Frontline? Advantix? Collars?

Hi all

What product is safe to use on an 11 week old small (border terrier) pup, but also strong enough for cairn terrier? I have in the pass used

Preventic collars, and found them good, but my concern is with using them now with a young pup all over the cairn terrier is that he will lick, chew the collar.

Frontline, I have heard is good, but is it safe for pups? The spray or the spot on? I have never used frontline product before, but have heard good things about the spray?

Also advatix ?

Please help.

Thanks

Edited by katetk

Preventic collars are recommended for pups over 16 weeks of age.

Frontline spray is apparently safe for lactating bitches so it should be suitable for your situation.

Advantix is safe as long as you use the correct dosage for the weight of the pup.

Sorry the reply is short,I don't mean to be rude but am time crunched. :eek:

Thanks ! Think i I will go with the spray, will be able to do the cairn and the pup. Found a microscopic tick on the pup last night, so am off to the vet this morning.

He is fine, but there is no way I am loosing another dog to those little <insert relevant word for ticks>!

Guest lavendergirl

Research Advantix for small breed dogs before using that - there have been reports of adverse reactions in the littlies.

Research Advantix for small breed dogs before using that - there have been reports of adverse reactions in the littlies.

have never used it before. You are referring to reactions to advantix? Or frontline?

I have nothing but praise for Advantix. Have used it on 4 dogs for over 5 years, never seen a flea or tick on my dogs, despite regularly visiting high tick areas. However not so much praise goes to Frontline...used it for a year at the time I had dogs, that was fine, but then we started seeing many fleas again. And I'm not the only one, I work in a petshop and have had a fair bit of negative feedback from Frontline. I just wouldn't risk it. But then again, we could all be getting dud packets! :laugh:

I'd say Frontline is the safest option...once older I would switch to Advantix as I do hear some complaints that Frontline isn't as effective, never had any complaints on Advantix (but care must be taken if you have cats in the household).

Yes, we do have 2 cats in the house.

I will have a chat to my vet and see what she recommends.

We have never *touch wood* had a flea problem, I am purely after tick products.

Thanks for feedback.