Sick Border Collie Pup

Owey

I would agree LizT when things end up pearshaped for whatever reason especially if the pup is from a registered breeder its mostly only the sympathy people are after or to show a genuine interest and concern. Compassion goes a long way in this world.

Edited by ness

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep currently have 2 purebred pets with chronic illness. One breeder offered no support at all to me. I didn't expect money but a 'how is your dog, hope you are ok' would have been nice. Buying from a registered breeder is no guarantee they are going to give a shit. Bit bitter, sorry.

Sometimes all people need is a bit of tea and sympathy and knowing that you actually give a shit about a puppy you breed and how it's doing, sick or not. Some people react rather rudely to bad news as if you are about to sue them and go into complete denial. :(

I would agree LizT when things end up pearshaped for whatever reason especially if the pup is from a registered breeder its mostly only the sympathy people are after or to show a genuine interest and concern. Compassion goes a long way in this world.

oh yeah, agree totally. Been there and done that :(

And also to add...you can buy a puppy from a registered breeder that has done all the testing etc etc. and that puppy is not immune from illness either. Okay, it's not likely to have the genetic problems that untested parents might pass on but that doesn't mean there isn't some nasties out there that can strike at anytime. You cannot guarantee that it wont, but you should be there as a responsible breeder for your puppy buyer, but does that mean you pick up the vet bills? Each situation is unique. Luck (or misfortune)does have a part to play in it too.

Yep currently have 2 purebred pets with chronic illness. One breeder offered no support at all to me. I didn't expect money but a 'how is your dog, hope you are ok' would have been nice. Buying from a registered breeder is no guarantee they are going to give a shit. Bit bitter, sorry.

There is no way to prevent the mutitude of rare problems that can crop up in any breed or in humans for that matter but the point we have been trying to get across in this thread is that if a DNA test is available that allows you to eliminate breeding puppies affected by a particular hereditary problem, it should be used by anyone producing puppies for any purpose, registered or not. There is simply no excuse for any Border to now be born with TNS, CL, or CEA as they are all so easy to control with readily available DNA testing. The testing of the parents makes the puppies more expensive but it is worth the extra cost for peace of mind and even if you don't understand all the DNA stuff, all you need to remember is that one parent must be clear/normal for each condition for the puppies to not be affected.

Before we had the CL test all puppies were sold with a disclaimer that the breeder could not guarantee that the puppy wouldn't die from CL between 18 months-2 years. Breeders were trying their best to breed around it, fundraising and research was ongoing and the condition was rare but every Border Collie was still at risk and there was nothing more that breeders could do until we, finally after 25 years, got the DNA test we needed.

JulesP has been very unlucky to run into a very uncaring breeder but most of the breeders I know are not like that. The dog concerned has liver shunts and she is only the third case I have ever heard of in Borders, so it is excedingly rare and not something that could have been prevented. In fact I came across the first case I had heard of when researching all the reported possible TNS cases when we started trying to get that DNA test developed. One breeder had a very ill puppy that she suspected had TNS in but it turned out to have a liver shunt not TNS.

Owey and Baileys's Mum, I hope Bailey is still on the improve today for you and that the test results will be back soon.

JulesP has been very unlucky to run into a very uncaring breeder but most of the breeders I know are not like that. The dog concerned has liver shunts and she is only the third case I have ever heard of in Borders, so it is excedingly rare and not something that could have been prevented. In fact I came across the first case I had heard of when researching all the reported possible TNS cases when we started trying to get that DNA test developed. One breeder had a very ill puppy that she suspected had TNS in but it turned out to have a liver shunt not TNS.

Can see why TNS was suspected. Amber used to be a bit wobbly on her feet as a pup. She would run into things. Not enough for you to rush her to the vet though. During the bad seizure she had she was also walking very strangely.

The US liver people I spoke to said they are seeing an increase in liver shunts in border collies.

I have been extremely fortunate with my 2 BC's. Both of their breeders have been very helpful, caring people. Always answered my emails if I had any concerns with either one very quickly.

Giving me expert advice no matter what the problem may have been related to. Their health, behaviour or me just being a worry wart :laugh:. Even had offers of advice from Stella father's breeder

which I will be taking up her very generous invitation as well. Best to learn from the best.

It is sad JulesP you have not been so fortunate & struck an uncompassionate breeder. Especially when your dog was so ill.

Owey, hope Bailey is still on the improve today.

And also to add...you can buy a puppy from a registered breeder that has done all the testing etc etc. and that puppy is not immune from illness either. Okay, it's not likely to have the genetic problems that untested parents might pass on but that doesn't mean there isn't some nasties out there that can strike at anytime. You cannot guarantee that it wont, but you should be there as a responsible breeder for your puppy buyer, but does that mean you pick up the vet bills? Each situation is unique. Luck (or misfortune)does have a part to play in it too.

