Broken Rib?

My 14 1/2 week old giant breed was playing with my parents' GSD yesterday. When I went to pick him up, they were concerned about a lump on his rib. It is visible when he's standing. If you feel it it's about 5-8cm of rounded rectangle bump directly on the equivalent of the lowest rib on a human, about 1/3 of the way up his flank from the bottom. You can massage him heavily and there's no pain or discomfort. He hasn't displayed any symptoms of pain or feeling unwell, which makes me doubt there's a break. I would've guessed a bruise, but if I get one it hurts like hell and again, he's not bothered in any way. If it was a human I'd be worried about a broken rib, but with that I'd associate breathing difficulty and intense pain with any movement. Anyone got any ideas and whether it warrants a vet visit or if I should just watch it for a couple of days?

My young Kelpie had a similar lump earlier this year. ETA : reading that again, your pups lump sounds like it might be in a different spot to mines. :o

Not sure if your pup's is the same. Reggie's lump felt fluid filled, like a giant under skin blister. It didn't give him any pain either. The vet visit resulted in finding out (after a fine needle aspiration) that it was just a hematoma. It went down after a couple of weeks.

I would still suggest a vet visit just to make sure that it isn't anything more serious. :)

Reggie's lump

005.jpg

002-1.jpg

Edited by Chequeredblackdog

Actually, it looks like it's in exactly the same spot. It's seemingly gone down a bit today already, from this morning. I might watch it and decide in the morning.

SwaY, they're always supervised and play nicely, but reasonably roughly like two big dogs can. Bumping into each other and other things, pushing each other around. There's no malice on either side and they both enjoy themselves. Frequent time outs to ensure they don't get too tired of each other.

SwaY, they're always supervised and play nicely, but reasonably roughly like two big dogs can. Bumping into each other and other things, pushing each other around.

And those are the very reason many Giant owners don't allow dogs to do it - Far to much risk of injury.

SwaY, they're always supervised and play nicely, but reasonably roughly like two big dogs can. Bumping into each other and other things, pushing each other around.

And those are the very reason many Giant owners don't allow dogs to do it - Far to much risk of injury.

I agree. I ahve much smaller dogs but 2 years ago my MIL was looking after them for a week. I aksed her to stop them playing too roughly, she didn't and I have had a dog with a back leg prone to injury. Next friday she will have a surgery called TPLO for a cruciate issue. I would let them do that either.

• 4 years later...