Do You Have A Foster That You Regret Rehoming?

This is Pippa...

The longer time goes on, the more I regret letting her go.. I know she has a great home but I still wish I had adopted her myself...

7138050891_14957aaa67.jpg

Not the camera again by Jodie Moore Photos, on Flickr

Just a quick update:

Her adopted family have to move and they can't take her with them - so she is coming home to me:)

I am hoping she will just fit in right where she left off but she is a full grown dog now and maybe her personality has changed a bit.

I am just a little excited though

Edited by Staffyluv

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, in a couple of cases but at the time that I let them go, there were extenuating circumstances. In both cases (a few years apart), the circumstances changed a few months after each dog went but I have to console myself that I did what was best at the time and could not have foreseen the changes that came.

I cried for months after one of them went, he was truly my heart dog. 2 years after he was adopted, the owner became very ill and I went and fetched him. We had 18 months together before he passed away. I am glad for that second chance that we had and I know he was very happy here.

There have been some fosters over the years that I and my other dogs built a really close bond with, and if circumstances permitted, would have loved to keep forever.

Regrets? Not yet. I've been very fortunate to have been a party to selecting their new homes, and am content in the knowledge that someone else is loving them every bit as much as I can.

T.

Yes! One was a teeny little Malt X, quite unattractive little dog who was a real head case and who I just adored. She got a terrific home which was more suited to her (more attention and another small dog) but it left an awful feeling in my stomach and I still think about her. Another was a Rotti who I had just about made my mind up to keep when what I thought was a terrific home turned out to be a terrible home, last I saw him he was underweight and all over the place and they rehomed him, things got nasty and they wouldn't tell me where he went. I still think about him :(

Not regret as such because they all went to wonderful homes, but there are some I would have loved to keep. But then I think if I had kept them, I wouldn't have the foster failures I do now. :)

None that I have personally would have love to have kept (and like many have cried over for days) but know it would have been selfish to keep them given what wonderful homes they would have missed out on.

The ones I used to regret were the ones I have not been sure about and thinking I wasn't comfortable with the rehoming but couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong or justify stopping the adoption. They have come back shortly thereafter. Doesn't happen anymore though - I trust gut instinct and years of experience to tell me if I am really uncomfortable with the rehoming despite not being able to put my finger on why, it just doesn't go ahead now.

Luckily the only ones I really regret now are the homes that seem perfect at the outset and I hear about this animal in desperate need later on and sometimes not in the condition they were given in and they don't necessarily contact me to offer the animal back to me either - I only find out about it later on. Luckily these are very rare (at least that I know of) and you would hope so. As much as we tell people to contact us should one of our animals ever be in need again you cannot make people do the right thing once the animal has left your hands.

I miss coop, he was a big boofhead but I couldnt help but smile with him around, even if he was frustrating sometimes. He went to an awesome home, better than I could have dreamed.

Yes! One was a teeny little Malt X, quite unattractive little dog who was a real head case and who I just adored. She got a terrific home which was more suited to her (more attention and another small dog) but it left an awful feeling in my stomach and I still think about her. Another was a Rotti who I had just about made my mind up to keep when what I thought was a terrific home turned out to be a terrible home, last I saw him he was underweight and all over the place and they rehomed him, things got nasty and they wouldn't tell me where he went. I still think about him :(

oh that's so sad :( I hope he is in a great home now.

I get attached to all of them but Pippy was different - she fit in so well here once she settled..

I live with it knowing that she did go to a really good home and they adore her as much as I do..

It's good knowing she's in a great home. It also means you have ongoing capacity to keep on helping rescue.

I think perhaps being so lucky as to land on her paws in your home helped make her the awesome dog she is - you let her true colours shine. :)

Not really. Some are very hard to part with, but I find I am more upset before they leave, once they are gone I am ok. I have had a few that have gone to homes that just didn't quite feel right, for no really good reason, but as Andrea has said they usually come back. There are only one or two that I have worried about, that went to homes where I felt a little uncomfortable and I never heard anything from the adopters again - I still worry about those dogs :( But, again like Andrea, I now always listen to my gut instinct, and if things just don't feel quite right we wait for another home to come along.

