Importing E-collars

Just wondering what the advantages are of buying ecollars in aus over getting them o/s?

When they are so much cheaper in the USA, would the only difference be a charging adaptor and warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Are you allowed to import e-collars to Australia? Because I know you can't import prong collars.

You can import prongs, it's just restricted (i.e. you need to have a permit).

There isn't an import restriction on e-collars but the warranty won't extend to Australia and there is no C Tick compliance which makes them illegal to use or even own anywhere in Australia. Besides that, the shipping costs usually make importing small numbers of collars quite expensive.

Are you allowed to import e-collars to Australia? Because I know you can't import prong collars.

There isn't an import restriction on e-collars but the warranty won't extend to Australia and there is no C Tick compliance which makes them illegal to use or even own anywhere in Australia. Besides that, the shipping costs usually make importing small numbers of collars quite expensive.

How can they be illegal to own when not import restricted.......anyway who is policing Ecollar ownership and use to pay 3 times the price from a local supplier??.

Thanks Huski!

Please excuse my ignorance, but if you can get the same model here and overseas wouldn't they both be exactly the same (in regards to the c-tick compliance)

Thank you!

M-sass I don't believe they are illegal to own(unless, as Huski said, they are imported). From memory the use is restricted but not illegal (may depend on each state tho).

Thanks Huski!

Please excuse my ignorance, but if you can get the same model here and overseas wouldn't they both be exactly the same (in regards to the c-tick compliance)

Thank you!

Hey Jessca

C tick compliance is not something that is obtained in the US, it's an Australian standard. There are many things you can import but would need to obtain certain compliance for such as motor vehicles etc - you can bring them in but not use them. Hope that helps clarify :)

Thanks Huski!

Thank you!

Hey Jessca

C tick compliance is not something that is obtained in the US, it's an Australian standard. There are many things you can import but would need to obtain certain compliance for such as motor vehicles etc - you can bring them in but not use them. Hope that helps clarify :)

Where does the department of communications do dog patrols to see if they are wearing non C tick approved Ecollars :laugh: The C tick requirement more applies to commercial Ecollar resellers within Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering what the advantages are of buying ecollars in aus over getting them o/s?

When they are so much cheaper in the USA, would the only difference be a charging adaptor and warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting.... I thought they were illegal to import without a permit, but not illegal to buy in Aus. I tried to buy a radio fence collar from overseas several years ago and customs siezed the collar, but not the remainder of the package (wire, instructions etc).

HOWEVER - looking here (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/num_reg_es/ciar20085n226o2008622.html) it appears that ban has been lifted. Collars designed to bruise or puncture the skin are still illegal to import.

The list of restricted imports can be found here http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp

This older thred may have some answers too http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/166765-importing-training-gear-from-the-usa/

Hope that helps.

From my understanding you can use them but not sell them without the c tick. You also might be in trouble with insurance if the device causes a fire and burns your house down.

That's a good point Jules! Gosh it'd be a worry if it did cause a fire!

Thanks Huski!

Thank you!

Hey Jessca

Where does the department of communications do dog patrols to see if they are wearing non C tick approved Ecollars :laugh: The C tick requirement more applies to commercial Ecollar resellers within Australia.

:laugh: I'd like to see that! The sticker rubbed off I swear!

Thanks in advance!

Interesting.... I thought they were illegal to import without a permit, but not illegal to buy in Aus. I tried to buy a radio fence collar from overseas several years ago and customs siezed the collar, but not the remainder of the package (wire, instructions etc).

HOWEVER - looking here (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/num_reg_es/ciar20085n226o2008622.html) it appears that ban has been lifted. Collars designed to bruise or puncture the skin are still illegal to import.

The list of restricted imports can be found here http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp

This older thred may have some answers too http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/166765-importing-training-gear-from-the-usa/

Hope that helps.

Thanks Tumbleweed!!

I ended up ordering one from K9Pro (thank you to thr very helpfull Bec who answered all my questions!!)

Can't wait to get a new one!

I ended up ordering one from K9Pro (thank you to thr very helpfull Bec who answered all my questions!!)

Can't wait to get a new one!

My pleasure! I think you'll really love the new collar. I couldn't be without my Dogtra!

Edited by huski