For Those Who Say There Are No Or Less Risk

This morning, we moved the horses around in the paddock. Down the back paddock we found a domestic long hair cross cat sporting this tick.

He is in advanced stages of paralysis tick poisoning. He was rushed to the local vet hospital for treatment. (Yes my vet does treat Found animals).

This cat is not ours and really just reinforces the need to keep your animals confined to your property. One lucky cat if he survives that we decided to move the horses around the paddocks this morning, otherwise he would not have been found.

post-430-0-13058800-1339642996_thumb.jpeg

Next time someone tells you ticks are not a problem in Winter - show them this photo.

I have not seen a tick this large in a VERY long time.

No arguments from me. Many winters ago my family nearly lost one of our toy poodles to a paralysis tick. Because we weren't living in an area where they were commonly found, it was deduced in the end that the tick itself came to our house on a load of East Coast firewood. So yep, can still happen in winter!!!!

My suburban local vet in the St.George area has had clients with ticks too this Winter.

Vet in the country has had them too.

I loathe them too.Always worry about them, for humans and for pets and livestock.

There have been reports on current affair programmes about Limes Disease being found here despite government claims it isnt in Australia.

Wish there was a more effective control for them.

YIKES!!

Im paranoid about ticks and I live in a very suburban area!

Me too.

My suburban local vet in the St.George area has had clients with ticks too this Winter.

Vet in the country has had them too.

I loathe them too.Always worry about them, for humans and for pets and livestock.

There have been reports on current affair programmes about Limes Disease being found here despite government claims it isnt in Australia.

Wish there was a more effective control for them.

I used to only worry about them getting on the dogs until Today Tonight did the stories on lyme disease. My son lives in Ulladulla on the south coast of NSW & his dog had a tick early August last year while it was still very much cold. My granddaughter has also been covered in baby ticks I too wish there was a more effective control method to eradicate them from the environment or control like with heart worm.

Update on the cat:

He has survived the night. The vets found two more ticks on him yesterday. He is on IV fluids however the next 24 hours will be the next test. The first 48 hours are the worst they have to get through.

I did spray the puppy run with "Brigade T&O" before letting loose my baby puppies out there. A similar product is "Coopex" made by Bayer.

It is not a fool proof way to prevent them, but I wanted to at least minimise any potential risk of baby puppies from getting tick paralysis. I did spray about a week to a few days before putting them in the run.

This just proves another reason why you shouldn't let your cats roam. :mad :mad

Very lucky that you found him! Thank you for taking him to get treated. I hope this gives his owners a wake up call. Fingers crossed for him!

We've seen several cases of paralysis tick poisoning so far this winter (which has barely even started!), including an 8 week old golden retriever puppy...

The owners say the pup got the tick from playing in the backyard of their beach house as they haven't taken the pup out yet (not fully vaccinated).

Edited by aussielover

the wet is driving them up

that looks like a brown tick , did the vet say was paralysis tick

lady in my agility club found one on her dog last week

It was Paralysis. While on the cat it was the light grey.

I live in a very high paralysis tick area and I know a paralysis tick when I see one (have seen enough in my time and removed just as many off the livestock and dogs). It is not often you get to see them that large and to that stage. They animal if contained within their owner's property would have been showing signs long before we found the cat and the tick would not have been as large.

Aside from that. The Vet confirmed paralysis tick. Even the vets had commented they had not seen a paralysis tick that large in some time. It has been some 20 years since I have seen a tick get that large on a host animal. Between the vet taking it off the cat, putting it into a specimim bottle then back out to me and my I-phone camera in the waiting area.. the tick had darkened up quite a bit. I-phone cameras are not known for their clarity or great photo taking capabilities.

The sign on the vet wall when I was in there they have had 9 paralysis tick cases for June already requiring hospitalisation.

Very lucky that you found him! Thank you for taking him to get treated. I hope this gives his owners a wake up call. Fingers crossed for him!

Considering it has been legislation since 2008 that ALL Cats MUST be confined to your property at ALL TIMES...

Sigh.. Don't get me started..

Edited by Mystiqview

the wet is driving them up

that looks like a brown tick , did the vet say was paralysis tick

lady in my agility club found one on her dog last week

It was Paralysis. While on the cat it was the light grey.

I live in a very high paralysis tick area and I know a paralysis tick when I see one (have seen enough in my time and removed just as many off the livestock and dogs). It is not often you get to see them that large and to that stage. They animal if contained within their owner's property would have been showing signs long before we found the cat and the tick would not have been as large.

Aside from that. The Vet confirmed paralysis tick. Even the vets had commented they had not seen a paralysis tick that large in some time. It has been some 20 years since I have seen a tick get that large on a host animal. Between the vet taking it off the cat, putting it into a specimim bottle then back out to me and my I-phone camera in the waiting area.. the tick had darkened up quite a bit. I-phone cameras are not known for their clarity or great photo taking capabilities.

The sign on the vet wall when I was in there they have had 9 paralysis tick cases for June already requiring hospitalisation.

It was the colour that i was wondering about,blood must have dried and made it dark , all I have seen are as u mention lighter

Couldn't agree more!

Considering it has been legislation since 2008 that ALL Cats MUST be confined to your property at ALL TIMES...

Not in NSW it isn't.

Not in NSW it isn't.

Well it should be..

People should be responsible and keep their animals at home. Regardless whether it be dog or cat.

• 4 weeks later...

As the title says...

I found 2 paralysis ticks on Honey this morning. :cry:

We spent last week in near freezing weather in the southern highlands. I had given her Proban (thanks god!) and was not expecting to find anything this morning, but yet...

She appears 100% fine, still a guts, still full of beans and moving and breathing nromally, so I left her home and went to work. Hubby has been commanded to go home early to check on her. I'm feeling a wee bit panicky about it all though. :(

We had to take my mum aged 77 to the Dr ( whoops nearly said vet :rofl: )last week to have a tick removed from her neck. They live in a town house here on the Gold Coast so you would think tick safe.

I am heading to Murwillumbah for three days of dog showing on Thursday so I will make extra care to do tick treatment and keep an eye on him. Its a known tick area and a number of dogs got ticks last time we were there. Its not easy to find a tick thou on a Newfoundland