Rant Alert!

Dju

Guest lavendergirl

Pitbulls are banned in Brisbane. It is only a matter of time before the dog is reported to Council - it is up to you whether you want to address this now or at a later time. The future is not hopeful for the poor dog anyway with such bogan owners. :mad

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May be an idea to approach them about possible solutions to the problem, let them know of your concerns and offer solutions that would benefit you both :) rather than having things get nasty :(

We tried; he's ininterested in training the dog and he can't afford fencing/puppy preschool. He also said it's none of our business what they do with their dog.

Are you able to get some second hand fencing materials from somewhere like freecycle or ask friends relo's and neighbours if they could help you put something up.

Also if you could get cuttings of fast growing dense shrubs to block that part of the fence and it would keep your dog from getting close to the fence .

The poor pup must be bored witless,i would report them for hitting the dog.

Purdie, we'd report them too, if only we didn't have a dog. We're almost fearful of reporting them and them knowing that it's us that did it because I've made comments about them hitting the dog. My mother hit me over the head when I told her I made that comment and yelled at me something about whether I wanted them to throw poisoned steaks over the fence and that they're primitive people and you can't reason with primitive people etc.

Haha, do we know if they rent? We don't even know what their names are (actually I think the dog is called Voodoo, but that's about it). How would you go about finding their landlord anyways?

Does Hugo go right down to the back fence? Such close interaction would certainly put your dog on the radar, and build up frustration in the neighbour's dog.

Can you run a cheap electric wire fence and only give Hugo half of your backyard? Wire is cheap and you could run a 6 strand high fence in the event the dog does ever get onto your property. There will be no perfect solution sadly

Yeah he does, he's delighted by other dogs and always wants a sniff and that's what sets the dog off. We have some spare metal sheeting that we used to construct the chicken house, do you think maybe if the dog can't see Hugo he won't know he's there? I'm just clutching at straws here; in the perfect life, I'd build a water-filled moat full of crocodiles around our house to protect Hugo. An electric fence might be an idea, do you mean to put it on top of the fence seperating our properties? More importantly, will it work to keep the dog out?

The neighbours dog will still know he is there, but if you keep Hugo from going right down to the fence at least you will reduce the amount of frustration building. If the dog is getting a fix out of the adrenalin it gets from going feral through the fence then it might start looking to increase the interaction with Hugo. If there is nothing exciting happening between the fence hopefully Hugo just becomes part of the 'furniture' so to speak.

If Hugo is a soft type of dog then just a small barrier should stop him going down to the back fence, but if he is also getting a thrill from trying to sniff the neighbours dog then you will need a bigger deterrent. An electric fence is the most cost effective means for you.

Edited by Inevitablue

You may need to buy an enclosure for peace of mind, I would suggest something big enough to keep the other dog out not just to keep yours in. Same as already posted but bigger.

The poor bloody dog is stuffed anyway, if you are feeling threatened by them in anyway then make the call to the council sooner rather than later. They won't expect you if you don't have any further contact with them.

Cheaper option would be an electric wire or tape on top of the fence but it will be useless if the dog goes under the fence or gets in somewhere else if it escapes it's own yard, it already knows where your dog is and might come after him if it gets out.

You don't sound rude, SecretKei, but it is quite difficult. If the run costs more than $150-200, we don't have it. We have enough to feed him premium food, to give him checkups at the vet, to give him flea/heartworm/whatever treatments every month, to buy him toys, and to feed and clothe ourselves and to pay the rent. There's no more money left, my mother is on the dole and I'm on youth allowance.

You could probably do it for around $250 (or less) if you could get the materials second hand. You don't need to fence the entire boundary, just a section of the yard, perhaps the area closest to your house. Basically you are creating a temporary yard within a yard.

A roofed dog run would be the safer option. We have one of these, they are decent and relatively cheap:http://www.cheapaschips.com.au/showproduct.asp?sk=BA9582 If you look around you may well be able to pick up something cheaper second hand.

As already mentioned, you don't need to keep Hugo in there 24/7. Only when you can't supervise - ie, if you were to leave the house for a few hours and wanted to leave him alone outside. He can still play in there, dig, roll around in the sun, etc. Make it his own little place where her can eat bones, tie a tug toy to the roof with a bungee cord, put a sandpit in there or a pool, a nice warm kennel. When you're home you can leave the gate open so he can go in and out as he pleases. He'll love it.smile.gif It would also protect your dog if a bait was thrown over the fence.

If the neighbours dog is still a pup you could try a hot-wire along the top of the fence to deter him. Though if the dog has any brains he'll find a way around it (unless you were to do your entire boundary which is probably not going to work for you).

Can you attach some bamboo screening along that part of the fence immediately? It's cheap - $15 for 3 metres long by 6ft high from the Reject Shop. Not very strong but will add height and act as a visual deterrent.

