Hair Regrowth

Inevitablue

My dog goes in for a IV drip today and I nicely ask to not shave his leg.

So I pick up a dog with a massive clipped area :cry:

Any hints for creams, supplements, ANYTHING to get his hair to grown back as quick as possible :( (short haired, double coated breed)

If I knew how to make hair grow I would make a cream sell it to bald guys and be a multi billion-aire

Exactly! Unfortunately there is no way to make hair grow quicker. The only thing I can suggest is that you find a vet who deals with show people, follows instructions and doesn't shave unnecessarily large areas of hair, my vet takes off the absolute minimum. There is a huge difference between a vet who deals with breeders and showies on a regular basis and a 'pet vet'.

Edited by Miranda

If I knew how to make hair grow I would make a cream sell it to bald guys and be a multi billion-aire

lol, bald people have no follicles! there never will be any growth (except for plugs maybe :rofl::eek: )

I want to nourish the follicles as much as possible so they go into overdrive and pump out hair shaft like its an Olympic event :laugh:

I have him entered in 2 weeks, so I will play around with the chalk. I'm wondering, in theory, if rubbing Bio Oil might help. Off to the chemist I go.

lol, bald people have no follicles! there never will be any growth (except for plugs maybe :rofl::eek: )

I want to nourish the follicles as much as possible so they go into overdrive and pump out hair shaft like its an Olympic event :laugh:

I have him entered in 2 weeks, so I will play around with the chalk. I'm wondering, in theory, if rubbing Bio Oil might help. Off to the chemist I go.

In a fortnight you should be fine- it will be noticeable but you will have fur growth. I managed to show my boy two weeks after having blood taken from the jugular vein- so a nice clipped area on the neck. There was a noticeable dip in the fur but it wasn't nekkid!!

I have had some success with Eqyss Mega-Tek Coat Rebuilder

You can order it from Pets on the Park.

Has worked sometimes, sometimes not. But i keep it handy.

Another vote here for Eqyss Mega-Tek Coat Rebuilder & I order it from Pets on the Park as well.

I use this product a lot on my 2 Border Collies. They swim heaps in salt water which can dry their coat out if it's not in tip-top shape.

Also if the sea's are rough or there are a lot of boats out, I have them wear life jackets & sometimes they get rub mark's in their coats from them.

So I just apply this product to the coats when necessary to boost condition & growth. I find it work's really well for us & their coats have never looked

better. Diet plays a very important part in this too though. Good luck, hope I was of some help :)

I used to tell my vet, that if they shave the leg, they don't get paid!

I took a retired bitch in to be spayed last week and they didn't shave her leg at all and I didn't even mention not to shave her!

It really does pay off to train your vet and their nurses! :)

As others said, a bit of chalk to hide any skin colour showing, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks guys :)

I'm surprised already at how the hair is already looking longer. Not that it's going to happen overnight.

The vet is a friend, and did what I needed done for free, so I couldn't really chuck a hissy fit at him :laugh: (but I felt like doing that!!)

Some great suggestions here, especially the Royal Jelly for the bitch between coats

I don't believe you can accelerate hair growth.

You can:

Improve the condition of the coat that is growing back with both nutritional and externally applied products

Use grooming products that make the coat appear thicker