Weight Gain (cavaliers)

RoseRed

Can some of the cav breeders give me an idea on what kind of weight gain to expect from puppies?

I've got a lot of variation in the amount that my 6 day old litter has put on, but at least they are gaining.

However, one of the pups has lost weight. I've started supplementary feeding, so hoping the little pup will improve. But I would just like some idea of what weight gain we should be looking at.

I wouldn't expect a puppy of any breed to be losing weight at 6 days old. My whippets gain around 10-100grams per 24 hour period, some days more, some days less. They are around 11-14kg as adults so they are a bit bigger than a Cavvie.

Rule of thumb is to approx. double the birth weight in the first week. But any steady gain is good. A loss after the first 24 hours is of concern if not explainable (ie. not getting a regular turn at the teat).

a pup weighing 212gms at birth weighed 403 on day 6.

a pup weighing 292gms at birth weighed 537 on day 6.

a pup weighing 240gms at birth weighed 397 on day 6.

Daily gains varied widely from 10gms to 50 gms.

Edited by LizT

Thanks Liz and Whipit. Looks like I need to give all of them some extra feeds. Rang the vet this morning and ordered some more puppy formula, as I only have a small box as part of my whelping kit (in case of emergencies). But it looks like these little ones might be needing it for a while.

Thanks Liz and Whipit. Looks like I need to give all of them some extra feeds. Rang the vet this morning and ordered some more puppy formula, as I only have a small box as part of my whelping kit (in case of emergencies). But it looks like these little ones might be needing it for a while.

I'd be inclined to give mum the extra feed and have them on her more often.

Do you mean give her puppy formula too? Or just to bump up her food?

I'm feeding her at least two times a day, but usually three. Plus calcium and nutrigel.

Do you think it's a good idea to separate the pups into two groups when it comes to feeding? Like let four on for a feed, then swap over for the other three? Or would the first group just get the best milk, and the 2nd lot would be missing out?

How many pups has she had?

I would be feeding a lactating bitch 4 times a day of good quality food, small meals often.

If she has had less than 6 pups then they should be getting plenty of milk and you shouldnt need to supplement, if mums supply is good. Is the one thats losing weight very small?

Do you mean give her puppy formula too? Or just to bump up her food?

I'm feeding her at least two times a day, but usually three. Plus calcium and nutrigel.

Do you think it's a good idea to separate the pups into two groups when it comes to feeding? Like let four on for a feed, then swap over for the other three? Or would the first group just get the best milk, and the 2nd lot would be missing out?

I would be upping mums food and feeding good quality 4 times a day or even free feed

Puppies I put all together but watch for each feed to make sure all pups are getting on and that smaller ones arent being pushed from the teat by the more exuberant puppies

I too would be feeding four times a day - 4 times her normal food, plus adding puppy milk or formula to her water several times a day if that will make her drink more. First food early and last meal late.

I think you need to supervise all feeds to make sure the pup not gaining is getting the best teats every feed. At least you will know quickly if this is the problem or not. :)

As stated above. :)

Remember milk production is about "supply and demand". If you supplement the pups you are taking away mums oportunity to produce enough milk to happily feed the seven pups.

Feed mum "the good stuff" and give her the puppy milk. The more good quality food she gets the better her ability to produce enough milk. You will then cut her feed back gradually at about 6 weeks as she naturally weans her brood. Supervise and rotate pups if you are concerned someone is missing out.

Edited by LizT

Looks like one of the puppies has either fading puppy syndrome or failure to thrive, whatever it is called.

This is not the original puppy that I was worried about (that one seems to be improving/putting on weight)

This one went downhill quite quickly. She is very lifeless/floppy. Has a mewing kind of cry. Stopped feeding off mum. Seems to often be separated from mum or siblings.

When I first noticed her weight was dropping I started feeding from a syringe (wombaroo). However, I have also now taken her out of the whelping box and put her is a small box with a hot water bottle. Also when I feed her, quite often milk comes out of her nose.

I've never experienced this before. Thank goodness all my past puppies have been healthy. But I am really worried that I am going to lose this one, as she is just so weak :(

Does anybody have any advice?

We lost her :(

Feel devastated.

So sorry Rosered. It sounded like this puppy may have had a small cleft palate. Milk from her nose is an indication of this. She may have been able to keep some milk down depending on whether the teat pressed against the small hole and made a seal. But often infection will set in and the puppy will get ill and die. :cry:

So sorry to hear of her passing. :rainbowbridge: Run free little one. We lost our only boy from a cleft palate on day 3 with my first litter. He left 5 sisters behind.

I got up at 3.30 to feed her and she was still hanging in there, but died about 2 hours later. I was thinking maybe she had a small cleft palate too. I had had a bit of a look at her mouth and couldn't see anything, but it may have been further back.

Also after doing some reading, I am wondering if she was also hypoglycemic.

In my head, I think I know that it's better (for her) that she has passed. And I think maybe Dani realised something was wrong, because she didn't seem to be caring for her as she is for the others. So in my head, I know it's probably the best that she is now at peace, but it is still pretty upsetting when it happens. So thanks Liz

I got up at 3.30 to feed her and she was still hanging in there, but died about 2 hours later. I was thinking maybe she had a small cleft palate too. I had had a bit of a look at her mouth and couldn't see anything, but it may have been further back.

Also after doing some reading, I am wondering if she was also hypoglycemic.

In my head, I think I know that it's better (for her) that she has passed. And I think maybe Dani realised something was wrong, because she didn't seem to be caring for her as she is for the others. So in my head, I know it's probably the best that she is now at peace, but it is still pretty upsetting when it happens. So thanks Liz

Understandably upsetting. :hug:

When I had to PTS our little boy at three days I teared up and was surprised at how much the loss was felt! A life has passed and needs to be aknowledged, however short.

Edited by LizT