"no Dogs Allowed"

I used to be a cleaner, did it for 10 years...but no way would I be telling someone what to do on the school oval, in the hall or classroom yeah, but not the outside grassed areas....not my area.

A counterattack and dismissal of the individual with no authority over the jurisdiction would have suffice. The latter of your comment was unnecessary. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a cleaner, did it for 10 years...but no way would I be telling someone what to do on the school oval, in the hall or classroom yeah, but not the outside grassed areas....not my area.

A counterattack and dismissal of the individual with no authority over the jurisdiction would have suffice. The latter of your comment was unnecessary. 

Pfffffffft whateva!!

Used to be able to take my dog to the local surf club cafe - not any more.

Saw one dog owner - just let his dog roam around without him - outside the cafe area instead. It had the runs and crapped everywhere and he did not pick up any of it.

There's a huge part of the Glenelg foreshore precinct that used to be public land but is now a shops and cafe development - which is no dogs allowed, it's well sign posted and I go somewhere else for my coffee and icecream.

I can't get over the number of places that state "health laws" for excluding dogs. I think the only health law is - dogs must not be in the food prep area. They can be everywhere else.

The most unhealthy animal - to a human - is another human. Maybe we should exclude people from hotels and cafes.

Used to be able to take my dog to the local surf club cafe - not any more.

Saw one dog owner - just let his dog roam around without him - outside the cafe area instead. It had the runs and crapped everywhere and he did not pick up any of it.

There's a huge part of the Glenelg foreshore precinct that used to be public land but is now a shops and cafe development - which is no dogs allowed, it's well sign posted and I go somewhere else for my coffee and icecream.

I can't get over the number of places that state "health laws" for excluding dogs. I think the only health law is - dogs must not be in the food prep area. They can be everywhere else.

The most unhealthy animal - to a human - is another human. Maybe we should exclude people from hotels and cafes.

Unfortunately it's those people who have ruined it for everyone else, and necessitated laws like this.

Unless there is a Council sign stating that no dogs are allowed I would be asking him by what authority he is ordering the dog's removal.

Yes, that's the line I take in those situations then I ask to see a copy of the publication that may be referred to and unless they can justify the order with validity I ignor them.

Not sure where in Townsville you were but the Strand is a dog prohibited area, and any area designated as a bathing reserve is a dog prohibited area - refer to Townsville City Council Subordinate Local Law 2.

Unless there is a Council sign stating that no dogs are allowed I would be asking him by what authority he is ordering the dog's removal.

Yes, that's the line I take in those situations then I ask to see a copy of the publication that may be referred to and unless they can justify the order with validity I ignor them.

How arrogant. Do you take this line with the police too?

Not a 'public area' as such, but the 'we cant let you do that because of health regulations' argument comes up a lot. Take hotel rooms for example. Out of curiosity I recently asked the NSW Department of Health where the 'health regulations' were that hotels/motels often cite as their reason for not allowing dogs in the rooms. The answer I got was as follows: "There is no such health regulation. Hotels and motels should express their own policies, which they are entitled to do under fair trading laws, about the keeping of pets." I have no problem at all with establishments deciding that they personally do not want dogs on their premises. It is their right to do so (even if I wish it were otherwise). I just wish they wouldn't hide behind the false reason of 'health regulations' when these (in NSW at least as I haven't checked other states) do not actually exist.

Edited by espinay2

I can actually see the other side of things and why there is a need to restrict dog access. Unfortunately not all dogs are well behaved and if you add a bit of excitement to the risk like kids running around, then an easily exciteable dog could jump on a child, not even intending to attack, but if the child becomes frightened and the dog gets more excited then the child could be injured or psychologically harmed. Not good for the dog or the child as it wasn't either of their faults. The other thing I think we forget is that some people are allergic to animals and some people are just plain terrified of them.

We have to live comfortably together in our communities so I for one am prepared to travel to beaches and parks that are known to be dog friendly so I don't have to worry about any issues arising. I would however be livid if someone ostrasiced my dog from a dog friendly/accepting venue based on breed. Nope. Unless my dog has actually done something wrong and I have been given the chance of rectifying it then that is not on. Large dogs do not equal unreliable behaviour any more than all small dogs equal good behaviour.

I don't take my dogs where they are not allowed, but I've never understand the "no dogs on beaches rule" at all, if we have to pick up what our dogs might leave behind, and they are on leash, what would the issue be?

The allergy argument doesn't explain it, I've never seen a "No Peanut sign" at a beach. The "People are afraid of dogs" argument doesn't explain it either, people are scared of sharks, but go to a beach. Kids might get excited when they see dogs, but that happens everywhere, not just beaches.

I don't take my dogs where they are not allowed, but I've never understand the "no dogs on beaches rule" at all, if we have to pick up what our dogs might leave behind, and they are on leash, what would the issue be?

