Japanese Akitia Inu

That Guy

hey guys hows it going,new to the forum :)

I looking at getting me a new dog and really have my heart set on a Japanese Akita Inu

but finding one is proving very dificult as the only breeders I can find are those of the American Standard

I was wondering if any one here can point me in the direction of a breeder here That breeds to the Japanese Standard,if they do exsist

I was looking at Importing one from over seas,but then you have to wait untill they are least 6 months old,Would getting one at that age effect the bond you build with the dog as you bring it up from a baby?

I have become obssed with getting one of these dogs lol,its all I think about lol

They are so beautiful and sound like amazing dogs,I was going to settle for a smaller Shiba Inu,but In the back of my head id be wishing it was an Akita.

also is there any Ainu/Hokkaido inu or Shikoku inu breeders in Australia? or do you pretty much have to look overseas for dogs like that?

thank you very much for any help or information

I think you will find that there are currently no Japanese Akita breeders in Australia. I know of one who has just imported a couple of Japanese Akitas with the view of breeding in the near future. You will find them on Facebook - Japanese Akita Inu Australia.

Pretty sure there aren't any Hokkaido or Shikoku breeders here either.

I have no experience in importing, but understand that it is a costly exercise and can be quite a difficult process. It's not as simple as it may sound. You also have to consider quarantine and so on. I don't think that the age of the dog will be a huge issue, however with the Akita and it's propensity to bond closely with its people, you will have to work hard on building that bond and trust from the outset.

What is it about the American that you don't like?

Akitas are AWESOME :)

Importing can be quite a complicated and costly process.

Japan is a Cat 2 country which means the pup must be at least 12 weeks when it leaves there, and spend 30 days in quarantine in Aus.

This is probably the shortest amount of time you'll have to wait, imports from most other countries will be closer to a year by the time they get to our shores.

People are able to bond with rescue dogs that come into their lives older, so I'm sure you'll make it work if this is the direction you do go in

You'd be looking at between 6 - 10 grand to import, depending on the cost of the dog. My advice would be to also do at least one trip to japan and meet the breeders, unless you have great contacts and trust them completely to select the right dog for you.

I have found one couple in Sydney and another in Perth that are going to start breeding them,waiting to hear back from them I'd suspect there would be a bit of a waiting list and proly a high price tag but I guess it would be worth the wait

Kuma Akita : no offence to any Akita owner I just don't think the American Akita looks that great,the black face and patchy coat,and the heads on them look alot different,makes me think the bloodlines have been crossed somewhere,and I would rather have an Akita the way the Japanese intended them to be..i heard the japanese view the american akita as an insult? Dunno if that's true tho?

Hahaha and I just prefer the red fawn or pure white fox lookin dog of the Japanese standard

Teprement wise tho they both sound like great dogs and can't wait to get one...

I was thinking of settling or a Shina inu,how are they compared to an Akita

Have you spent any time with dogs of this breed (or any other breed you are considering)?

I recommend that anyone who is considering taking on one of the purebreds I have rescued has actually spent time with a living dog, rather than just admiring and wanting from afar.

The dumpage rate of dogs is enormous in Australia and research indicates that for some reason, the dog has turned out not to be the right dog for the owners (and in some cases people shouldn't have a dog at all obviously) so the relationship hasn't worked, for the long term ie the natural span of the dog's life.

You are researching how to find one to bring into your home, but have you actually spent time with a living version?

I always like to check because the euthanasia of 150,000 dogs each year in this country indicates there's a big problem, somewhere along the line.

I have found one couple in Sydney and another in Perth that are going to start breeding them,waiting to hear back from them I'd suspect there would be a bit of a waiting list and proly a high price tag but I guess it would be worth the wait

Kuma Akita : no offence to any Akita owner I just don't think the American Akita looks that great,the black face and patchy coat,and the heads on them look alot different,makes me think the bloodlines have been crossed somewhere,and I would rather have an Akita the way the Japanese intended them to be..i heard the japanese view the american akita as an insult? Dunno if that's true tho?

Hahaha and I just prefer the red fawn or pure white fox lookin dog of the Japanese standard

Teprement wise tho they both sound like great dogs and can't wait to get one...

I was thinking of settling or a Shina inu,how are they compared to an Akita

I was also told that Shibas do tend to scream a bit - important if you've got neighbours close by. They're also not recommended as a dog for a first time owner (not sure whether you are or not, you haven't mentioned it). Lots of structure and training required - as for any spitz breed, but extra with the Shiba.

I have a JS and we have done a lot of work to keep her well behaved (most of the time) - unlike a lot of labradors and goldens in our neighbourhood who are happy to be left to their own devices and still be well behaved!

