Greyhound Icecream Fiend

j

Cute story. Make sure you go into the link and have a look at the photo gallery too.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/dishlickers-lap-it-up-at-golden-arches-20120701-21bc2.html

Dishlickers can be discerning – until a crunchy 30c cone dripping with ice cream is waved under their nose.

Greyhound trainer Wayne White's four-year-old flyer Mariah wolfs down such a treat after every race.

"She loves it," says Mr White, who pulls over at McDonalds after the races, whether his nimble hound wins or loses. "She knows what the arches are all about."

Slurping ice cream is no fuel for champions, though. Mr White breeds and races dogs on a diet of biscuits, meat, vitamins, yoghurt, milk and Weet-Bix sometimes smeared with Marmite, vegies, including celery and carrot, and grated apple.

For more than 40 years the full-time Goulburn train driver has bred and trained greyhounds, starting a hobby with his mother Ruby and brother John.

John had picked up the sport while working as an apprentice in Canberra. Success came early when their pup, Our Sultan, bolted home in his maiden race.

"That's what gets you hooked, when you breed them as young ones and rear them and break them in and they win. It's quite a thrill actually," said Mr White.

Waving a furry toy on the end of a fishing pole soon tells a trainer if an eight-week-old pup's going to be bounding contender. And there's been a good few, too, from the White kennels: Burning Bullet, which won 20 races, Big Charlie Boy, which won 16, Ruby's Idol, Ruby's Image and Stormy Opera.

One of a litter he bred and shared with a mate Terry Hallam, Stormy Opera, won a group 3 ladies bracelet event at Wentworth Park in Sydney.

Walking his sleek, lanky dogs up to three times daily in the early morning fog and fading afternoon light is a way of life. Mr White confesses he has a soft spot for the well-muscled speedsters. "That's my whole trouble. I let my heart rule my brain sometimes, because they become good friends, too."

He'll have an occasional bet but is more driven by seeing one of his dogs win or run a place. Prizemoney ranges from $600 to $2000.

Even though a hobby, Mr White said racing the dogs was time-consuming. He takes them to a slipping track every second day so they can run full-pelt over 350 metres. They're walked afterwards to rid them of lactic acid.

He races them at Dapto, Nowra, Canberra and Goulburn.

Mr White reckons anybody who gets involved falls in love with greyhounds – even the non-performers.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/dishlickers-lap-it-up-at-golden-arches-20120701-21bc2.html#ixzz1zQCbxlm9

do racing greys always have that many ribs showing? (pic 8)

:(

great pics otherwise... wonder if they are lucky enough to retire with him too.

they sure do.

they are all muscle and its amazing how little they really eat for their size.

its not the ribs u look at its the muscling along the back, rump and legs built like big arnie arent they.

ultimate lounge lizards though. love greys

do racing greys always have that many ribs showing? (pic 8)

:(

great pics otherwise... wonder if they are lucky enough to retire with him too.

There are a lot of ribs showing but then mine have looked like that in the past too - especially with this colder weather, they drop weight so easily. I personally prefer my greys on the ribbier side than on the chubby side.

Mine LOVE an ice-cream too. Seems to be a favourite treat amongst a lot of breeds, not just greys :)

I have one who devours the whole thing in a couple of bites and another who ever so delicately licks it and takes forever!

edit - asal you are right on looking again lots of muscle definition rather than ribs in that shot

Edited by CBL

The print paper has two very cute photos on teh front page, one of a lovely girl in her cute pink jammies being hand fed an ice cream, the other is a close up of a black dog gobbling up a big chunk of ice cream, his eyes as big as dinner plates :laugh: