Chicken Necks And Roo Meat For Puppies

luvs_mutts

Quick question, I have a 13 week old puppy; was wary about giving her chicken necks at this age (she is a pug) but my local pet food supplier says it's fine. Also, she keeps eating my other dogs raw roo meat; I worm her regularly; is this OK? She doesn't appear to like the puppy food (Natures Gift canned puppy food) the breeder recommended. Can anyone help?

To me this would be perfectly OK as part of her diet, but you need to be a bit careful if the pup is only used to canned food as her stomach may not be able to digest the cartilege in chicken necks. Take it slowly, introduce the new more difficult to digest food gradually and you should have no problems.

What else did the breeder's diet sheet include because honestly I find the idea of only canned puppy food to be totally unsuitable.

Mine get necks, raw meat etc from 4-5 weeks of age so it's nothing to do with 'is she old enough' but a lot to do with what her stomach can adjust too and how long it will take

Quick question, I have a 13 week old puppy; was wary about giving her chicken necks at this age (she is a pug) but my local pet food supplier says it's fine. Also, she keeps eating my other dogs raw roo meat; I worm her regularly; is this OK? She doesn't appear to like the puppy food (Natures Gift canned puppy food) the breeder recommended. Can anyone help?

be careful with chicken necks I have lost a frenchie she choked on one

most cut up or smash them....I don't feed them since the tragic and terrible accident with my Gracie

also be careful with things like pigs ears and raw hide as frenchie ( I know you have a pug but still a braccy bred ) have choked on them

Pugs and Pugs puppies are more than capable of eating chicken necks, wings and even lamb flap. As Sandra has suggested it's wise not to overload the pup with bone and new foods that they are not used to.

Roo mince is fine, however you need to be aware that it is not balanced in terms of cal/phos and this needs to be taken into account when feeding it.

The puppy will be fine without the tinned food.

What else does the breeder recommend? have they suggested a premium dry food ? If not you might like to look at Royal Canin ( Pugs do well on this ), Advance, Pro Plan, TOTW, Canidae and the list goes on, all of which will be a better alternative to what's in a can.

I find the raw chicken wings safer. No necks here, they have got stuck in the teeth. Cut the wing in half to start with & supervise.

Sometimes canned puppy food is easier, & millions of pups do fine on it, maybe try another brand. The roo is ok as long as pup eats some puppy dry as well. Mix them together if pups not keen on dry.

I think it depends on the pup, if you pup is a gutser and inhales her food you need to be careful. I second the wing suggestion, they have to work at these and are not as easy to swallow whole. All my guys were fed wings occasionally from 8 weeks. without any problems.

Frodos mum, what an awful and devastating thing to happen.

Nothing wrong with the necks or the meat you may just need to go slowly.

I always start tiny bubs on meaty bones and huge pieces so they have to learn to chew their food and have had no problem with any of mine eating necks, wings etc from then on. If you have a pup that hasn't been accustomed from weaning hold their bone for them and teach them chew to get it out of your hand. Some gulpers can be retrained this way.

Thanks for your help. No excuse on her behalf but when I picked up my puppy the breeder (who is also a racehorse breeder) was super busy and didn't give me a sheet with all the foods etc. when I asked her she wrote them by hand but wasn't indepth. I know I could call her but I just wanted some feedback. I might try the necks but only under supervision.

I brought home a baby mini schnauzer 6 weeks ago and he was being fed cooked chicken, rice and kibble. Within 3 days he was switched over to completely raw. I started giving him chicken necks but put them through the food processor initially. After a couple of weeks, I just cut them into smaller pieces and he manages to chew through them. He also gets chicken frames, also cut into smaller pieces. As yet I haven't given wings, but intend to do so once he finishes the frames. I give him a variety of meat, including kangaroo, but I buy the human grade. There's not much that he has turned his nose up at. Basically he is fed what my older boy gets now only smaller pieces. I think he is trying to tell me that he doesn't want the kibble anymore as he leaves most of it in his plate. I bought a 3kg. bag when I got him and still have a good portion of it left. I am loathe to throw it out, so I give him a small handful every now and then.

be careful

Roo may be too rich for a small breed puppy.

I've had two different vets tell me no bones until 6 months of age.

I know there are breeders that do differently.

My Vets would be quite puzzled by that.

I give my pug pups bones from around 6 weeks old, at first they just suck them but by 7 weeks they know what to do with them. By the time they leave home from 8 weeks old they are already eating chicken wings and necks with no problems at all.

I have found vets have very different views on giving dogs bones, I was even lectured about how irresponsible I was for giving my middle aged Maltese chicken bones...others tell me what ever I am feeding to keep doing it because of the condition they are in.

This pup was around 8 weeks old and knew exactly what to do with chicken wings and necks.

013.jpg

Regarding chicken frames, I've never been game enough to give one to my frenchie, do you just give them whole or cut them up or what? are they ok to give to braccy breeds? I give him chicken necks smashed with a meat tenderiser and cut into small pieces.

Whatever bones etc you feed her, you just need to watch her and not leave her alone with them. People will try and scare you with "don't feed chicken necks/wings/etc as pugs can inhale and choke on them", but they are perfectly fine to feed, supervised.

My pug inhales her chicken necks and chicken feet (I feed them frozen to make them last longer, so she licks them for about a minute then swallows them whole, it's totally disgusting to watch a whole chicken foot disappear inside her mouth :laugh: )

Roo can be a bit rich for puppies and isn't a very "well balanced" meat. Separate your dogs at feeding time to make sure they eat their own food, but if she doesn't like the tinned (smart puppy!) feed her proper food (raw meat, which it sounds like you are feeding your other dog already?). Skip the tinned and dry crap, go for the decent stuff.

My pups are fed raw roo, raw beef mince, raw chicken mince and chicken necks along with dry food from a very young age. Chicken necks are initially sucked by the pups until they learn to chew them. They are also given lamb flaps to chew on. Roo is a rich meat so you would need to introduce it slowly or the pup may get the runs etc. I've only ever fed tinned food to assist with weaning for a few weeks. Personally I think tinned food is a crappy and lazy diet for dogs,but that's just my opinion :)

Puppies need more protein and fat than adults, if you like I will PM you a diet sheet for pug babies which is half premuim puppy kibble, half BARF.

I feed all my pugs chicken necks as a regular part of their diet but after a couple of times rescuing them from choking, now I just take the meat cleaver to the necks and chop them into three or four pieces when I am bagging them up for the freezer, they can inhale these without problems.

I have chook carcasses on hand for the larger rescues, occasionally I will take the meat cleaver to those and feed them to the pugs too, but I just cannot bring myself to offer chicken wings - I have a nightmare of them poking their eyes with the joint while chomping...probably unfounded I know, but...:o