Grew up with a Labrador and had a boxer that passed away 2 years ago,so finally decided to get a new dog,I love the spitz looking dogs and was thinking of a Siberian Husky,but they seem like alot to handle,and apparently don't make very good watch dogs,everything I've read about the Akita make it sound like a wonderful and majestic dog but I really have my heart set on a red fawn Japanese standard one..I was considering settling for a Shibu inu cause they look similar but I really want something a bit bigger,the other dogs I really like Jindo,Shikoku and Ainu inu are also pretty much non existent in this country lol anyways I've sent an email to the couple who have a breeding pair of Akitas and just waiting to hear back...I'm getting impatient lol cause I want this dog now,but I assuming the waiting list would proly be a year or so considering they only have one breeding pair,but yeah rather wait and be happy,then settle for something else and be unhappy with it

Grew up with a Labrador and had a boxer that passed away 2 years ago,so finally decided to get a new dog,I love the spitz looking dogs and was thinking of a Siberian Husky,but they seem like alot to handle,and apparently don't make very good watch dogs,everything I've read about the Akita make it sound like a wonderful and majestic dog but I really have my heart set on a red fawn Japanese standard one..I was considering settling for a Shibu inu cause they look similar but I really want something a bit bigger,the other dogs I really like Jindo,Shikoku and Ainu inu are also pretty much non existent in this country lol anyways I've sent an email to the couple who have a breeding pair of Akitas and just waiting to hear back...I'm getting impatient lol cause I want this dog now,but I assuming the waiting list would proly be a year or so considering they only have one breeding pair,but yeah rather wait and be happy,then settle for something else and be unhappy with it

Sorry, don't mean to be rude but this isn't a huge amount of experience. I recommend you go to dog shows and see the dogs in the flesh, talk to breeders and people with lots of experience.

I know plenty about Sibes and it's a dog that definitely wouldn't suit me. It's good that you are reading up but there's a lot to be said for actually interacting with a breed you think you want for the next 12-15 yrs.

How strong are you? Akitas can be dog aggressive (so can shibas) and having a large powerful breed on the end of a lead can pull you over trying to get to another dog. Plus, some areas are thinking of putting Akitas on the restricted dog list in future. Consider that as well. I have two shiba btw, yes they scream!. I love the look of shikoku as well but there are none in the country, plus they are not very good as pets yet, not too domestic. Have you looked at agouti coloured sibes? (google is your friend)Could tick all your boxes. Gorgeous colouring!

^ And incredibly uncommon except in racing lines ;)

If you don't think you can handle a husky a racing sibe would not be the go.

Compared to a lab and a boxer you're in for a new experience with any spitz.

Although boxers can be headstrong, they seem to know what you want out of them.

You will have to be a good leader and set boundaries owning any spitz breeds.

They are lovely but very trying at times

In regards to the "cross bred" American Akita, due to the second world war all Akitas were cross bred to German Shepherds. They did this to try and prevent the breed from being wiped out due to the military taking dogs to make linings for uniforms as only German Shepherds were exempt. When the war was over and under American administration Akitas were bred with anything to sell to the Americans as people were incredibly poor and the Americans would pay quite a bit of money for one. They took these dogs back to the states then the American Kennel Club wouldn't allow Japanese imported dogs to be registered after a time and so now there is the American Akita. The Japanese Akita was refined back to the dog they had originally but the funny thing is they don't allow the pinto coat which has been in the Akita since before the war as there is texts that depict it.

--Lhok

• 2 months later...

I had 2 Japanese Shiba Inus (ex now has them :( ). I used to own German Shepherds and miniature poodles. Someone in here indicated that you need to see them and experience them but you don't really get to experience them until you have one. Seeing one will never prepare you for having them.

They are hard work and they have their own personality. But that's what I love about them. My older Shiba Inu wouldn't even sit down unless there's a reason to. They do scream but only when washing them (prepare for the ear plug). They don't bark unless something is definitely wrong. My younger Shiba Inu talks to me when I talk to him. Not a bark but still a bit funny. Whilst the older one will just look at me like I'm a bit cuckoo (sort of telling me why am I talking to him when I know well enough that he's not going to answer back lol) My 2 Shiba Inus are totally different from each other so you'll never know what you'll get I guess.

I think if you're not sure, get a Shiba Inu. I wanted an Akita too but I loved my Shibas. It grows on you. I think the Shibas provided me a training ground for Akitas in a small package ie you can control them with a lead as they are not too big whereas I think an Akita will have me hanging onto its back lol

I was told that Akita Inus are the same and I would love to own a Japanese one which is so hard to find. I like the Japanese standard too as they look so much like my Shiba Inus. Where is the breeder in Perth? I would love to see it and probably buy one in the near future.

An Akita is a LOT of dog, more challenging than a Sibe, and they are challenging enough. I agree with Dogmad that spending time with one before making the investment would be very important.

I also have a breed that has quite a small suitable owner base due to its characteristics and I have both Western bred dogs and a country of origin dog. Dogs that are not Western bred, but still being bred for country of origin purposes can be an order of magnitude more difficult again. Someone mentioned the issue of dogs not being bred as pets upthread - this is important, because they have not been bred with Western ideas about suitability for companionship in mind, they can be sharper and harder to handle.

If you like Spitzes maybe consider a Finnish Lapphund? Or a Japanese Spitz?