Best Sports For A Rottie?

Hi guys,

I have been considering it for a while and at the end of this year I will purchasing a rottie pup from one of the reg breeders on here (yet to be decided which). I have done obedience, am starting in agility, have done pulling and yard dog trials, but I'm after something a little different. i have 3 other dogs here that all do their own thing, agility for the kelpie and obedience for the maremma, sleeping for the JRT, but I'm after something a bit more exciting. I love pulling but in central NSW there's not much of that, Schutzhund is fantastic but again not much of that here. I'd love to do tracking or hiking as that's right up my alley. but what sports do Rotties excel at? I am willing to travel to do training and compete. Are there many rots in agility?

Hi MUP. Welcome to DOL :welcome:

I have also read your posts in the rotti thread and general, but decided to respond here as this question of yours is right up my alley.

I have been competing in Agility with my Rotts for around 13 years. My first bitch Ruby was the first ADM. JDM Rottweiler in Australia (as far as I am aware) and was always very competitive. She also competed in Vic Top Jumping Dog of The year in 2002 and finished 7th.

Sadly Ruby passed away at 7 years of age.

My next girl Dyzney is now 9 and she just gained her JDX pass. We had 6 years out of Agility and just got back in about 6 months ago. I realised when I stopped Dyz had 4 JDX passes, so decided to attempt to gain that final pass for title. Even at her age in those few trial she did this year she placed a couple of 2nds I think. I will drag up some links shortly to videos.

Keep in mind, prior to us having a break from Agility, the jumps were higher, there was weaving in Excellent Jumping and there were no rubber contacts and seasaw/tables were higher. Things are somewhat easier now, certainly safer.

My current Agility girl is Fame. She has just started and gained her JD title a couple of weeks ago winning the ring. She also gained her first Novice Agility pass that day winning the ring.

So, answer is yes Rottis make great Agility dogs. With the speed and accuracy of many of the BCs around now, Rottis are not as competitive in placing like they used to be, but they can still definitely achieve the titles and even place sometimes.

Personally for me I am not fussed on winning/placing. I chase the titles as this is my buzz and knowing how much enjoyment both my dogs and I get out of this great sport.

Agility aside, I also compete in Herding, ET, Obedience, Conformation, Tracking (not for ages and really must find time to get back into it). Rottweilers are so versatile. There is very little they cannot do.

I am unsure of how many rotts there are in NSW competing Agility. I believe at least 1, but possibly more. At the moment I have the only Rotti competing in Vic (that I am aware of) since Dyzney retired.

I do know of at least 4 others that have competed and titled to Masters in the last few years here in Vic.

All that said, I would certainly be sorting out the issues with your neighbours prior to getting another dog, let alone a Rotti. Can you imagine what grief they will give you over that :eek: I wish you all the best with that.

Regarding breeders, all I can say is do your homework. Be open and honest about what you want to do with your dog. You will not require a high drive dog to do Agility. All mine are born low/medium drive and I train in drive to develop the drive I want and need in different disciplines. Lower drive is easier to live with. That said it depends on how competitive you are on what your personal taste is.

A really solid, confident temperament is paramount, particularly in males. You don't want anything that is likely to be reactive and lack confidence.

Here are a few videos of Dyzney and Fame.

Edited by dyzney

Oh wow, thank for that Dyzney! yeah that's why i'm waiting until the end of the year to sort out the neighbours, but that being said we live ina very rural area and large blocks and I refuse to let neurotic morons dictate on the number of dogs I can have. They are harmless enough and we just had a discussion and will be building an 8ft wooden fence so they'll have no idea what we're up to, as dogs is what I want to do and I only have one life and won't let them ruin it with their made up crapola. But will get the fence up before i bring one in. The ranger is on our side though which makes life easier. Althugh I did hear inthe wind yesterday that they were considering moving (back to idiotville hopefully)

Loved the videos, yes I don't want a high drive one but I do want a male as I love male dogs. I am really excited that they love agility as I want to get into seriously and have set up a large agility area in the yard. I can't wait to get started now!!

Thanks so much and I may ask your advice later on, once my boy has arrived.

Great idea about the fence MUP.

Absolutely, feel most welcome to ask advice. I will only advise on what I feel confident in my knowledg and experience. I am far from what I would call a great agility handler as much has changed since I recently returned to the sport, so my knowledge as far as that goes is limited and I am still learning all the time. But I am quite savvy with my breed as I have been heavily involved in them for some time now.

Males are wonderful, but I have a soft spot for my bitches. We do have a boy Jag also, but OH does stuff with him, herding and obedience mostly.

Choice of pup is crucial. Conformation, health, athletic build, strength and fitness paramount. Try to look for a smaller line if you want to get a male. Not that larger males won't handle it, just less taxing on their body and faster. Above all don't do any jumping until your lad is at least 14-16 months old depending on his body type, and keep it minimum in height and quantity until 18 months. Stick to foundation until then. I have started foundation on my new pup Seven at 9 weeks of age. Truth be told when visiting the breeder every other day, I was doing shadowing with her from 5 weeks of age. She is awesome.

Edited by dyzney

Excellent, thanks for the advice, very similar in terms of growth and activity as the maremma. I'm very new to agility and don't really know anything so any advice is useful, this rescue kelpie will be the first dog i've done agility with. Until then it's been all sheep dog trials and obedience.