure and simple. If there was a fight or mauling someone should have been on hand to stop it and get the poor pooch to the vet, no excuses and I doubt if any T&C's cover negligence.....

I am so sorry for your loss.....

Edited by Tazar

Yep, this is pretty well how it is I think. I was asked recently what sort of Enrichment Program I offer for my Grooming dogs.

That's so true. People just don't realise that putting unknown dogs together can be dangerous. When I put my dogs in kennels my first priority is to keep them safe. So I don't go to any kennels that run dogs together or put a number of dogs from different households together. While the kennels say that they check for temperament etc to see if the dogs would do well together, I just don't trust anyone else to make those decisions for my dogs. So I prefer kennels that can guarantee that my dogs won't interact with other dogs.

I wonder if the other dogs owners know what happened?

Things like this worry me, my girl is dog aggressive, if put with another dog there is a good chance of a fight. How the hell do you know that the kennels are doing the right thing by any of the dogs.

The last kennel I worked at ran dogs together. I was ok with it most of the time as is was up to the owners to say yes it no.

I started to work out a way to leave after the staff would grab random dogs who's owners were not ok with it and have their dogs play as well :(

Guest lavendergirl

Where are these kennels that put dogs in single kennels and don't allow them to mix with others? I don't think there are any in Brisbane - that I know of. Any that I have enquired about always mix dogs either in the kennels or at "play time". Happy to be told about any that don't.

Where are these kennels that put dogs in single kennels and don't allow them to mix with others? I don't think there are any in Brisbane - that I know of. Any that I have enquired about always mix dogs either in the kennels or at "play time". Happy to be told about any that don't.

White Rose Kennels in Walloon.

They know dogs and are not anthropomorphic at all. They know what dogs are capable of if circumstances are not managed, so the dogs are managed with care and kept separately unless the owner specifically requests that their dogs be allowed to be kept with each other. I ask for my two dogs to be kept separate when boarding, and that is what happens. They have plenty of different yards, large and small to accommodate all sorts of dogs' needs.

Even the way the dogs are kept in the kennels there prevents them stirring each other up or being able to challenge each other through the enclosures. The owners are really on the ball.

I am so horrified to read this thread. For me, boarding is about keeping a dog secure, safe and comfortable in my absence. And that is what White Rose is all about and what all professional kennels should be about.

Poor Jack, that is bloody horrifying.

A couple of years ago when I boarded my dogs I specifically told the kennel that one of mine was DA and could not be run with other dogs. When I called to check on them they told me my DA dog "was not very good with other dogs" :mad Needless to say I was furious! They even told me 'oh yes I can see there on his file it asks he is not to be run with other dogs', but they obviously disregarded this.

Edited by huski

bloody hell that is terrible I am so sorry for your loss of Jack, I ahven't even read the website yet.

I am not in Brisbane but will not and do not run dogs together from sifferent families and double cjheck dogs from the same family are fine to be kenneled and run together - I had two that would kill each otehr if they were put in together. All of my runs inside and out are fully covered over the top to make sure no dog can climb into the kennel next door and also there are solid partitions between the inside part of the dog run so when dogs are placed next to each other I make sure they are suited as they can see each other through the outside part. I designed them this way to address any heat issues in summer. I was worried about hot air being trapped in summer.

It horrifies me that kennels run any dogs together that are not from the same household it is a disaster waiting to happen

bloody hell that is terrible I am so sorry for your loss of Jack, I ahven't even read the website yet.

I am not in Brisbane but will not and do not run dogs together from sifferent families and double cjheck dogs from the same family are fine to be kenneled and run together - I had two that would kill each otehr if they were put in together. All of my runs inside and out are fully covered over the top to make sure no dog can climb into the kennel next door and also there are solid partitions between the inside part of the dog run so when dogs are placed next to each other I make sure they are suited as they can see each other through the outside part. I designed them this way to address any heat issues in summer. I was worried about hot air being trapped in summer.

It horrifies me that kennels run any dogs together that are not from the same household it is a disaster waiting to happen

Edited by Dingbat

Dingbat

first of all. this is NOT your fault, so try not to feel guilty about it.