The allergy argument doesn't explain it, I've never seen a "No Peanut sign" at a beach. The "People are afraid of dogs" argument doesn't explain it either, people are scared of sharks, but go to a beach. Kids might get excited when they see dogs, but that happens everywhere, not just beaches.

Often there are nesting shore birds on beaches such as sand plovers, who nest in the dunes or other parts of the beach, camoflaged from people but easily sniffed out by dogs. Many times people let their dogs off leash on beaches to run around when they feel they aren't being watched or nobody else is there. Dogs kill nesting shorebird chicks, destroy eggs and nests and frighten the parents away from their nests for good. In NZ last week roaming dogs wiped out an entire colony of endangered fairy penguins. Dogs are not allowed on some beaches to protect wildlife or for other very good reasons.

Not sure where in Townsville you were but the Strand is a dog prohibited area, and any area designated as a bathing reserve is a dog prohibited area - refer to Townsville City Council Subordinate Local Law 2.

Well, never knew that. That's nuts, when the council have provides doggy drinking fountains and doggy bags then officially call The Strand a dog prohibited area?! I want to see this map they reference in the exclusions, but the map provides is such a grainy image I can barely make out which areas of the Strand are no goes!

Often there are nesting shore birds on beaches such as sand plovers, who nest in the dunes or other parts of the beach, camoflaged from people but easily sniffed out by dogs. Many times people let their dogs off leash on beaches to run around when they feel they aren't being watched or nobody else is there. Dogs kill nesting shorebird chicks, destroy eggs and nests and frighten the parents away from their nests for good. In NZ last week roaming dogs wiped out an entire colony of endangered fairy penguins. Dogs are not allowed on some beaches to protect wildlife or for other very good reasons.

I'm all for excluding dogs from bird and other animal nesting site beaches. But what about man made beaches that wild animals are never going to use due to heavy foot traffic? I see no point in making these beaches no dogs allowed.

Well, never knew that. That's nuts, when the council have provides doggy drinking fountains and doggy bags then officially call The Strand a dog prohibited area?! I want to see this map they reference in the exclusions, but the map provides is such a grainy image I can barely make out which areas of the Strand are no goes!

I had a look yesterday and as far as I could work out dogs could walk up and down The Strand but couldn't go on beaches.

Police have a bit more of an official obligation to know what they are talking about, you would be surprised how many weekend warrior type authoritarians merely work from what someone has told them and often they are wrong in their understanding of law and regulations.

I live behind my local primary school and for years I trained my dogs on the oval after school. I know dogs are not allowed on school grounds but it was never a problem and often the kids and carers from the after school care classes would come and watch and talk to me about the my dogs.

Then the school hired a new cleaner, he came down while I was training one day yelling and screaming, "no dogs allowed" I said I had trained their for years without any problems but he wouldn't have a bar of it, so I left but not until I had finished my daily training.

I wouldn't let a mere cleaner boss you around. He's most likely the type that has a dog in his back yard who he hardly ever sees and never walks

They did have signs up saying no dogs, no golf etc but it was never a problem before. Now all the gates to the oval are locked after 4:00. It's not worth an argument so I just train somewhere else now, pity cause the school is so handy and has heaps of smells for distraction.

I had a look yesterday and as far as I could work out dogs could walk up and down The Strand but couldn't go on beaches.

That I knew about - it's signed clearly they aren't allowed on the beaches and also the area by the rockpool. That's why being thrown off the grass by the waterpark surprised me - no signs that I could see, but I will be double checking if there are any next visit.

I live behind my local primary school and for years I trained my dogs on the oval after school. I know dogs are not allowed on school grounds but it was never a problem and often the kids and carers from the after school care classes would come and watch and talk to me about the my dogs.

Then the school hired a new cleaner, he came down while I was training one day yelling and screaming, "no dogs allowed" I said I had trained their for years without any problems but he wouldn't have a bar of it, so I left but not until I had finished my daily training.

I wouldn't let a mere cleaner boss you around. He's most likely the type that has a dog in his back yard who he hardly ever sees and never walks

They did have signs up saying no dogs, no golf etc but it was never a problem before. Now all the gates to the oval are locked after 4:00. It's not worth an argument so I just train somewhere else now, pity cause the school is so handy and has heaps of smells for distraction.

Don't know about other states but dogs have never allowed on school grounds in NSW or anywhere near children's playground equipment in parks.

Bit of a difference between being given a lawful direction by a police officer and being bossed around by some low level council employee. I'd be ignoring him too. :)

I'm all for excluding dogs from bird and other animal nesting site beaches. But what about man made beaches that wild animals are never going to use due to heavy foot traffic? I see no point in making these beaches no dogs allowed.

I agree and people leave way more mess lying around than dogs do there are always plastic bags glass bottles and other nasty things that won't break down, I'm not for people leaving dog doo but hey it will break down and I have seen kids take dump on the beach and the parents haven't removed it. But they don't then ban kids.