Do Dogs Mark With Number 2's

I guess my title says it all, My golden retriever pup is around 10 month's he was desexed about 3 weeks ago. Usually on our walks he would mark peeing on as many things as he could and would only ever poop once. After being desexed it was like a switch turned it off and he completely stopped marking. Until this week on every walk we have been on he has pooped 4 times which is a real pain to pick up and carry. Is there any reason he could be doing this, his diet hasn't changed what so ever and he isn't going the bathroom in our yard. Do dogs mark by pooping or is it something else. Thanks in advance

Guest RosieFT

I believe my fox terrier bitch does it for sure. It is SO annoying as the first two are normal but by the 3rd it is like she is just doing it for the hell of it and the poo is usually really runny and almost impossible to pick up.

I try and distract and stop her but not always successfully.

I have no idea, but my 10month old GSD entire bitch scratches/kicks the earth sometimes after doing no 2's.

Does doing this mean anything?

Yes- when she does it, she's actually laying a scent marker for herself and other dogs.

Dogs have scent glands on their paws, scratching the ground releases the pheromones from the glands.

Isn't it a little too soon to desex your dog at 10 months? should have at least waited till he's full grown i guess.

depends on the growth plates in the individual dog. My 11 month old boy's growth plates are closed so he could be desexed now but he isn't fully mature yet and won't be for another 2 years.

ETA to get back on topic, yes I had a male dog who I swear poo marked.

Edited by Rebanne

Guest donatella

Isn't it a little too soon to desex your dog at 10 months? should have at least waited till he's full grown i guess.

Isn't that a totally subjective choice left up to the owner and their vet? I had mine done at 6 months and I'd much prefer to go off the advice of my vet then some random off the Internet.

Guest english.ivy

Totally up to the dogs owner and their vet.

My male, desexed, Pointer just started scratching dirt up when he either pees or poops. He is two years of age.

A few times he done it while I've been too close, so I guess I've been marked :laugh:

Totally up to the individual.

I know many who de sex at 12 weeks.

This way they never end up at a puppy farm. :thumbsup:

Well I went off my vet's advice, and like someone said its better than some random on the internet's advice. It was actually a hard decision because when I researched it on the net so many people had unsupported information and opinions on the best time to do it.

Anyway back on track it's kinda of good to hear that my dog isn't the only one that does this. My next question is can I stop it? Once he has gone the first time would it be ok to correct him every other time he tries to go or would this make him scared to go at all.

I really just don't want to have to have to carry 4 bags of *&^# and since it has only been going on one week I would love to stop it.

train your pup to toilet on command :) best thing you'll do!

start by watching him, and when he poos , say "toilet' or whatever ..and praise him ... do this EVERY time for some days ...then, when you notice him stop...and start to squat,,say your word ... then say the word when he slows down or whatever he does ...then when you are both comfortable with this ..try taking him to a spot he uses often, give him lots of leash ..and just say the word a couple of times ...don't watch him, or anything too intense...and HEAPS of praise if he does something ...

I have our house dogs trained to respond to a word ..and it is so funny before bed ..we go outside , and there are several dogs ,and two cats who all toilet , plus a couple of 'free range' puppies have learned by watching ...so they go too :)

Guest english.ivy

My cats litter tray is in my ensuite, so whenever I go in to the bathroom and use the toilet, the cat comes in and goes to the toilet at the same time.

Didn't train her to do this, she learnt herself. Even though she has access to the tray all the time.

Even when we all wake up and I go to the toilet first thing, she comes in and goes too.

I have seen male and female dogs poo mark. Really weird looking. Shove their bum up against the tree/surface and poop onto it. :laugh:

I remember someone in here posting a picture of a poo their Beagle (I think it was?) had done up against the coffee table :laugh: :laugh: