Rescues And Their Adoption "fees"

mixeduppup

Rescuing dogs is not for the faint hearted or tight of purse, it's bloody expensive and time consuming.

Aint that the truth...

One example that comes to mind for me, is husky Jasmine. She was 9 when she came into care and was supposedly desexed. She came into season, I took her to be desexed and when they opened her up she was full of pyo and tumours. Her uterine wall was falling apart as they operated and the vet said by rights, she should of been dead. I was given 2 options. 1) pts on the operating table or 2) continue. I was warned however that it would be costly.

Jasmine (along with Alaska & Bailey) had lived a sh!t life prior to coming into care. I didn't want Jasmine to leave this world without feeling what it was like to be really loved. She deserved that much at least so I asked them to continue and to do their best. They did and thankfully Jasmine made it through the op, got to come home and recovered. I have said it before and I will say it again, I will never, ever forget the way she looked at me after her op. It still brings tears to my eyes. The gratitude she showed was priceless.

Jasmine went on to the most fantastic home and 2+ years on, is still going as strong as ever and most importantly, is happy and loved.

She just went home from a 6 week stay actually (while her owners were OS) and seeing her seeing her owners again (and vice versa) was absolutely beautiful. She's truly loved and living the good life now, being spoiled and getting the one on one love she missed out on for the first 9+ years of her life.

It took me months to pay the vet bill off (some $1,500+) and yes I was left way out of pocket - but I would do it all again tommorow if I had to because no amount of money can buy the love & happiness she is experiencing today. :heart:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What all the experienced rescuers have said in this thread... PLUS the fact I've never yet seen a rescuer who has used adoption fees for petrol in their car (& maintenance) or telephone calls or any of the other personal costs associated with doing the work. All the adoption fees are ploughed into the direct needs of the dogs.

I've seen the full raft of costs for rescuers, up close.....so when we adopted our cat from a rescue, I insisted they take more money than their asking price.

And I thoroughly agree with others who've said that putting a price on dogs reflects the fact that they're valued.

The AWL I know has a habit of if they have " rarer" rescues come in that may attract more attention like a while ago they had a few spaniels and poodles and they charged more for them and the statement they made under the cost was "because I am a special dog my fee is xxx to help out some of my other shelter friends"

I think it's a reasonable concept it helps out the other dogs in the shelter and as well as that people who are truly committed to this dog cost wouldn't be an option..

If it helps them recoup the cost why not they bearly meet the cost they put in as is

I think that some larger scale not for profit rescues charge far to much for thier dogs. It's not just the sale of the dogs that large rescues get money from, they also get donations from the public to help them run it. Now, I know that the smaller ones do not recieve this sort of support, and need to charge a decent chunk of money to help recoup fees. But the large, prominent ones, get both the large sale price, public donations, and benefit from volunteer labour. I think it is wrong, you would think the most important thing is finding the dogs the 'right home' and not just if the people can afford to pay for them, and not how much they can recoup for them. I think the philosophy that the more the dog costs, the more value someone places on it is not only wrong but quite elitist. Im sure there are people out there who would make quite loving, caring, homes who cannot afford one large chunk of money to invest in a dog. Plus just because someone has shelved out heaps of money for it, does not guarantee a life long home. But I don't agree with giving them away for free, that is also wrong.

This doesn't make sense. If they are a larger group then they are placing a greater number of dogs, so that's a good thing, not a wrong thing. Non-profit means that the profit goes back into rescuing more dogs.

All large rescues started out as small rescues, if they have grown into large organisations, are placing lots of dogs into good homes and are attracting sponsorship and volunteers, then they must be doing something right.

There is nothing elitist about dogs or anything else costing different amounts of money depending on a perceived value. That's just how life is. If a person can't save up a few hundred dollars to buy a dog, how will they look after it if it needs expensive vet treatment?

Grrr threads like this pee me off. Like every rescuer I know I'm thousands and thousands of dollars out of pocket. And to rescue and rehome the next westie I need to recoup a reasonable amount of my costs for the one before.

I generally try and recover 50% of the direct costs like vet, grooming bills etc - not all the incidentals like food, fuel, phone costs for the westies I rehome. I always keep the receipts and these go with the westie to their new owners - and once they see them I've never once had a complaint. The most expensive westie we rehomed we asked $500.00 for which was less than 50% of his grooming and vet bills etc of well over $1000.00. And once the new owners saw the receipts they gave us an extra 100 dollars which was very kind of them! Others have been cheaper depending on what we've spent.