Second, i know you are in a bad palce now, but please dont fall for the "dog aggression means human aggression" thing, my SBT hates other dogs, and would allow a child to do anything to her

I hope your family can get through this horrible event. but just remember, this is the kennels fault, not yous

Dear all - thanks for your kind thoughts. Yes I made the stupid mistake of my life and will carry the overwhelming guilt forever. Two toddlers, a ridiculously busy job and not enough time to think straight. a crushing reality to live with, especially with a three year old who constantly asks when jack is coming home. And my other three dogs who were seriously depressed for some months after.

FYI, I have learned

- dog kennels are effectively unregulated - 'self regulated' via the Companion Animals Act in NSW

- locals councils have NO interest in the running of kennels other than land use zoning/permission

So no one has responsibility.

Outrageous, huh! No wonder puppy farms can flourish in this country where animal welfare laws don't exist.

FYI I lodged a complaint with Hills Shire. They

1. Never formally interviewed me despite contacting them many many times

2. Said they didn't need to speak to me because 'I was overseas and by definition was not a witness to the event'

3. Concluded that there was nothing to be done because 'no one witnessed the event'

4. Sent the owner of the business an application so they could apply for approval to operate kennels!!!!!!

So two dangerous staffies are out there running around and their poor owners probably don't know that their own beloved dogs need to be carefully managed. I feel sorry for them. As I said to council, if these dogs did this to my harmless and unprovocative little jack, they could do it to a child.

I believe what goes around comes around. This person has it coming big time.

Take life slowly, friends.

It was an innocent mistake on your part. When you use the services of a business in Australia you are entitled to expect the service will be done professionally. We have laws about that. To open a facility for dogs without any sound knowledge of dog behaviour - that is the stupid mistake. Very stupid.

All dogs need to be carefully managed. It was the situation that caused the staffies to act how they did, they are no more likely to hurt a child than any other dog is. If you put strange dogs in a big pack together, and add some in some things that dogs like, like toys or bones or just the territory itself, you will get dogs challenging other dogs. In this case they had two dogs who are physically sturdy and tenacious of character in with a light framed dog, it's just a recipe for disaster.

That is why these type of places are never going to work. And it is fairly annoying to hear claims by people that they are capable of managing dogs in this type of situation. When I hear that I just think that the person has not enough experience with dogs to know what can go wrong. :(

hi JoannP

I've sent you a pm about a private set up that I have used for my Cavalier...excellent set up and care. Hope it may be helpful. I have told the owners that I would happily recommend them to any Cavalier owners. if you speak to them just say Stars owner sent you!! Lol

hi JoannP

I've sent you a pm about a private set up that I have used for my Cavalier...excellent set up and care. Hope it may be helpful. I have told the owners that I would happily recommend them to any Cavalier owners. if you speak to them just say Stars owner sent you!! Lol

Thanks Liebhunde!! I've sent you a message - very kind of you

JoAnn

Dear all - thanks for your kind thoughts. Yes I made the stupid mistake of my life and will carry the overwhelming guilt forever. Two toddlers, a ridiculously busy job and not enough time to think straight. a crushing reality to live with, especially with a three year old who constantly asks when jack is coming home. And my other three dogs who were seriously depressed for some months after.

FYI, I have learned

- dog kennels are effectively unregulated - 'self regulated' via the Companion Animals Act in NSW

- locals councils have NO interest in the running of kennels other than land use zoning/permission

So no one has responsibility.

Outrageous, huh! No wonder puppy farms can flourish in this country where animal welfare laws don't exist.

FYI I lodged a complaint with Hills Shire. They

1. Never formally interviewed me despite contacting them many many times

2. Said they didn't need to speak to me because 'I was overseas and by definition was not a witness to the event'

3. Concluded that there was nothing to be done because 'no one witnessed the event'

4. Sent the owner of the business an application so they could apply for approval to operate kennels!!!!!!

So two dangerous staffies are out there running around and their poor owners probably don't know that their own beloved dogs need to be carefully managed. I feel sorry for them. As I said to council, if these dogs did this to my harmless and unprovocative little jack, they could do it to a child.

I believe what goes around comes around. This person has it coming big time.

Take life slowly, friends.

Don't blame yourself, you left your dog there in good faith, as many people do with boarding facilities all over th eplace. You expect to get all your dogs back but if something goes wrong you expect to be informed as soon as they possibly can and you expect to the dog to recieve appropriate treatment as soon as is possible.

I know you will blame yourself it is human nature, but the blame falls squarely on the boarding kennels shoulders not yours. It is also terrible they have not been held accountable.

RIP Little man