Tummy Troubles

teekay

Luka, our Aussie Shepherd pup, is nearly 16 weeks now and is a delight. Over the last week though he has had a few tummy troubles.

We have been feeding Black Hawk holistic morning and evening, with chicken necks most days for a light lunch. This has been his diet for the last 3ish weeks, no problem.

Last week he started doing really sloppy poos so, to begin with, I dropped the chicken necks. Still sloppy so decided to give plain boiled chicken and rice for a day. All seemed ok so next day went back to Black Hawk, but think I didn't give him long enough on the chicken/rice so his poos went really sloppy and one was even worse, really liquid.

Back to chicken and rice and I waited unitl I had got a good few solid poos out of him. Yesterday he had chicken/rice for brekkie. I re introduced a bit of black hawk for lunch and chicken/rice for tea. No problems, Nice healthy poos yesterday and this morning, so today I went back to giving him Black Hawk for all his meals (didn't want to risk ckn necks yet). Tonight he has just done another sloppy poo. :(

Should I have kept up with the chicken and rice longer?

I'm thinking maybe I should give him chicken/rice for a day then day 2 chicken/rice for brekkie and tea with a bit of black hawk for lunch. If all's good, day 3 chicken/ rice for brekkie. Black hawk for lunch and dinner and day4 back to all black Hawk. Is this a good plan? Any other suggestions? I really hope it's not the black Hawk. I like it as it is a small kibble and good quality one without being too expensive. He was fine on it for a good few weeks so hopefully it's not that.

He is due to be wormed next week, don't know if that is relevant. He isn't a poo eater or anything like that.

Oh and he is absolutely fine in himself. Lively, playful, great appetite, still putting weight on. :thumbsup:

And isn't doing lots of poos, same amount as normal (3 a day) just gooey.

Thanks for any advice. :)

Wouldn't pumpkin make it worse, I thought you gave them pumpkin to loosen up the system confused.gif

I'm just throwing this out there cause its what I've been through but my pup can't handle lamb, I had her on the black hawk puppy and it didn't agree at all, she also can't handle lamb off cuts so I've cut lamb all together and we are much better. When she had the tummy troubles I did boiled chicken and rice until she went back to solid #2's which was usually 3-4 days. Was your pup on black hawk when you picked luka up?

If he's doing OK on the chicken & rice, then reintroduce the BH far more slowly...it may be a bit too rich for him, but strange how he has been OK for 3 weeks on it. Just wondering what do you give him for treats as dried liver treats will give lots of pups the runs & I mean really runny :vomit: I agree with the comment on getting hold of chicken poo (or bird poo).

Edited by sheena

Sorry to hear your doggy is having tummy troubles. It's quite common when they're young and mine still occasionally have a bout of runny poo - during which time I switch them to plain boiled rice and chicken for a day or two until it goes away. Mine are both on Royal Canin which seems to suit them fine, then again, they've never really had sensitive tummies but I believe (from what I've read on DOL) that RC is quite popular for puppies and one of the better kibbles.

Wouldn't pumpkin make it worse, I thought you gave them pumpkin to loosen up the system confused.gif

I'm just throwing this out there cause its what I've been through but my pup can't handle lamb, I had her on the black hawk puppy and it didn't agree at all, she also can't handle lamb off cuts so I've cut lamb all together and we are much better. When she had the tummy troubles I did boiled chicken and rice until she went back to solid #2's which was usually 3-4 days. Was your pup on black hawk when you picked luka up?

No he was on Supercoat but we were getting lots of poos on that and wanted to change over to something of better quality. As I said though, he had been on BH for quite a few weeks with no problems so I am doubting it's the food itself.

If he's doing OK on the chicken & rice, then reintroduce the BH far more slowly...it may be a bit too rich for him, but strange how he has been OK for 3 weeks on it. Just wondering what do you give him for treats as dried liver treats will give lots of pups the runs & I mean really runny :vomit: I agree with the comment on getting hold of chicken poo (or bird poo).

Treats have been Happy Paws Training treats. Again, he has had these for weeks and has been fine.

Interesting about the bird poo. That is a possibility. We have lots of birds walking around on our lawn, especially Plovers, so it is possible he has been eating some of that.

I have actually continued with the BH today as this morning's poo was fine. He has done another since and alls good so far. It's raining here today so he has been inside mostly. So no access to bird poo. We will see how the rest of the day goes.

Thanks for the input. :)

The vets told us that it can take up to 6 weeks for kibble to get fully into their systems, like humans and vitamins. We got half way through a big bag of black hawk before all the problems became evident which would account for the 6 weeks like the vet said.

Has he been itchy at all?

I'd also agree with above posts about them eating bird or chicken poo, I've seen runny poos after seeing my pup do that.

Edited by Tara8430

I give chicken/pumpkin for tummy troubles ... then once he ok I then add a little regular food but keep him on some chicken/pumpkin. I keep increasing regular food and reducing chicken/pumpkin.

I found my boy was sensitive to grains and beef so it may be a case of checking what ingredients are in the original food but not in the new food that may be causing an issue ... or it may be a cause of a tummy bug.

Disappointed. :( Luka has just been out and done a really runny poo again. Can't understand what is going on. It seems like the morning poos are ok but as the day wears on they get runnier and runnier. He is due for his 3 rd vaccs on Tuesday so will have a chat with the vet.

Am going to give him chicken and rice tonight and tomorrow and see what the vet says on Tuesday. May get a small bag of some chicken based kibble as well but if it was the BH wouldn''t all of his poos be sloppy? Grrrrr I'm so frustrated, I hate not knowing what is going on.

Disappointed. :( Luka has just been out and done a really runny poo again. Can't understand what is going on. It seems like the morning poos are ok but as the day wears on they get runnier and runnier. He is due for his 3 rd vaccs on Tuesday so will have a chat with the vet.

Am going to give him chicken and rice tonight and tomorrow and see what the vet says on Tuesday. May get a small bag of some chicken based kibble as well but if it was the BH wouldn''t all of his poos be sloppy? Grrrrr I'm so frustrated, I hate not knowing what is going on.

Good luck with your puppy...hope you get it sorted soon, but I just had to add.....how gorgeous are your dogs :) Just make sure he's not getting anything like liver treats, cause they can go through them like a ton of salts.

How did you go with your pup?

Ive now got the same problem, runny poos but i know Abbey is going after bird droppings (Yuck!) going to give her rice and chicken tonight and try and get her back to normal.