Sometimes all people need is a bit of tea and sympathy and knowing that you actually give a shit about a puppy you breed and how it's doing, sick or not. Some people react rather rudely to bad news as if you are about to sue them and go into complete denial. :(

I have been extremely fortunate with my 2 BC's. Both of their breeders have been very helpful, caring people. Always answered my emails if I had any concerns with either one very quickly.

Giving me expert advice no matter what the problem may have been related to. Their health, behaviour or me just being a worry wart :laugh:. Even had offers of advice from Stella father's breeder

which I will be taking up her very generous invitation as well. Best to learn from the best.

It is sad JulesP you have not been so fortunate & struck an uncompassionate breeder. Especially when your dog was so ill.

Owey, hope Bailey is still on the improve today.

BC I agree we have been very fortunate to have sourced out and purchased from compassionate and knowlegable people so yes a good cuppa chat on phone, good friends , vets, and JUST SOMEONE TO LEND AN EAR AND LISTEN really helps it can be a really lonely time when people like Jules have to deal with these issues as I sure at some time we have all been their at the start,. I learnt one good lesson from the breeder whom I puchased our dogs MAKE YOURSELF AVAILABLE its not always easy but with sites and good people like on here showing Jules compsassion and freely offering their wisdom little Bailey will shine , wishing Jules and Bailey all the best any updates?

Sorry to hear JulesP about your experience.

Unfortunately it is something I am hearing more about up here. Particularly those breeders churning out colour pups. Some are not doing all the health tests and once they get their $1200+ and the pup is off their property, all liability seems to go out the window.

One breeder recently wanted the owner to fork out more

Money to return a dog that was not healthy

There is no way to prevent the mutitude of rare problems that can crop up in any breed or in humans for that matter but the point we have been trying to get across in this thread is that if a DNA test is available that allows you to eliminate breeding puppies affected by a particular hereditary problem, it should be used by anyone producing puppies for any purpose, registered or not. There is simply no excuse for any Border to now be born with TNS, CL, or CEA as they are all so easy to control with readily available DNA testing. The testing of the parents makes the puppies more expensive but it is worth the extra cost for peace of mind and even if you don't understand all the DNA stuff, all you need to remember is that one parent must be clear/normal for each condition for the puppies to not be affected.

Before we had the CL test all puppies were sold with a disclaimer that the breeder could not guarantee that the puppy wouldn't die from CL between 18 months-2 years. Breeders were trying their best to breed around it, fundraising and research was ongoing and the condition was rare but every Border Collie was still at risk and there was nothing more that breeders could do until we, finally after 25 years, got the DNA test we needed.

Owey and Baileys's Mum, I hope Bailey is still on the improve today for you and that the test results will be back soon.

I totally agree. With the multitude of problems out there in both the animal and human world if we can shut the door on ANY given disease..more power to us..and then we can move on to researching into other insidious nasties.

I heard only the other day that we may be the last generation to die of Cancer. Many Doctors and researchers, fundraisers etc. have worked for a very, very long time to make this a possible eventuality. Lets hope. :)

Sorry for the delay in getting some photos of Bailey on here, but I'll try now. :confused:

Bailey continues to improve and even went on his first walk this morning since becoming sick a little more than a week ago. We just can't believe the roller-coaster ride we have been on since we picked him up 2 weeks ago today. Everybody is over the moon that he has recovered they way he has, and to consider just over 1 week ago, we were so close to having him pts. Having said that, we are still not getting ahead of ourselves until we get the DNA test results back from Prof Williamson at the Uni of Sydney.

Anyway, I'll try and work out how to put these photos on here. Wish me luck! :eek:

post-45827-0-06292100-1341121118_thumb.jpg post-45827-0-98045700-1341121573_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the delay in getting some photos of Bailey on here, but I'll try now. :confused:

Bailey continues to improve and even went on his first walk this morning since becoming sick a little more than a week ago. We just can't believe the roller-coaster ride we have been on since we picked him up 2 weeks ago today. Everybody is over the moon that he has recovered they way he has, and to consider just over 1 week ago, we were so close to having him pts. Having said that, we are still not getting ahead of ourselves until we get the DNA test results back from Prof Williamson at the Uni of Sydney.

Anyway, I'll try and work out how to put these photos on here. Wish me luck! :eek:

post-45827-0-06292100-1341121118_thumb.jpg post-45827-0-98045700-1341121573_thumb.jpg

Good news that he is feeling much better. Now fingers crossed for the test results.