On The Puppy Hunt... What Breed?

Sunnyflower

I have fallen in love with my Mum's Havanese. He is just gorgeous!! He is outgoing and loves to play, he especially loves exploring outside and chasing leaves. Harley is only a puppy but so far has a beautiful silky coat and doesn't mind being groomed. He has SOOO much personality and everyone that has met him has fallen in love. Great little dogs in my opinion!

I have to put a vote in for the Havs too.

I love them to bits and I am always hounding BittyMooPeebs lovely dogs for cuddles whenever we are at the same show :o

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, lots of suggestions! Thank you guys thumbsup1.gif

My DH would never let me get a Crestie. Whilst I am sure they are lovely dogs that likely fit the bill they are a very different looking little dog.

CW EW It really is what my heart says but I'm worried the fear will taint the bond I build! How do you find the personality differences in Charlie & Emmie?

I understanding completely what you're saying. But, I think once you get that pup in your hands, those fears will slowly fade away. I will be very careful on choosing another CKCS and research the crap out of the pedigree.

Do you know the cartoon 'Pinky and the Brain'? That's Charlie and Emmy. They are absolutely opposite like day and night. But, they gell. Emmy needs Charlie's calm and confident to not freak out, whereas I think Emmy was put on earth for Charlie. Emmy gets his moving by annoying him and always getting him to play.

I love The Sibs together. They are made for each other.

Thank you CW EW! Both you & Jed agree getting another Cavalier is the best choice for me and I do 100% agree. I just thought I would ask the question to see if there was anything on par to these little guys but I'm not sure there is!

That's wonderful the Charlie & Emmy are little kindred spirits! That's all any owner could ever want for their pets is for them to find their match.

Guest donatella

Pomeranian! The cutest small dog (I'm biased), rarely shed, can get away with a brush once or twice a week. My girl is full of energy and a robust little champ

Wow, lots of suggestions! Thank you guys thumbsup1.gif

My DH would never let me get a Crestie. Whilst I am sure they are lovely dogs that likely fit the bill they are a very different looking little dog.

CW EW It really is what my heart says but I'm worried the fear will taint the bond I build! How do you find the personality differences in Charlie & Emmie?

I understanding completely what you're saying. But, I think once you get that pup in your hands, those fears will slowly fade away. I will be very careful on choosing another CKCS and research the crap out of the pedigree.

Do you know the cartoon 'Pinky and the Brain'? That's Charlie and Emmy. They are absolutely opposite like day and night. But, they gell. Emmy needs Charlie's calm and confident to not freak out, whereas I think Emmy was put on earth for Charlie. Emmy gets his moving by annoying him and always getting him to play.

I love The Sibs together. They are made for each other.

Thank you CW EW! Both you & Jed agree getting another Cavalier is the best choice for me and I do 100% agree. I just thought I would ask the question to see if there was anything on par to these little guys but I'm not sure there is!

That's wonderful the Charlie & Emmy are little kindred spirits! That's all any owner could ever want for their pets is for them to find their match.

:D It's what the heart wants. Don't let the fear keep you from listening to it.

You won't be happy otherwise.

I always want to recommend Toy Poodles to everyone, but have to remember that my quiet little girl isn't necessarily the most representative of them! Especially young poodles.

I'd second a pug too, and while I don't know much about Tibetan Spaniels, they do seem (from what I've read) to seem like they fit the bill too. Also, they at least have the spaniel bit in common with CKCS!

If you want a Cavalier, simply go to someone who is "safe", who knows the risks, and who breeds carefully.

But --- there are no guarantees. Buy carefully.

Yes. Very good advice whatever the breed someone is considering.

I happen to have the most beautiful little girl in the world, fiercely loyal, but independent, gorgeous and beautifully natured (unless she doesn't like you!)..she's a Pom...like her 'mother' coincidentally, but that's another story!

I've never had a pug but have good friends who have them and I've decided we will get one one day!

As with any dog a good breeder is essential, the pugs I have met are lively spunky little characters who would do pretty much anything for food :laugh:

They are little fire crackers and some of the most hilarious dogs I've met! They do shed but have the smooth coat you are after.

Aussie3 - I am not actually after a smooth coat, I would prefer fluff! I want something to snuggle into

Thank you for all your help guys. With the help & kind words from Jed & CW EW I think I will go with another Cavalier. I have always wanted a Pug so I'll have a chat with my fiance but I think I need to follow my heart otherwise I will forever be wanting another Cav and three dogs is not happening with a cat, baby & horses to work.

Thank you again. :)

If you decide not to go for another cavalier I second Pug!

I'd be interested in hearing a little more about pugs!

First you need to decide on colour :angeldevil:

I have a black one. He's mad as a cut snake and as frustrating as anything but also an awesome little dog. Keeps up with my Stafford, keeps the Maremmas in the line and is absolutely reliable with my daughter. He is a really tough little guy but also at the end of the day (when he's exhausted) so snuggly and sweet. I won't lie, we had a year of HELL but I feel we are coming out the other end in one piece. I love that he is happy to occupy himself outside and is not whiney or needy. They do also need to be loved a lot and spend time with their people. Food is Alvin's life! House training was reaaaally hard but eventually he got the hang of it - he's only slipped up twice with wees since easter. He's a touchy feely dog and has to be on my lap at night or lying on top of Esme the SBT. Thick skinned and quite able to keep up with the rough and tumble of a child playing with him.

IMG_7760.jpg

Aussie3 - I am not actually after a smooth coat, I would prefer fluff! I want something to snuggle into

Thank you for all your help guys. With the help & kind words from Jed & CW EW I think I will go with another Cavalier.

Probably a wise choice :rofl:

Seriously though, keep a Pug in mind for future, they really are just so great with kids.

Edited by Clyde

Thank you for all your help guys. With the help & kind words from Jed & CW EW I think I will go with another Cavalier. I have always wanted a Pug so I'll have a chat with my fiance but I think I need to follow my heart otherwise I will forever be wanting another Cav and three dogs is not happening with a cat, baby & horses to work.

Thank you again. :)

Oh sorry, I was mixing this up with another breed selection thread :laugh:

Glad you've decided to go with your heart :)

If you decide not to go for another cavalier I second Pug!

I'd be interested in hearing a little more about pugs!

First you need to decide on colour :angeldevil:

I have a black one. He's mad as a cut snake and as frustrating as anything but also an awesome little dog. Keeps up with my Stafford, keeps the Maremmas in the line and is absolutely reliable with my daughter. He is a really tough little guy but also at the end of the day (when he's exhausted) so snuggly and sweet. I won't lie, we had a year of HELL but I feel we are coming out the other end in one piece. I love that he is happy to occupy himself outside and is not whiney or needy. They do also need to be loved a lot and spend time with their people. Food is Alvin's life! House training was reaaaally hard but eventually he got the hang of it - he's only slipped up twice with wees since easter. He's a touchy feely dog and has to be on my lap at night or lying on top of Esme the SBT. Thick skinned and quite able to keep up with the rough and tumble of a child playing with him.

IMG_7760.jpg

That photo is priceless :thumbsup: LOVE the names Alvin and Esme :)