And quite frankly I'm wary of people who want a 'freebie' or a bargain just because a dog is a rescue. I worry that that attitude will carry over into the care they give the dog. :(

Edited by westiemum

I think that some larger scale not for profit rescues charge far to much for thier dogs. It's not just the sale of the dogs that large rescues get money from, they also get donations from the public to help them run it. Now, I know that the smaller ones do not recieve this sort of support, and need to charge a decent chunk of money to help recoup fees. But the large, prominent ones, get both the large sale price, public donations, and benefit from volunteer labour. I think it is wrong, you would think the most important thing is finding the dogs the 'right home' and not just if the people can afford to pay for them, and not how much they can recoup for them. I think the philosophy that the more the dog costs, the more value someone places on it is not only wrong but quite elitist. Im sure there are people out there who would make quite loving, caring, homes who cannot afford one large chunk of money to invest in a dog. Plus just because someone has shelved out heaps of money for it, does not guarantee a life long home. But I don't agree with giving them away for free, that is also wrong.

You completely miss the point. As I've intimated in my post above, rescue is not free. Who do you think pays for all the vet, and grooming work for example?? The vets don't dish it out for free (they can't afford to) and neither can rescuers. And in some cases its damn expensive - I've been lucky that my most expensive westie was 'only' a bit more expensive than $1000.00 - others have spent much more. Where do you get the idea that people have God-given rights to dogs at their price when a rescuer is potentially thousands of dollars out of pocket? And if someone can't afford an adoption fee then I'm sorry but they can't afford a dog. And I'm not about to put a dog back into a position where they potentially may not get the vet care they need - which is often precisely what landed them into rescue in the first place. End of story (rant).

Edited by westiemum

I fail to understand why rescue or shelters must run on the smell of an oily rag in some peoples opinion.

If you are lucky to make a small profit, that money allows you to spend it on another. It makes sense to run any rescue org as a business where along with policies and procedures, profits are put back into the organisation to improve and maintain and build that org.

We are not just talking about rehoming dogs, think of education for the public, newsletters, behaviourists, trainers etc.

It is the people who cut corners simply to get the dog out of the pound and dump it in the first persons lap who comes along with no support what so ever, no checks, no quarantine, free on gumtree or at a very low cost (just to get them out the door, since the unsuspecting public have donated for some vet work because they feel sorry for the dog about to die on death row) or god knows what else, who make my blood boil.

I only rescue on a small scale as I have other commitments with my local shelter though the female I have in care atm was in whelp. Her adoption fee will cover the cost of her desex, that’s it. She has been with me over six weeks as she suffers from SA (now managed, though will need an experienced, committed owner who will follow her plan) is fed premium food and raw and has the same level of training and care as my own dogs.

When she arrived It looked like she was coming out of season, which is not unusual. She went through quarantine and then straight to my vet. I had a feeling she could be in early whelp after she was here a week and a half. Ultrasound and physical exam showed she was probably in whelp. Luckily she was only 3 ½ weeks into her pregnancy. I decided to have the bubs removed (which is not a nice decision to make) though she was only a baby herself at 10 months, god knows who the father was, it meant looking for 11 great homes instead of one. Thank god I made that decision as when my Vet called, she had 10 potential pups.

I agree rescue pets are far too often devalued.

I will tell you why I took Peaches.

When I met her and temp tested her I could see while she had a fantastic base temp and was great with other dogs I thought she may suffer from SA.

I was terrified that a "group" who "rescue" dogs though claim they are not a "rescue" though have a clause, who call for donations on a massive scale on social network sites, and sprout that "fostering is free" then transport dogs all over the countryside without quarentine, without assesment to unsuspecting people who feel sorry for the dogs who are going to be murdered the next morning (I could go on) would get their hands on her.

I trust my gut, knew they would get her, knew she would end up dead or on a chain, or dumped at a shelter in VIC because an average dog oner would not be able to deal with SA.

I could see she was coming out of season and their was a chance she could be in whelp, so I put my name on her to buy her.

Thank god I did, because I cant stand the thought of what would have happened to this lovely dog in their hands.

Rant over.

So I've just been browsing through Petrescue as I do. I've seen some lovely dogs at RIDICULOUS prices. It seems some rescues are capitalizing on Purebreds or Pretty dogs. When another dog of equal age and temp but less good looking for a few hundred dollars less in some cases. I've seen rescues ranging from free to $700. Shouldn't rescues just charge for vet related fees and in some cases retraining (if an outside trainer/behaviourist is sort). I don't understand how $700 is justified when the same rescue (a few different rescues, not one in particular) had a cross breed for so much less. That seems like profiteering to me and it upset me a bit. Those prices seem a bit high to me and have put my friends off applying to certain rescues.

Is this the norm. up to $300 in difference for a crossbreed vs a purebred?

And if a dog is in rescue for months, should the rescue just wear the cost of the food, worming nd other general costs associated with owning a dog?

What about the cost of toys, collar and lead?

