Basic Pattern For Fleece Dog Coats

I have a heap of polar fleece lying around and had the idea to whip up some basic dog coats to donate for rescue dogs. Does anyone have a link to a simple sewing pattern. I can do basic sewing, and was hoping to whip up a whole heap and hopefully go deliver them on the weekend. I've been googling but haven't had much luck.

Do you have any coats yourself that you could trace around? You can pin each 'shape' to greaseproof type paper, get the basic shape and then add seam allowances. If you are not used to making patterns then using online ideas it could be hard to get neck, armhole and back shapes right.

Where do you live though as I do have a number of dog coat patterns that have been loaned to me that you could borrow if you are in the Brisbane area?

Do you have any coats yourself that you could trace around? You can pin each 'shape' to greaseproof type paper, get the basic shape and then add seam allowances. If you are not used to making patterns then using online ideas it could be hard to get neck, armhole and back shapes right.

Where do you live though as I do have a number of dog coat patterns that have been loaned to me that you could borrow if you are in the Brisbane area?

I'm in Melbourne and I wanted to make them for Coldstream Animal Aid, they are in desperate need at the moment due to flooding. But thats a good idea about using a coat I have here. :thumbsup: I have a smallish one for my dog, so I'll use that as a starting point. I'll get started tonight and see what I come up with. I've been knitting jumpers for rescue dogs too, but that takes a while. These I should be able to whip up fairly quickly.

I am using a pattern I made up for large staffy sized dogs off a Doggone Gorgeous fleecie. Remember to make your ribbing 3/4 of the length you are stitching it to get a nice stretch. I saved time by not sewing rib to the part that goes under the belly and over the back. I just did it on armholes and necks.

If you are looking at buying a couple of patterns to make coats for rescue my advice is Kwik Sew 3260 (coat A is very quick to sew), Kwik Sew 3357 (coat A) doesn't even need to be sewn but the ties are long so could get tangled in the industrial washing machines and Kwick Sew 3076 (coat D) is 4 legged jammies. I tried to make a pattern for these myself (I have pattern making experience for humans!) put I struggled to get the length and angle of the back legs right so was very excited to be loaned this pattern! All these patterns are from XS to XL, which is great. Remember you do not need to overlock or zigzag fleece fabric - it gets fluffy but does not fray. I just hem those areas that I don't attach ribbing to with my overlocker.

If you were looking to buy a pattern you could look up these numbers online first and see what you like best.

I am using a pattern I made up for large staffy sized dogs off a Doggone Gorgeous fleecie. Remember to make your ribbing 3/4 of the length you are stitching it to get a nice stretch. I saved time by not sewing rib to the part that goes under the belly and over the back. I just did it on armholes and necks.

If you are looking at buying a couple of patterns to make coats for rescue my advice is Kwik Sew 3260 (coat A is very quick to sew), Kwik Sew 3357 (coat A) doesn't even need to be sewn but the ties are long so could get tangled in the industrial washing machines and Kwick Sew 3076 (coat D) is 4 legged jammies. I tried to make a pattern for these myself (I have pattern making experience for humans!) put I struggled to get the length and angle of the back legs right so was very excited to be loaned this pattern! All these patterns are from XS to XL, which is great. Remember you do not need to overlock or zigzag fleece fabric - it gets fluffy but does not fray. I just hem those areas that I don't attach ribbing to with my overlocker.

If you were looking to buy a pattern you could look up these numbers online first and see what you like best.

Thanks, I had a go at making some coats today. I managed to whip up 6 coats in a couple of hours. I found a Martha Stewart pattern for making dog jumpers out of old fleecy jumpers and I did a few of those. Plus I made a couple of coats out of the fleece. I'll be doing more tomorrow and Saturday. Then Sunday morning we'll be dropping them in at the shelter. I've also got some tug toys I made out of leftover fleece. Another friend is bringing some blankets and food over to donate, so the car will be full. :thumbsup:

Michelleva,

Wondering if you could give me the details of the Martha Stewart pattern you used, please ??? :) ...

No probs.. this is the one that re-uses an old jumper. I found it dead easy and only took about 15 mins to sew each one. I'd definitely do these again for other rescue doggies.

http://resweater.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/tutorial-tuesday-easy-dog-sweater.html

This is the Martha Stewart one, but using new materials.

http://www.marthastewart.com/265801/suede-doggie-coat

• 2 weeks later...