Disgusted At My Local Council

:mad I was horrified and disgusted when I read my local paper this morning :eek:

The local ranger had shot 11 dogs at the local Tip, during operating hours!! how is this ethical or moral :mad

http://www.gloucesteradvocate.com.au/news/local/news/general/dog-deaths-investigated/2612641.aspx

THE RSPCA has confirmed it has launched an investigation into the euthanising of dogs by council staff at the Gloucester landfill last week.

Council confirmed that on Wednesday and Thursday last week several dogs were taken to the tip where they were shot and then disposed of on the tip face.

The Advocate was made aware of the incident after a resident complained to the paper.

Stratford resident Keith Whittall said he was at the tip between 12.20pm and 2pm last Wednesday when the council ranger arrived at the facility with the dogs on the back of his vehicle.

“He said he was taking the dogs down the back to shoot them,” he said.

“He went down behind the rubbish pile and I heard the shots go off from where I was standing at the shed.

“Then he threw the carcasses into the general waste.”

Mr Whittall said it was a “cruel and inhumane” way to dispose of the animals and said he was particularly upset that the incident had occurred during regular tip operating hours.

“I never want to see something like that happen again,” he said.

“It made me feel physically sick. After I left the tip I went and got my daughter and took some pictures.

“There were 11 dogs in total, five of them were pups.”

Poor dogs.....10 dogs seeing exactly what their fate was going to be, this was such an inhumane act, and I am willing to bet it is not the first time, just the first time someone has reported it :mad

Edited by Huntia

Dear Huntia,

I too read this article in the local paper today with horror (Prime7 also aired the story on the 6 PM news, 4/7/12).

The 6 PM news went into detail about this disgusting act of animal cruelty carried out by Gloucester Council at the Gloucester landfill. They showed the photos which were so distressing.

Dogs, like all living beings, feel fear and pain, and shooting them in the way Gloucester Council did is horrific and savage.

No matter what the so-called "background circumstances", this kind of sickening cruelty is unacceptable.

How can the Council get away with it?

Surely it's illegal for local councils in Australia to shoot surrendered dogs (in front of each other). Don't they have to use a vet?

Dear Huntia,

I too read this article in the local paper today with horror (Prime7 also aired the story on the 6 PM news, 4/7/12).

The 6 PM news went into detail about this disgusting act of animal cruelty carried out by Gloucester Council at the Gloucester landfill. They showed the photos which were so distressing.

Dogs, like all living beings, feel fear and pain, and shooting them in the way Gloucester Council did is horrific and savage.

No matter what the so-called "background circumstances", this kind of sickening cruelty is unacceptable.

How can the Council get away with it?

Surely it's illegal for local councils in Australia to shoot surrendered dogs (in front of each other). Don't they have to use a vet?

I don't get local news (on the VAST sattelite service) so I didn't see the coverage....and I think i might be glad if they showed the actual photos :( . those poor puppies. :cry: .

If it is not illegal than it should be :mad .

I bet it is not the first time that it has happened though.

It would be nice if they actually set up a prperley run pound and tried to rehome these animals.

Do you think they would work with rescue rather then putting these dogs down in future?

It would be nice if they could. After reading the article I emailed them suggesting that they should be looking at setting up a no/minimal kill shelter with an aim to rehoming suitable pets. As yet I haven't heard back from them :mad