Help, My Dog Is Mysteriously Scared Of Me!

For the last few of days, my boy Hugo has been doing the whole ears down tail down routine almost every time he sees me and I don't know why. He's fine as usual around my mother and doesn't act this way in her presence, only me (which leads me to believe it's not medically-related and he's not in pain or anything), and it only started from very recently. I've noticed that he appears utterly terrified of me every time I approach him with outstretched hands and even if I have a treat in said hand, he's still too scared to take it from me. This has never been an issue before, in the past I used to always squeal and go up to him with outstretched arms and he'd stand on his hind legs happily waiting for me to come over and cuddle/scratch him.

We had a huge play this morning, some ball throwing and tug of war, and he was 100% fine and normal and his delightful self during play sessions, he still shoves me with his nose to get pats every now and again when I'm at the computer; but when we're not playing, if I directly approach him for a pat (entailing usually walking over to him with my hands out, making baby talk at him), he looks at me like I have a steak knife in my hand and I'm going to cut his eyes out. It's heartbreaking (and really frustrating)! What's going on?? :cry:

Mmmm strange one, have you recently had a radical hair cut, or perhaps changed purfume? Looks or smell are usually the first things the dogs notice. Hope he comes good and things get back to normal soon. Others might have more of an idea!

No I haven't.. :( I've been at home studying for the last week or so and barely left the house except to go to uni. So no changes in perfume or haircut or even clothing actually (though I don't think my pajamas are yet at the stage where they scare people with their odour--they're getting there though). It only started very very recently (I started noticing it around Wednesday/Thursday).

It's so weird, just now I called him over into my lap and he settled down quietly into it for a little while for cuddles, then I moved him onto his bed, stood up, looked back at him, and his ears pushed back and his tail drooped and his whole body cried "I'm submissive!!". I don't know what's going on..

That is weird, hopefully one of the resident dog whisperers will be along with some more suggestions, Its not like he would be going through a fear stage as he is older now. Perhaps you have inadvertently given him a fright without realizing at some stage and it has stayed with him?

Perhaps you have inadvertently given him a fright without realizing at some stage and it has stayed with him?

That's what I was wondering - does he sleep with you? Could you have been yelling or flailing in your sleep at some stage?

Very strange :( Hopefully he'll get over it in a few days.

I don't remember giving him a fright.. I would have thought I'd noticed if I had :(

He isn't actively encouraged to sleep with me, he sleeps on the floor next to me but every now and again he'll ninja hop up onto my bed without me noticing. I haven't had night terrors of the violent kind as far as I know or my family members or boyfriends know, though. Gah, he's not listening to me when I call him now, either. I have to call him with a toy in my hand or it's a mad dash to put distance between us for him :( This is SO frustrating.

edit: 1 year, 9 months and 4 days :p

Edited by Dju

Is he a very sensitive dog?

My Ridgeback can behave like this towards me if I'm stressed out or anxious (regardless of how well I think I can hide it).

I wouldn't rule out pain either. When he's playing it may not be apparent. Check his ears too.

Maybe he just doesn't like the way you're approaching anymore? :confused: Not many dogs like to be approached in that way. As my girl matured she definitely mellowed out and became a bit more snobby!

Maybe with your studying you haven't been acting the same to her and she's not scared but confused. Possibly act neutral don't make too much fuss of her just have some treats and give them to her if she comes to you. Maybe she's figured this new way of behaving is getting attenion. Also a nice walk, good for students and dog! Good luck for exams.

Without seeing what's going on, possibly you've given him a fright without realising, or he's associated that fright with you. Or there is something physical going on and he's associating whatever that is with you?

I wouldn't continue to approach him in the same way you have been. I'd back right off but focus on having some fun with him, get some of his favourite treats and do something with him - it's not about bribery, but getting him back working with you and viewing you as a source of fun. Does he have some simple tricks you can work on? Something really simple to get his confidence up. Does he have a favourite toy? What kind of things does he really love doing with you? Extend the offer to play but don't insist, let him come to you because he wants to. If he doesn't, put it away and go back to it again later.

If it continues with no improvement beyond the long weekend I'd take him to a vet, just to be sure there is nothing physical going on.

just on what you've written ..it almost sounds as if ,sometime, when you have approached like that, at the same time he has has a pain twinge,(maybe standing up , or when hugged) or there's been something which concerned him , and now, that posture of yours brings back those feelings?

have you tried..instead of approaching him - and encouraging him to do stuff, as previously - sitting/squatting, and call him to you for a 'hello' , while he's sitting calmly ? treats/hugs ..then just go about the routine .Maybe a change like that could help?

Dogs which are excited, like us, can zig when they should have zagged..and tweak a muscle or joint momentarily .

Thanks so much for all your input guys, I'll definitely try it out once I'm home from uni tonight :)

I'm thinking that's possible, Pers, maybe when he stands up on his hind legs and I hug him I involuntarily cause him pain of some kind?? I should probably stop doing it, I was always doing that because he looked so delighted to see me and I wanted to reward him for being happy with a cuddle I guess :laugh: This morning he seemed 80% fine while I was rushing around getting ready, but that's only because he freaks out when I leave and so he was anxious to hang around me as closely as he could to try and prevent that from happening, I suppose. But again when I approached him, cooing, he did the same posture and hid under the table.

I've been trying to isolate what specifically causes him to be scared, and I found he isn't scared of me with my hands behind my back or at my sides. He's only scared when my hands are outstretched towards him. SO I tried it when I was sitting, I stretched my hands out towards him with my fingers splayed and he was terrified then, too.

So I think I might possibly maybe know what the cause of this is.. My mother never approaches him with her hands out, BUT she used to do something else.. when she was in the bathroom with the door open a couple of months go, I only just learned recently that he's been stepping inside the bathroom and she's been flicking water from her wet hands onto him, frightening him into leaving the bathroom. So this also explains that when I go to the bathroom and he flops down to watch ( :laugh: ), he stays there up until I get up and turn the taps on to wash my hands (he gets up and bolts). Does anyone think that might have some correlation, the positioning of my hands in a "flicking" motion?

yes i really think you have nailed it!! tell your mum to stop flicking water at him, just close the door if she doesnt want him in there.

also i would stop approaching him with outstretched hands and crouch down on greeting dont bend over him or reach for him, get him to come to you..

just my 2 cents worth anyway. best of luck

I would have him on a lead, stretch your arms out - fingers splayed (in the fashion he's not keen on) and give him a yummy treat. Naturally, tone things down a little so that his emotion doesn't escalate to excessive stress or panic. As he becomes more comfortable with the toned down body postures from you, begin to increase the body postures, one baby step at a time. Each time, giving him a treat and as you progress, encouraging him to come in closer to you to receive the treat until he's comfortable no matter what body postures you are exhibiting.

ETA: No coochy-cooing to him - just treat it all as a bit of fun and that he's being a silly dumby at wanting to slink off.

Edited by Erny