International Travel

Monah

I know of dogtainers and jet pets, and I have applied for quotes from both.

Can anyone with experiences of taking their dogs overseas tell me about both of these businesses and who they prefer and why? I know many breeders often send dogs overseas for showing/breeding etc. and would like to know how the dogs cope (and humans) and how well they travel.. (dogs! :) )

If there are any other animal transport options I would also be interested, and in any details at all that I can get re the journey.

I am investigating Heathrow as the destination.

Thanks.. :D

Don't forget DOLer Wayrod for a quote as well.

I second that.

The dogs travel well usually.

Also remember we have hundreds of dogs that are flying around the world on a daily basis.

I always suggest that the dog is well prepared for the travel by introducing crate training.

Edited by oakway

Don't forget DOLer Wayrod for a quote as well.

I second that.

The dogs travel well usually.

Also remember we have hundreds of dogs that are flying around the world on a daily basis.

I always suggest that the dog is well prepared for the travel by introducing crate training.

Another vote for Wayrod, very professional service, & a lovely bloke to deal with too. :)

Any ideas how to get hold of him? I think his inbox muxt be full :o

I have posted on his wall and he has responded there as well

I have spoken to him by phone and he told he does international travel as well as domestic - his prices are good too :thumbsup:

Edited by Hollys mummy

Monah, my tibbie Annie travelled from Sweden as a youngster. She was imported by an Australian breeder. Good idea to talk with breeders who've done this as they may have some useful tips to help the dog cope.

You'd be wise to consider the airline you are flying and where you are going.

An airline like Lufthansa will allow dogs under 7kgs travel on board as hand luggage, if you are going as well.

However if you bypass using a freight company pay heed to the advice of which vaccinations the dog needs or it will be refused entry if you cannot provide documentation.

Dogtainers and JetPets are the biggest - I personally prefer JetPets but a small company can still offer great service.

You'd be wise to consider the airline you are flying and where you are going.

An airline like Lufthansa will allow dogs under 7kgs travel on board as hand luggage, if you are going as well.

However if you bypass using a freight company pay heed to the advice of which vaccinations the dog needs or it will be refused entry if you cannot provide documentation.

Dogtainers and JetPets are the biggest - I personally prefer JetPets but a small company can still offer great service.

Adelaide is one of the airport terminals where dogs are not allowed, and so must travel as freight and be picked up at the freight terminal - I thought Brisbane was the other - but maybe it is perth? (Regardless of the rules of any particular airline....)

To be honest, I'd like further clarification on the whole "accompanied baggage" situation for dogs because it was my understanding that dogs as baggage on flights from Australia to any overseas country were stopped years ago.

And anyway, the most conclusive information about export requirements can be found on the AQIS website. Regardless of WHO ships a dog overseas there is protocol and procedure that must be adhered to. Some countries require specific blood testing and/or vaccinations such as rabies.

These are, in most cases, best left to the people who are qualified to arrange and oversee them. For this reason alone I would highly recommend contracting a known shipping company to undertake the preparation to export.

Dogs can NOT arrive in the UK as hand luggage, they have to arrive in a crate and they are transported from the airport to the Animal Reception center which is several miles away - here they are vet checked and paper work is checked thoroughly before the person collecting the dog is allowed to get the dog. There is a nice litter reception area with snack machine and magazines while you wait. Dogs coming from a non EU country require an agent to deal with the paperwork (they will not allow the dog to fly without an agent!!) and you have to wait about 5 hours to get the dog after it has arrived at the Animal Reception center.

The staff are very nice there.

When my girl flew in from Iceland she was very happy when she was brought out and 2 of the girls there asked me if I would leave her there for them! :)

Wow, thanks everyone.

and thankyou for link to Wayrod.

I have had a quote from dogtainers for the two inc. crates, one nights boarding, vet check..

Brisbane, singapore, heathrow..

$5200.

I thought that was good, much lower than I expected.

Considering the girls are 28kg and 35kg..

I am awaiting a quote from Jetpets and will ask a couple of breeders I know, who they use as they regularly send dogs OS for shows and breeding purposes.

Of course my main worry is the girl's comfort, safety etc..

Jerojath.. :D

Not sure yet, :) simply making enquiries, I've been seriously thinking of going for a while, and the last two years have spent some time there, and didn't want to come back.. :eek: I go between, What the heck, just go!! and OMG! I must be stark raving mad!!! :laugh:

Edited by Monah

99% of normal healthy dogs travel MANY hours for international flights and land exactly the same. Normal and healthy.

Honestly if the dogs a of stable temperament, used to traveling and unloading in various locations like show dogs, trialling dogs and well travelled pets don't have any problems. To them it is just another stop in life. They can't tell the time, they don't sit there thinking hmmm Its been 15 hours now...... they prob only think I am hungry now or I would like to pee.

Use vet bed over pee pads or something absorbable for their bedding so if they toilet, they can still stay dry. Don't use things like blankets with tassles or potential loose strings that may tangle around legs/feet if chewed.

SECURE a good water holding vessel (Not a dripper bottle unless dog is used to it) and don't worry. Put a toy or something in to amuse them if you think they wil get bored. The first few hours in crates there is a bit of activity going from car to freight area, then from freight to be loaded. loading/shuffling cargo, securing loads, take off all keeps them amused then when flying it is cooler in the hold so they prob curly up to sleep and keep warm. Then landing, uload, etc

Like I said it is only a SMALL % of dogs that don't handle it well but they are prob dogs that don't even handle a trip to the local park....... IMO

99% of normal healthy dogs travel MANY hours for international flights and land exactly the same. Normal and healthy.

Honestly if the dogs a of stable temperament, used to traveling and unloading in various locations like show dogs, trialling dogs and well travelled pets don't have any problems. To them it is just another stop in life. They can't tell the time, they don't sit there thinking hmmm Its been 15 hours now...... they prob only think I am hungry now or I would like to pee.

Use vet bed over pee pads or something absorbable for their bedding so if they toilet, they can still stay dry. Don't use things like blankets with tassles or potential loose strings that may tangle around legs/feet if chewed.

SECURE a good water holding vessel (Not a dripper bottle unless dog is used to it) and don't worry. Put a toy or something in to amuse them if you think they wil get bored. The first few hours in crates there is a bit of activity going from car to freight area, then from freight to be loaded. loading/shuffling cargo, securing loads, take off all keeps them amused then when flying it is cooler in the hold so they prob curly up to sleep and keep warm. Then landing, uload, etc

Like I said it is only a SMALL % of dogs that don't handle it well but they are prob dogs that don't even handle a trip to the local park....... IMO

My dog travelled to the UK and back this year in March with Dogtainers, I thought they were excellent (I mostly dealt with Errol), they booked the dogs on a flight that didn't involve the dogs being unloaded, the dogs stayed on the same plane all the way to Heathrow, we picked them up at the animal reception centre just a short drive from the airport.

Dogtainers were very up to speed on all vet work we needed done prior to leaving here and the UK. It could not of gone more smoothly.....when we dropped the dogs off in Sydney, they had lunch waiting for us, tea and coffee, they were totally awesome. AQIS at Eastern Creek were amazing too.

You are more than welcome to pm me for any other details:)