A case in point is my current foster greyhound BB, I love this boy dearly, when he first came here I am positive he had never been in a house before and had never been shown any kind of affection (not abused, he was in good condition and not frightened of people, I think he had been fed and exercised etc, just never shown any love :( ). He has been here since January and it has been wonderful to see him blossom, we discovered he has a playful side, and he is now a Velcro dog - he always wants to be near you and LOVES pats and cuddles. He has had a few enquiries but nothing panned out, and I have been thinking lately how much I will miss him when he finds a home. If I didn't already have four dogs he would definitely be a foster failure.

But just today I have been talking to a lovely lady in Sydney, she seems so nice and this time it feels right :) They still have to meet BB yet, but my gut feeling is that these people are lovely, and while I will be sad to say goodbye, if he does go to this home I will be happy at the same time.

I am sure that all rescuers know that sad/happy feeling when a beloved foster finds a great new home.

I know it hasn't been long since he left us but I know Oscar will always have a special place in all our hearts. He went from a boy who looked like he'd given up on life to the most gorgeous smooshy boy and even after two months he was still changing and showing us new sides to himself. To keep him would've meant no more fostering and he has gone to a fantastic home but I know there will never be another quite like him.

Im glad Im not the only one that has done this.

Mine is Hollie, a beautful greyhound we fostered for nearly 3 months. She was such a grogeous girl that fitted into our home so well. I do miss her but i am sure she has settled in well with her new family.

Yes, little Layla was one in a million - I actually said at the time that if we weren't already over full we would have kept her. I think of her all the time and hope she is doing great! She was an absolute sweetheart.

I have 2 that I still think about and wish that I had adopted myself even though I know that both went on to fantastic homes.

Vegas was my second foster with Peiradise - Paradise for Shar Pei Rescue. We had him for 5.5 months and he went from being incredibly shy to such a little love bunny. He went on to a fabulous home where he had so many adventures but I still miss the goofball....

012-1.jpg

Dozer was my first foster with Great Dane Rescue and Rehiming QLD branch and was such a sweetheart. We only had him with us for 5 weeks before he went to his new home. I helped choose his home under the guidance of the late June Hayles (coordinator of GDRR QLD branch who has since passed). I recently contacted his adopted mum and he is doing fantastic and has finally filled out. Still miss him though....

032-3.jpg

Mine is Hollie, a beautful greyhound we fostered for nearly 3 months. She was such a grogeous girl that fitted into our home so well. I do miss her but i am sure she has settled in well with her new family.

Hollie sure was a special girl :heart: For me it was Gypsy,a beautiful blue brindle greyhound who went to live with a wonderful young couple down the South Coast who adore her.I cried a river of tears when she left...but if she did not go I would never have had the beautiful Miss Maddie come into my home and my heart.

The kelpie I have now is a foster that i have to finish paying the adoption fee on. I actually saw her int he pound and asked to foster her with no intention of ever letting her go. I bonded with her through the pound gate and that was it. I also fostered her pups and they were adopted very quick as they were ADORABLE! I call her my "Foster win"

It was really hard to let Gemma go, I cried buckets but I knew I had to. I wasn't the right home for her - she was an old blue cattle dog and my dogs were just too boisterous for her. And she went to the most loveliest of homes to an older lady in Brisbane who wrote to me and said "Gemma needed me and I needed Gemma". :)

I do have a foster failure here though, he just tugged on my heart :)

Hollie sure was a special girl :heart: For me it was Gypsy,a beautiful blue brindle greyhound who went to live with a wonderful young couple down the South Coast who adore her.I cried a river of tears when she left...but if she did not go I would never have had the beautiful Miss Maddie come into my home and my heart.

Gypsy was a gorgeous girl. Here is a photo i snapped of her while she was with me Stansmum.

post-33378-0-94039500-1341034466_thumb.jpg

Edited by skyesblue