What Would Your Friends And Family Do With Your Dogs?

Alyosha

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have everything well in hand in the case of my death and my family is well aware of it. My doggy friend has a current list of pets and my wishes as to what happens to each pet but I have often wondered what my family would do until that friend arrived as she lives 8hrs away or if I was unable to care for them or express my wishes.

This thread brought it to mind so I actually rang my sister expecting she would know who to contact. Dismal fail. The card idea sounds a very good idea even if only to tell your family to look in your wallet so they know who to contact. I doubt hospitals would check your wallet? How do they find your next of kin?

If any tragedy took me and my husband, I really hope my dad, my neighbour across the road, the best rescuer I know, and if necessary OH's cousin would all be involved. It's just a hope so I should talk to them all. I want the Maggot pts with respect, and Stevie and Jodie to be cared for as individuals and have access to good couches and tennis balls. Dunno what to do with the cat, maybe gentle pts too by SASH so her orijen effects can be studied.

If it ever needs to happen, I've promised Stevie a last meal of a BBQ chook with bones and stuffing and a packet of mint slices.

In your phone, type ICE (in case of emergency) into your contacts. Emergency service workers know to look these up. For those that say their family knows what to do, have they actually agreed to it? A lot of people would think they're doing you a favour by rehoming the dogs if you were going to be in hospital fir a long time.

Im lucky to have a daughter who is dog obsessed and would take my two on - if she was unalbe for any reason I m very lucky that I have several freinds in the Leonberger world who would take them either for ever or until my daughter could.

But excellent thought provoking topic................

Any special arrangement you wish to be made for your pets need to be set out in writing and discussed with everyone that may be involved. You cannot rely on normally cool headed rational people acting the way you would expect when faced with the death or serious illness of a loved one.

All of mine will go to a dear friend, she knows what I would like, hubby would not be able to cope.

For the breeders make sure your will includes things like

prefix, frozen semen, pups out on terms etc.

Good points indeed Sway. Breeders are often in a more difficult position that your average pet owner due to numbers. Even if just a few, a few dogs is a much bigger ask for friends and family to deal with than one or two. Then there can be breeding issues, pups or pregnancy, and aged dogs with different needs. All the stuff that we deal with day to day and which alls apart if we're suddenly not there.

Megan, that is what I'm currently worried about. Family and friends thinking they know what is best, and maybe doing their own thing.

I suppose atthe end of the day it can be taken out of you hands in certain circumstances, but it's slightly comforting to know you have done all you can to make your wishes known.

Hmmm, if my mum was around when something happens to me, I know she'd sort out what needs to happen with my guys. I'd hope she'd keep my Bailey and Abby though as I'd hate for anything to happen to them.

My dogs would most likely meet me at the bridge. My oldest horse would most likely go back to my friend whom I got him from.

My birds I'd hope would either be rehomed within my immediate family or with my Galah's go to a wildlife park or sanctuary.

What would happen pebbles if you were out of action but not deceased? Would your next of kin know? If we're critcally ill wills don't get read, even if we can't communicate (coma etc).

And would they do it? Wndering at non doggy people here who may think it cruel to pts and may look to shelter or rescue.

My kids all know exactly what I want and anyway, who'd want Mick lol? There's only my immediate family (children) no siblings. Two of my sons are executors, there's a few extras not actually defined in the will and I trust my kids - they know I'd come back and haunt 'em otherwise lol.

If something was to happen to me my partner would keep them.

If something happened to both of us my family, who aren't dog people, known to contact a breeder friend who I trust totally to care for the dogs and do what she see's fit with them. This includes the dogs I've bred.

Myself and my OH have printed laminated cards in our wallets. On thes we have included what dogs we have, where they are and what to do with them in emergency situations... whom to contact etc.

Also is information regarding how to deal with the dogs in various scenarios of our illness/death etc.

We have noted breeders' names and contact details and vet details.

As soon as I thought to do this a few years ago, I felt so much better and so relieved. OH and I live a fairly secluded life, not many visitors and friends and pretty much no family that we have contact with or trust our dogs to. It was something we really had to do. From time to time I update our cards when new dogs are added or anything changes.

Years ago we included instructions in our Will regarding the dogs, but these were very specific and nearly all our dogs are different now, so it is pretty much redundant. I plan to alter our Wills soon, but in the mean time our cards should cover it.

Added, the majority of my instructions include euthanasia for the older adults and younger ones being returned to breeder in the case of our death and some types of injuries. Our families are not included in any of the dog's business in emergency so their feeling are irrelevant to us.

That is such a good idea dyzney thank you so much for sharing .Sadly by the time the Will is read it often too late for the person's wishes for animals to be carried out.I did a similar print out for a friend's husband with a brain injury in case he got lost with medication, diagnosis details etc .Never thought of such a great idea for my dogs. I have made it known what I want to happen to them and my cow as my solicitor told me to make sure friends knew or could be too late relying on the Will request.