Do You Worm Yourselves?

I know it's an odd question but I recently wormed myself for the first time since a child, as I was bringing in a few foster dogs who more than likely had parasites. I just wondered if this was regular procedure for all you doggy people out there?

Edited by mixeduppup

It's not that we can't get worms from dogs, ít's just that those types of worm infections are uncommon in people - hookworm, tapeworm etc are generally only common in developing countries and often related to poor sanitation.

Also, the single dose treatments available over the counter (mebendazole) treat threadworm - which dogs and cats don't get, so you can't get those from pets, only from other people. So if you are using a standard over the counter single dose treatment, you are only doing people worms anyway.

The less common worm infections are best treated after a positive stool sample with prescription medication from your doctor.

AFAIK The best way to prevent worm infection in people is just to regularly worm your dogs/cats and avoid treading in dog/cat poo with bare feet.

Edited by bonny_beagle

I worm us as we have small kids and they are so hand to mouth with everything. I'm about to worm us as we have just adapted a cat and they couldn't tell me if previous fosters had wormed him. So pets have been done and once my son gets over his tummy bug that arrived tonight I will get us all a dose. Last time I did it was probably 18 months ago. People can get worms from pets but mainly kids would be the ones most often infected.

A good sign that kids have worms is when you see them picking their nose and also if they are grizzling more than normal (dunno what the 'normal' grizzling is though :D )

Worm them and and all-of-a-sudden you have your kids back.

A good sign that kids have worms is when you see them picking their nose and also if they are grizzling more than normal (dunno what the 'normal' grizzling is though :D )

Worm them and and all-of-a-sudden you have your kids back.

No idea why people think this. Almost every toddler I have seen lately has its finger up its nose like they are digging their brains out. My beaming smile & wave at the last one was greeted back with finger up nose & offering of results of dig :eek:

Don't parents tell them their face will cave in & their brains fall out or similar :laugh:

A sign kids have worms is they scratch their buts and complain of being itchy lol lol .. picking your nose doesn't give you worms not washing hands after toileting and having fingers in your mouth does :-) ..

Christina isn't that true LMAO!!! I tell my kids that lol lol

Hi Forumites. this is to answer your questions, (yes it is my job to discuss parasites Animal health). LOL Lovely subject but interesting none the less...................

This month (july 2012) the focus is actually on worms and we have a focus on zoonosis ie. humans getting worms from pets.

The following is a breif outline.

Roundworms:Owners need to be especially vigilant to protect their pet as this parasite can infect humans, a condition called zoonosis, migrating around the human body causing organ damage and often lodging in the eye causing blindness.

Tapeworms:Tapeworms can be passed to humans by directly ingesting eggs. This can happen via hands touching pet fur or other items in the home that a pet may have rubbed against. Certain tapeworm species can cause severe illness throught the development of cysts in humans.

Hydatid Tapeworms and Tapeworms (zipper):Hydatid tapeworms are usually found in more rural areas where dogs are fed raw offal or come into contact with infected wild animals.

Importantly, humans can become infected with this tapeworm species. The eggs exist on dogs’ coats, anywhere a dog has brushed past, in soil and on plants (fruit and vegetables), so if a human touches and then puts their hand in their mouth, they can then pass the tapeworm egg into their body.

Hookworm:Pets can pass hookworm eggs or larvae on to humans. The usual route is by swallowing and the result is stomach upsets. If hookworm larvae come into contact or burrow into human skin, people can develop dermatitis and infected wounds.

If you would like further information Please Ask.

All humans (and all family members) should be treated at least once every 3 years and because most HUMAN worming treatments (IE combantrin) only treat ADULT WORMS to ensure all larval stages are eradicated it is advisable to worm a second time 4 weeks after dosing the first time to eradicate any hatchlings.

Zoonosis is a serious health risk and should not be taken lightly.

If you would like to see the gory pictures of the results of worm afflictions in children and adults send me a pm. Happy to send them to you.

I hope this helps,

I know it's an odd question but I recently wormed myself for the first time since a child, as I was bringing in a few foster dogs who more than likely had parasites. I just wondered if this was regular procedure for all you doggy people out there?

So weird, I recently just wormed the family (the first time since I was a child too) After google it all the most common worm in humans is actually pin/thread worms which pets DO NOT give us. Pin worms are very easily picked up (mainly by kids due to the whole hand/mouth thing they do so well) from anywhere (toilet seat, taps, linen...anywhere someone that has them has touched)!! The eggs can actually be air-born so when you do worm the family they suggest washing bedding in HOT warm but be gentle taking linen off the bed so not to spread eggs into the air and all over the room!! I'd never really thought about it until now I have the kids so must remember to do it a bit more often...than never...lol :laugh:

I worm my family regularly, but not for fear of getting worms from the dog. I worm them from getting thread worm. I do all the washing, cleaning, and medicating, as well as repeat doses, washing soft toys, shoes.... just about EVERYTHING,,, and then the kids go to school and pick it up all over again. Ongoing problem, even if they do wash hands always etc. It is on the carpet at school, in books, on pencils that go into mouths, possibly friends houses, public toilets, escalators, just about anywhere someone who has thread worm who doesn't wash their hands touches.

My dog is wormed each and every month and I hope that catches any nasties.

Never heard of thread worm from nose picking... only bum picking. Oh, and for those interesting in my thread worm rant, once treated, you must shower the morning after because the female lays its eggs at night time and causes itchiness which can irritate. It needs to be washed away down the shower drain, not a bath of floating eggs for kids to re-ingest.