Coughing

Dame Aussie

First of all I'll preface this by saying I am a complete hypochondriac when it comes to my dogs.

I'm wondering when coughing becomes something to be concerned about. We had some people over last night and Lili (4yr old Australian Shepherd) had a little coughing fit. It went for all of a few minutes and was just like a very mild kind of kennel cough sound with a gag at the end.

Friend told me it could be a sign of heart disease or heartworm which sent me into freak out mode. So I'm wondering when a little occasional cough becomes something to be worried about?

She occasionally does this, but I've always just figured she had an itchy throat or something but now I'm worried. Should I be rushing her down the vet?? She is perfectly healthy in all other ways, gets monthly heartworm treatment, is happy and interested and active.

Im going to take her to the vet anyway on Wednesday to make sure but just wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks guys! :)

First of all I'll preface this by saying I am a complete hypochondriac when it comes to my dogs.

I'm wondering when coughing becomes something to be concerned about. We had some people over last night and Lili (4yr old Australian Shepherd) had a little coughing fit. It went for all of a few minutes and was just like a very mild kind of kennel cough sound with a gag at the end.

Friend told me it could be a sign of heart disease or heartworm which sent me into freak out mode. So I'm wondering when a little occasional cough becomes something to be worried about?

She occasionally does this, but I've always just figured she had an itchy throat or something but now I'm worried. Should I be rushing her down the vet?? She is perfectly healthy in all other ways, gets monthly heartworm treatment, is happy and interested and active.

Im going to take her to the vet anyway on Wednesday to make sure but just wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks guys! :)

If it was a one off thing, like just last night for a minute or two, then I wouldn't worry about it.

However, if it becomes a regular sort of thing, say every few hours or at the same time each day then I would certainly get it checked just to ease my own mind...

Don't want to panic you further but the only sign my girl had of extensive lung cancer was an intermittant cough. A couple of odd coughs every few days. By the time she actually got sick, she only had a week.

Oh that is so sad..

Don't want to panic you further but the only sign my girl had of extensive lung cancer was an intermittant cough. A couple of odd coughs every few days. By the time she actually got sick, she only had a week.

So sorry to hear this dancinbcs :( Sounds like there was nothing you could have done.

That's what scared me as it seems sometimes these things can have little to no symptoms at all, very scary.

It's a hard call sometimes. Vets are not cheap and taking them every time you 'think' something is wrong can be expensive...

When Ollie was first dxd with mast cell tumours, I had a big hate session with myself for not pushing for a fine needle aspirate sooner on the first one that showed up... But it looked just like a harmless wart..

So sorry to hear this dancinbcs :( Sounds like there was nothing you could have done.

That's what scared me as it seems sometimes these things can have little to no symptoms at all, very scary.

Yes, they can be very stoic. She is the second dog that I have lost suddenly to cancer with seemingly no obvious symptoms until the last week. The other one was prostate cancer that had spread all through the pelvic bones. In both dogs they estimated the cancer had been there 6-12 months but they appeared happy, healthy, normal dogs. Now if anything seems "odd" I get it checked and ask for an ultrasound or x-ray as appropriate.

My other cancer dog that had a mast cell tumour, also had no symptoms other than a lump that looked like it was from a grass seed. Luckily we took that off straight away but the prognosis was still only a few months. I got him onto Chinese Medicine and he lived another 3 healthy years until he was an old dog.

My old girl who is almost 14 coughs

Sometimes everyday alot sometimes not all

She has been checked and has an old age grade 2 heart mumor

At this stage no medication

If she is coughing alot I give a teaspoon of manuka honey

Just so she doesn't irritate her throat

Managed to get an appointment today, vet thinks its just like a cat with a fur ball, not surprising as my Anatolian is dropping his coat at the moment and it's ridiculous. Heart sounds good, no fluid or anything and she thinks she'll be fine :)

Thanks for all the opinions/advice :)

Probably over the top but $60 isnt too much to put my mind at ease :laugh: