Confused About Puppy

RoseRed

Ok, so as some of you may know, my cavalier had a litter of seven pups.

We lost one pup at 9 days old.

The remaining pups are currently 3 weeks and 2 days old.

One of the pups is quite a bit smaller than the others, and I have been bottlefeeding her for the last week, as it seems that she was having a hard time getting a feed off mum, being pushed out of the road by her bigger brothers and sisters.

She seems to feed really well from the bottle, and I was thinking she seemed to be doing ok. But now it seems she shows absolutely NO interest in feeding off her mum. Could that just be because she has gotten used to the bottle, and figures that she isn't going to try and fight to feed off mum because she will get the milk from the bottle?

But what I'm more worried about is that today she seems to be separating herself from the rest of the litter. The puppies always sleep together in a bunch, and she has always done the same. In fact, she used to love being right in the middle of them all, which I assumed was because she was smaller, she was using their warmth. So every time she has finished her feed, and been toileted, we put her back in between her littermates. But today, whenever we check on them, she has wandered off on her own. The other five will all be sleeping together, but she will be sleeping off by herself.

I believe it is the puppy doing this herself. I don't think her mum is moving her away.

Any thoughts?

Ok, so as some of you may know, my cavalier had a litter of seven pups.

We lost one pup at 9 days old.

The remaining pups are currently 3 weeks and 2 days old.

One of the pups is quite a bit smaller than the others, and I have been bottlefeeding her for the last week, as it seems that she was having a hard time getting a feed off mum, being pushed out of the road by her bigger brothers and sisters.

She seems to feed really well from the bottle, and I was thinking she seemed to be doing ok. But now it seems she shows absolutely NO interest in feeding off her mum. Could that just be because she has gotten used to the bottle, and figures that she isn't going to try and fight to feed off mum because she will get the milk from the bottle?

But what I'm more worried about is that today she seems to be separating herself from the rest of the litter. The puppies always sleep together in a bunch, and she has always done the same. In fact, she used to love being right in the middle of them all, which I assumed was because she was smaller, she was using their warmth. So every time she has finished her feed, and been toileted, we put her back in between her littermates. But today, whenever we check on them, she has wandered off on her own. The other five will all be sleeping together, but she will be sleeping off by herself.

I believe it is the puppy doing this herself. I don't think her mum is moving her away.

Any thoughts?

Take her into the vet as she may have aspirated some milk. A pup that is separating herself from the litter and showing no interest in feeding would concern me.

Unfortunately the vet was called away today (family emergency), but I took her in so that the lady in the vet's office could at least have a quick look, take her temperature etc.

Her mouth looks fine, and she doesn't have a temp. But her eyes are kind of mucky. Will take her back to the vet first thing in the morning.

Should I sepearate her from the rest of the litter? Maybe put her in a box on her own with a hot water bottle?

Unfortunately the vet was called away today (family emergency), but I took her in so that the lady in the vet's office could at least have a quick look, take her temperature etc.

Her mouth looks fine, and she doesn't have a temp. But her eyes are kind of mucky. Will take her back to the vet first thing in the morning.

Should I sepearate her from the rest of the litter? Maybe put her in a box on her own with a hot water bottle?

Tentapride could be correct, she may have got some milk in her lungs. Best get a vet to check her as soon as available, just to be sure. I doubt it's anything contagious, but if you feel she will be warmer with a hot water bottle it might be best, rather than apart from the comfort of the litter.

Been back to the vet this morning. Looks like she may have a bit of a chest infection. Vet really isn't sure if she will make it :(

Gave her an injection of antibiotics and saline under the skin. Got to keep her warm, try and keep her hydrated (both orally and with more saline injections), and see how she goes. I'm keeping her in with her litter mates, vet agreed that is probably best. Will only move her if it looks like she is gonna keep separating herself. If she stays with the other pups, they will keep her warm and comforted, but if not will put her with a hot water bottle. Fingers crossed

Been back to the vet this morning. Looks like she may have a bit of a chest infection. Vet really isn't sure if she will make it :(

Gave her an injection of antibiotics and saline under the skin. Got to keep her warm, try and keep her hydrated (both orally and with more saline injections), and see how she goes. I'm keeping her in with her litter mates, vet agreed that is probably best. Will only move her if it looks like she is gonna keep separating herself. If she stays with the other pups, they will keep her warm and comforted, but if not will put her with a hot water bottle. Fingers crossed

Good luck with her - any negative turn get her back to the vet.

Yup any turn get her back then ASAP. Keep up with the saline, I had a week old pup aspirate milk and we saved him, so it is possible. Did your vet show you the 'pinch tedt' for dehydration? Keep up with the antibiotics too. Given your not far off 4 weeks is the pup willing to feed from a saucer? If you can avoid bottle feeding you'll reduce the risk of more fluid on the lungs.

Good luck!

Yup any turn get her back then ASAP. Keep up with the saline, I had a week old pup aspirate milk and we saved him, so it is possible. Did your vet show you the 'pinch tedt' for dehydration? Keep up with the antibiotics too. Given your not far off 4 weeks is the pup willing to feed from a saucer? If you can avoid bottle feeding you'll reduce the risk of more fluid on the lungs.

Good luck!

I'd be inclined to give her private feeding time with mum rather than any formula. Good luck.

Thanks everybody.

I tried that Liz, but she has no interest in suckling on her mum. So it's the bottle or nothing. But I might try and see if she'll lap from a saucer as Saffioraire suggested

Thanks everybody.

I tried that Liz, but she has no interest in suckling on her mum. So it's the bottle or nothing. But I might try and see if she'll lap from a saucer as Saffioraire suggested

I see, yes she may lap milk. Poor bub. Hope she comes good. :(

Lapping is not so easy for them but she'd be probably be able to manage some mince and soaked and mushed puppy food.

I find they tend to 'suck up' the milk on a soaked kibble.

How is she doing RoseRed?

Iam in a similar situation as you atm. Litter of 8 one little boy never seem to be able to latch on and stay on mum, thank goodness a friend took and tube feed him as I was trying with a bottle and a eye dropper and he would have died if she hadn't helped me. This little boy wasn't the runt born and all the others are double his weight but he is a fighter and is now at 4 weeks old over 600gms.

Anyway to cut a long story I can now tube feed puppies and I have also been feeding him solids since he was under 3 weeks.

This is the mixture Iam using 40mls goats milk, 40ml water and 2 scoops of Divetalac than shake it. Iam doing 4-5 hrs feeds and then I mix advance rehydatable biscuits soaked and beef mince make it into a mushy mess and warm it and hand feed it I usually mix it in with some of the milk mixture.

A full tummy and warmth can make all the difference. I hope she makes it for you :crossfingers: .

Darling little girl passed away a couple of hours ago :(

Poor sweet baby....run free with your sister and play puppy games forever. :rainbowbridge:

Sorry for your loss RoseRed...it's hard being a breeder isn't it. :(