Rescues And Their Adoption "fees"

mixeduppup

So I've just been browsing through Petrescue as I do. I've seen some lovely dogs at RIDICULOUS prices. It seems some rescues are capitalizing on Purebreds or Pretty dogs. When another dog of equal age and temp but less good looking for a few hundred dollars less in some cases. I've seen rescues ranging from free to $700. Shouldn't rescues just charge for vet related fees and in some cases retraining (if an outside trainer/behaviourist is sort). I don't understand how $700 is justified when the same rescue (a few different rescues, not one in particular) had a cross breed for so much less. That seems like profiteering to me and it upset me a bit. Those prices seem a bit high to me and have put my friends off applying to certain rescues.

Is this the norm. up to $300 in difference for a crossbreed vs a purebred?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If rescues can attempt to recoup some cost why not? Some dogs need a fair amount of vet work, not all require the basics, so should a rescue always run at a loss or can they try and get ahead by charging a little more if people are willing to pay?

Why is it a ridiculous price? Because it's a rescue dog?

I very much doubt there are many rescues who break even let alone profit.

Edited by tollersowned

I just think that being a rescue they shouldn't profiteer from the dogs they are adopting, the rescue group I work for has a flat rate for EVERY dog, regardless of breed. I don't see why they should put a massive inflation on a breed presumed desirable. We make our money via, stalls and donations, not high fees on pretty dogs.

Add up the cost of the following.Vaccinations ,desexing, feeding the dog while it waits to be adopted,medications, vet checks,blankets, bed,toys,flea treatment.Did i forget anything.?Easily more than $700.

I guess so. I just don't agree but if they can, as long as the money goes back into saving more dogs :)

It does go back to helping other dogs ;like those that need a leg amputation or the costs of careing for a large litter of pups.

I guess so. I just don't agree but if they can, as long as the money goes back into saving more dogs :)

Most rescue groups are not for profit, so yes it would. The group I used to work with quite often took on community cases referred to be social workers,. they would desex and help feed their animals. They would also take on animals that would require a fair amount of vet treatment before they could be rehomed, like the wolfhound with the broken leg.

1341658893[/url]' post='5889751']

Add up the cost of the following.Vaccinations ,desexing, feeding the dog while it waits to be adopted,medications, vet checks,blankets, bed,toys,flea treatment.Did i forget anything.?Easily more than $700.

Shar pei often need a lot of eye work on top of all this. That can be pretty expensive.

A rescue dog isn't worth less than a prt shop dog ;). Some rescues charge more for some dogs so they can use the profits to help save another dog - what on earth is wring with that. Personally I'm nit a fan of selling dogs on the cheap - it encourages the wring behaviour.

I've rescued quite a few dogs that have cost me $700 but I cannot recoup that. If I have another dog that has cost me $300 for the vetwork and I sell that dog for $400, would you have a problem with that? I would have housed the dog and housetrained it but i don't charge for that. There are the vet bills and the training but there are other costs you may not have calculated that I also cannot charge for and won't usually recoup - quarantine fees, air/road transfers (I run a national rescue), my petrol and tolls ..... Rescuing dogs is not for the faint hearted or tight of purse, it's bloody expensive and time consuming.

I think that some larger scale not for profit rescues charge far to much for thier dogs. It's not just the sale of the dogs that large rescues get money from, they also get donations from the public to help them run it. Now, I know that the smaller ones do not recieve this sort of support, and need to charge a decent chunk of money to help recoup fees. But the large, prominent ones, get both the large sale price, public donations, and benefit from volunteer labour. I think it is wrong, you would think the most important thing is finding the dogs the 'right home' and not just if the people can afford to pay for them, and not how much they can recoup for them. I think the philosophy that the more the dog costs, the more value someone places on it is not only wrong but quite elitist. Im sure there are people out there who would make quite loving, caring, homes who cannot afford one large chunk of money to invest in a dog. Plus just because someone has shelved out heaps of money for it, does not guarantee a life long home. But I don't agree with giving them away for free, that is also wrong.

What about that one dog that comes through that costs $300 - 500 for general vet work but then needs knee or eye surgery at a cost of $3000? Not to mention food & general flea & worming pending how long the dog is in your care? They stay in your home for as long as it takes to find their RIGHT home.

DAMW rescues don't get a lot of 'donations' it's very naive of one to firmly believe that they do! Lets not forget to mention that most if not all rescuers pay for all the fuel costs associated with transporting these animals across the country side & should they find the perfect home on the other side of the Country most of the time all rescuers rally together to put their hands in their pockets again to get a plane ticket to send the animal there.

Also, I've seen & read on DOL on many occasions where that perfect home has turned up & they can't afford the whole adoption fee so they allowing them to take the dog for free, at a discounted price or let them pay it off.

It's easy for those who aren't aware to jump to conclusions!

Edited by Sunnyflower

I have no idea how any true rescue oculd make any profit whatsoever, I would imagine many would be completely in the red

When I fostered one dog, yes they would have made a profit. That's fantastic. But I only ever expected a Rescue to pay for the vet fees, I paid for flea/worm treatments/food etc because I could afford to. There would be many wonderful foster carers who couldn't and the REscue would no doubt willingly pay for that as well so even on a "no fuss" dog no profit would be made.

However the next dog the Rescue spent alot of money on an operation, far outweighed any money they got when the dog went to her forever home.

So good luck to Rescue to get what price they ask for for the dog

My adoption fee is $380, which only increased a few months ago. I am out of pocket for possibly $7,000 over the years, I take the smalls and most of them need dentals, grooming, etc, I am now retaining $50 of the adoption fee for my costs if the dog comes back within the 2 week trial period, in some cases after only a couple of days, I take the dogs to the new owners I don't have people coming to me as I live alone, have too many dogs and it is a security issue for me.

I also get the vet work done on any dogs that have had knee surgery, and I have had many over the years.

I have people who cannot afford to pay the adoption fee and unfortunately they don't get the dog as I wonder how they will get any vet work done on the dog if need be.

They may be a great home but I live by the saying "I just don't want "a" home for the dog I want "the" home for the dog" and it is not "what the person wants it is what the dog needs"

My investment for the dog "is for life"

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse