Do You Have A Foster That You Regret Rehoming?

You girls do an amazing job with fostering.

I dont know how you do it, but thank you for doing it.

My girl is a rescue dog who was in foster first. She is the MOST AMAZING DOG, I love her to bits!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU from all us mums that get the diamonds at the end!

If Staffyluv doesn't mind going off topic, can you tell us your girl's story Jipsi. That is if it isn't somewhere else.

No I don't mind at all..

I love hearing the happy beginnings of rehomed fosters

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You foster carers all deserve Australia Day awards. :clap: You are amazing people, must be so hard to let a dog go to a new home, after you loved it so much.

Pip was the only one I had an issue with.. It is actually wonderful to se them thrive in their new homes.

I still get to see Coco, the Stafford a bit as she went to a friend. She was only here with me 10 days. I think she was here a week and I was having the kitchen redone and the joiner (family friend) walked in one morning, met her and fell in love. Watching him bring his wife and 3 kids around to meet her was awesome. I thought his wife was going to cry. She was sitting on the floor with Coco and asking why anyone would dump a dog in the pound.. Coco lives next to a huge reserve where she gets a good off lead run every afternoon with the kids and dad while mum makes dinner. She now has a little buddy in a small fluffy and even though they have their own beds, I frequently get pictures of them curled up together on one bed...

Gus, kelpie cross also has a great home. He is a fishing buddy for the dad of the family and even goes out on the boat with his little life jacket..

I run into his family a coup,e of months ago and he is doing really well. He also has kids to play with and apparently he likes to sun bake on the trampoline..

This is LOOOONG so sorry.... but this is my babies story!!!

My old girl retired last year in the March, I had a beautiful GSD who was also a rescue (can you see a pattern?!? Lol) but she was straight from the pound and had lots of issues. She lived to the ripe old age of 13. I got her when she was 5 months old.

I knew that I wanted to “save a life” but I didn’t want a tiny puppy (its like having a baby!!) but I was weary about adopting again from the pound given how many issues my GSD had.

I also had the added concern that I now had a 3 year old son, so the dog had to be good with children and I wasn’t certain that pound puppies are tested with that?!?

Anyways, I had been looking around at some of the rescue places in Adelaide and noticed that they did fostering (I didn’t know this was something that happened prior to my research starting!!!)

So I enquired about a few dogs, but mostly got the answer, not tested with children.

I then saw Holly at a fantastic rescue group who are based on the Yorke Peninsular, I rang the lady in charge and I was on the phone to her for nearly two hours. Just asking questions and making sure she was the right fit.

There was A LOT of interest in Holly as she seriously looks like the dog from a PAL commercial – she is very pretty, and I always get comments about her when we are at the beach, park etc.

I was hoping against hope that I would get the call that she would be ours. I got that call!!!! OMG I felt like I had won the lottery. No joke, I was so super excited. My son was excited. I just felt like she was the right dog for us.

We went to pick her up (a 2.5 hour drive) from her foster family (a lovely lady, who I still keep in touch with) and as soon as we walked in she radiated straight to my son and put her head on his lap and just looked up at him. Seriously I fell in love with her right then.

Her story (although not as sad as a lot of dogs – but could have been had not a rescue group stepped in) was that she was a “give away” on Gumtree. And because she is so pretty, the rescue group was fearful that she would become just another puppy breeding machine. They won’t tell me much about her past, just that it wasn’t very nice, and she was basically a dog that was left outside and nothing done with her. She didn’t even have a blanket. No shelter, no kennel NOTHING. You know that alone, makes me sad. I don’t think I could hear anything else.

She is now a VERY valued member of our family. When she can get away with it, she sleeps on my bed (she sneaks up in the middle of the night lol) she is included in everything (that she can be) and she and my son are the best friends. My son is an only child and he calls Holly his “sister”.

Holly still needed to be desexed before coming to us, and her foster mum kept me updated every day about how she was doing. I might have been a bit in your face, but she was now a part of my family too, and I wanted to make sure that she was ok. She sent me a lot of photos, and updated on the silly funny things she did. I felt like I knew her before I even got her. Does that make sense? I know that her FM didn’t have to do that for me, but I am grateful that she did.

I am so thankful to her foster family, without them they wouldn’t have known she was good with children (as the foster mum had a couple of kids and one my sons age) they wouldn’t have known that she LOVES other dogs (she had 2 of her own) and they wouldn’t have known that she doesn’t really like men (a hangover from her original “family” – although she is slowly getting better with that)!

I just think what you guys do is AMAZING. You take on dogs that you know nothing about. Bring them into your homes, your families, love them, care for them, let their TRUE personality shine, and let them be who they REALLY are. Then you send them off on their journeys, to hopefully a better life than they came from.

That is such a lovely story Jipsi. As you say, the foster system, when it works - which is mostly does, is brilliant. So much better for the dog and prospective adopters.

Ziggy and Staffyluv have had a great time fostering, so I for one have everything crossed the the re-introduction of Pippa to their home is as happy an experience as yours has been with Holly.

I had one dog in temp care here who I wish I could have kept, but she eventually ended up in a fantastic home. Echo was a sweet red cattle girl who bonded straight away with me. She was very timid and terrified of everything, but followed me everywhere. She went to a more permanent foster carer and promptly escaped. I became part of the search team as soon as I was told, but we couldn't find her. A couple of weeks later, she turned up and was at the RSPCA. She came home to me until another more permanent carer could be found, then was adopted. I still think about Echo all the time, but I know she is getting all the love and attention she can get, and at least she doesn't have to put up with my problem furchild.

I regret rehoming the only greyhound we have ever rescued.

She was (still is) the most beautiful blue with soft orange brindling and her name was Pheobe (now Ruby). She had the most wonderful temperament, great with cats, kids, little dogs and pretty much anything else she met. She also had very good recall.

As soon as she arrived we bonded and she stuck to me like glue, unfortunately at the time she was one dog too many and we rehomed her to a wonderful couple with a Weimaraner and two cats.

I have had updated pics sent and she looks very happy and well cared for but I still wish it was our couch she was curled up on.

I will post some taken before she left and some when she comes home.

I had a little chuckle at that, Staffyluv. She's coming "home" :thumbsup: .

When is this happening.

I haven't heard anymore.. Which is sad because I would have like to have helped one of the guys in DAS this week but didn't want to do so as I had promised to take back Pippy...