Cane Corso

Daisy

My brothers family recently lost their beloved rotty cross to cancer :(

He has just emailed to ask what I know about Cane Corsos, as it seems my sister-in-law is interested in getting one, as she wants a big tough looking dog for security because they live on a small property (which is why they had a rotty cross, however he was a big softie with a beautiful temperament). The dog would be a family pet though, not a guard dog.

The dog would live in a semi-rural area on 5 acres with stock fencing only. They have another dog, a female Dane cross a few years old. They also have cats, cows, and chooks, and two children, one in primary school and one in high school. My brother has had dogs all his life, but up until now they have not done any formal training with their dogs.

Any information about the breed, and whether they would be suitable, would be appreciated. Thanks :)

have a look in the puppies for sale and follow the links on Famoso and Itacor breeders - lots of good information and these are good breeders. I think they would love to talk to someone serious about getting a Cane Corso.

Lovely dogs - but my god - huge!

I wouldn't advise it either - it is a LOT of dog.

How about a Maremma or Pyrenean ? I think just the stock fencing would be an issue for most dogs though. They might need to consider electric fencing or a containment system. There is no way I would have any type of protective natured dog with basic, farm fencing.

Edited by Clyde

My brothers family recently lost their beloved rotty cross to cancer :(

He has just emailed to ask what I know about Cane Corsos, as it seems my sister-in-law is interested in getting one, as she wants a big tough looking dog for security because they live on a small property (which is why they had a rotty cross, however he was a big softie with a beautiful temperament). The dog would be a family pet though, not a guard dog.

The dog would live in a semi-rural area on 5 acres with stock fencing only. They have another dog, a female Dane cross a few years old. They also have cats, cows, and chooks, and two children, one in primary school and one in high school. My brother has had dogs all his life, but up until now they have not done any formal training with their dogs.

Any information about the breed, and whether they would be suitable, would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Traditionally Guard dogs were/are family dogs. They must protect the family and guard against all else. Inherently in this job discription is a dog which has good nerve and good instinct.

So there is nothing which voids a suitably selected guard bred dog, to also be a family dog - other than the owner understanding what this type of dog is.

The formal training is no biggy. Arguably lots of stupid ideas and understandings are 'taught' to those that have no experience to draw common sense from...

So imo :) the best source to find out if CCs are suitable or not would be to ask CC owners/breeders.

Edited by lilli

RE Fencing:

I dont think any dog could be trusted to not step through farm fencing.

Farm fencing is easily upgraded to dog proof fencing, so I don't feel that fencing - as long as the owners are willing to upgrade - is a breed specific issue. It is paramount for all dogs to be contained.

Edited by lilli

On alternative breeds:

Central Asian Shepherd could be ideal in the circumstance;

as they are family protectors foremost.

But Central Asian Shepherds are very rare, so puppy wise a CC would be more accessible.

Thanks for all the advice :)

The house yard is now fenced, and they have a dog run that can be used if necessary. And i stand corrected, they did take their rotty cross to training classes.

My brother is doing a lot of research and will now contact some breeders for further advice :)

Edited by Daisy

I have owned corsi, I live on a property too. They were a dismal failure with other dogs and stock when unsupervised. Formal training probably prevented supervised problems. I returned mine to their breeder, they went to fantastic homes without temptations.

It is paramount for all dogs to be contained.

You are my champion you know Lilli :flower: if only everyone shared your fencing stance!

Daisy it sounds as if your brother is putting thought into his choice and so he has my thumbups :) Funny that this thread title caught my eye, a customer at work has Corso pups for sale soon, and I remember thinking at the time 'I can't remember the last time I even heard the breed Cane Corso mentioned!' But then I'm sure they are more widespread in the dog community outside of my "rural" city ;)