OHHHH! I think I just got what it meant when everyone was talking about "supervising" Hugo.. :laugh: We're at home pretty much all day, 7 days a week, there's always someone in the house and if we go out, we never leave him in the yard, we lock him inside a bedroom. Is that slightly better? At least if the dog attacks him, we'll hear it and it would take two seconds to get outside. The dog is terrified of humans so maybe it'll stop attacking if it sees us? Oh GOd, I hate talking about this like it's actually going to happen :cry:

I think the brains have been smacked out of the dog next door by the look of how hard the guy was hitting him. I'll look for some bamboo fencing at the Reject Shop the next time I'm out shopping, maybe the dog will forget that Hugo exists, idk.. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I want to report the dog/owner but some people in this world are truly crazy, and I don't want to experience my first dog being baited!

Guest donatella

You need to report these people the RSPCA, no dog should have to endure a life of abuse from its piece of s**t owners :(

Guest lavendergirl

If you are witnessing dog cruelty you need to report it - sorry no way around it. There will be a bad ending to this one way or another - don't let the poor dog suffer years of abuse. Are there other neighbours you could talk to for support or to find out if the house is rented?

What they're doing is training the dog to hate other dogs, that's what their method does.

The fences are clearly not good enough to contain that kind of dog. And a menacing dog can be declared dangerous, and then it will need to be kept in a run with a concrete floor and a mesh roof. It will become your neighbour's problem - where it belongs.

I wouldn't bother trying to help them or reason with them or any of that, it will only make them angry. I can't help thinking their last dog was probably taken away from them, and that's why they have a puppy now. So they may well be known to police and at least once council already - because of the dogs they choose to have and the way they train them.

Keep your dog safe. I guess if their dog bounces on the fence, you can reduce the attraction and fun of it by taking your dog inside each time (give him a treat or attention) and only allowing him to stay outside if their dog behaves acceptably. It's hard on your dog but would keep him safe. And not reward the other dog for being inappropriate. And hopefully get it punished less often too.

That dog will not forget about Hugo. Sound and scent are always present. :(

Blocking vision though might help a bit.

If the dog is a pit...then maybe someone you know ,and who lives elsewhere can just happen to notice it (maybe from the front of their place? ) and report it.

A chicken wire/bamboo fence won't do much to keep a strong dog out.

I recommend getting or making a looong line for Hugo ..so you can play fetch etc down the park /beach safely ..and do heaps of training, so when he's home, he is happy to veg out :)

If you hear a fight ...the time it takes you to get out there and stop it may not be fast enough . A dog who is aggro and has latched on properly will really not hear/feel much :(

Good luck with your plans :)

Agree pers. If that dog is DA (and they are raising it to be that way) Hugo won't stand a fighting chance. A 4 ft fence is nothing but a decent jump. Even if I had a run, I'd want it to be very strong, fully roofed and have a concrete trench around it.

Dju - until recently, my dogs lived very happy lives with no garden - just a teeny courtyard. I also work 12+ hours a day, but found the time to walk them twice a day, take them to obedience, agility, they learned tricks, had puzzle toys etc so were happy to chill out at home.

Dju ..LOTS of guide dogs, for example live without a yard of their own :) They are with owners a lot , go out a couple or a few times a day , have lots to occupy their brain , and have learned to 'switch off' when inside .

Yes, it takes work,and dedication ..but he is not too old to have a new lifestyle :)

OHHHH! I think I just got what it meant when everyone was talking about "supervising" Hugo.. :laugh: We're at home pretty much all day, 7 days a week, there's always someone in the house and if we go out, we never leave him in the yard, we lock him inside a bedroom. Is that slightly better? At least if the dog attacks him, we'll hear it and it would take two seconds to get outside. The dog is terrified of humans so maybe it'll stop attacking if it sees us? Oh GOd, I hate talking about this like it's actually going to happen :cry:

I think the brains have been smacked out of the dog next door by the look of how hard the guy was hitting him. I'll look for some bamboo fencing at the Reject Shop the next time I'm out shopping, maybe the dog will forget that Hugo exists, idk.. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I want to report the dog/owner but some people in this world are truly crazy, and I don't want to experience my first dog being baited!

I am so sorry you are having these problems but PLEASE report them for hitting the dog !!!!! That poor dog has NO one to help it out...I cannot BELIEVE that..as you say it's brains may be smacked out by how hard he was hitting it....you have not contacted RSPCA !!!!! PLEASE REPORT THEM !!!

i have to agree. if this isnt a full grown dog and they are hitting it and treating it like shit then this is going to end badly no matter how you look at it. whether it be a dog or a person. you need to report them unfortunantly not only for yours and your dogs safety but for anyone else who could end up in firing line.

how sad that what could of been a WONDERFUL pet is being treated so badly. they have a bad enough rap without idiots like your neighbours making it worse.

Whatever I do, I'm damned--Don't report the owner, the owner might at least be apologetic when my dog is ripped to smithereens; Do report the owner, and the dog potentially goes away but then there's the risk that we're going to have some violent neighbors get very shitty with us and potentially take it out on Hugo when we're not looking. Or do report the dog and there's no proof of abuse, the RSPCA turns up, the neighbor gets shitty at us AND still keep the dog. There seems no win here.

At the very least, it only seems to get hit when it does something "wrong"; five minutes after I took Hugo back inside after the barking contest with the pitty, the neighbor was back outside with the dog playing a game of frisbee with it.

Sigh.. it's just very, very difficult, we don't want to get ourselves into the position where we're in dangerous conflict with the neighbors.