You know it's not just the desexing cost, it costs money to get them out of the pound, we often have to buy crates, extra bedding, toys, collar, lead, the cost of advertising the dogs, printing adoption papers and council change over paperwork, the cost to fundraise as well. These costs add up over time.

If rescue can recoup some funds on a purebred or 'prettier' dog why not because I guarantee there are plenty of dogs where they lose money.

I know of a few dogs that are still in foster care after many months, just add up the costs for your own dog over that time, add on desexing, training, fleaing, worming and food etc.

Then consider the dogs that come into care that when tested have issues like heartworm and the cost to treat that...

It's not just the cost to desex and some food.

I know as a foster carer I give my fosters the same barf food, premium kibble, toys and medication like comforts and advantix that I give my own dog...

If they don't make money they can't continue to rescue..

There seems to be a perception out there that rescue dogs should be cheap purely because they are rescues. The implication is that there is something "wrong" with them... which in most cases couldn't be further from the truth. Just because a dog may have found itself homeless for whatever reason, doesn't automatically mean that it's "broken" or in any way "inferior" to any other dog out there.

Of the many hundreds of rescue dogs I've had the privilege to get to know over the years, I'd say a good 80-90% have been perfectly sound of mind and body - something we all aim for in a pet, yes?

What I don't understand are the people who complain about the price of a rescue dog and the process involved in adopting one, then go out and pay a hell of a lot more for a dog from a pet shop - with no guarantees whatsoever... some people just want that cute dog/pup NOW!

I can tell you right now though - the investment rescuers, foster carers, and volunteers put into their charges is way MORE than financial - we also invest our hearts and souls... and you can't put any price on that.

T.

People happily pay high prices to buy a dog from a pet shop or backyard breeder, undesexed, medical problems etc. unknown, so what is the problem with paying for a dog who has been in foster care with all vet work done and a known quantity? I have said before that all the rescues I know would love to be out of business and have no animals to rescue, but while there are so many why can't they recoup a little of the money spent?

Guest donatella

My adoption fee is $380, which only increased a few months ago. I am out of pocket for possibly $7,000 over the years, I take the smalls and most of them need dentals, grooming, etc, I am now retaining $50 of the adoption fee for my costs if the dog comes back within the 2 week trial period, in some cases after only a couple of days, I take the dogs to the new owners I don't have people coming to me as I live alone, have too many dogs and it is a security issue for me.

I also get the vet work done on any dogs that have had knee surgery, and I have had many over the years.

I have people who cannot afford to pay the adoption fee and unfortunately they don't get the dog as I wonder how they will get any vet work done on the dog if need be.

They may be a great home but I live by the saying "I just don't want "a" home for the dog I want "the" home for the dog" and it is not "what the person wants it is what the dog needs"

My investment for the dog "is for life"

Maree

CPR

I always see your work with the little guys on the rescue forum and just want to say THANKS! You do a great job :)

I don't think the OP was saying rescue dogs should be cheaper. They were confused about the large price difference's

I know of some fantastic rescue orgs who put a higher price on some sought after breeds and puppies so that they are not "on sold", I agree with this.

So I've just been browsing through Petrescue as I do. I've seen some lovely dogs at RIDICULOUS prices. It seems some rescues are capitalizing on Purebreds or Pretty dogs. When another dog of equal age and temp but less good looking for a few hundred dollars less in some cases. I've seen rescues ranging from free to $700. Shouldn't rescues just charge for vet related fees and in some cases retraining (if an outside trainer/behaviourist is sort). I don't understand how $700 is justified when the same rescue (a few different rescues, not one in particular) had a cross breed for so much less. That seems like profiteering to me and it upset me a bit. Those prices seem a bit high to me and have put my friends off applying to certain rescues.

Is this the norm. up to $300 in difference for a crossbreed vs a purebred?

And if a dog is in rescue for months, should the rescue just wear the cost of the food, worming nd other general costs associated with owning a dog?

What about the cost of toys, collar and lead?

I didn't read the OP has saying Rescue should not make money or charge x for their dogs,

but rescues should not place different values, significant differences, between a heinz mut, and pure bred.

I agree, there is a hypocrisy to it; save a life, breeders breed for money, dont buy from a breeder while there are dogs in need of a home kind of thing.

Edited by lilli

I don't think the OP was saying rescue dogs should be cheaper. They were confused about the large price difference's

I know of some fantastic rescue orgs who put a higher price on some sought after breeds and puppies so that they are not "on sold", I agree with this.

aren't the mutts just as valuable? I get where the OP is coming from.

aren't the mutts just as valuable? I get where the OP is coming from.

Yes of course they are, though there are some particular breeds who are at risk of being onsold for profit. Increasing the adoption fee often avoids that happening.

ETA Particularly as they are desexed prior to rehome, breeding is not possible.

Edited by Nic.B