Idiots And Their Dogs.

mixeduppup

I think those flexy paracord leads are rotten things Lol. I saw a dog run full pelt to the end of one and shanghai Itself in the back of the head as the owner didn't have a strong enough grip, not to mention tying peoples legs up ninja style.eek1.gif

Just my observation.

I'm sure many don't have an issue using them though. I actually bought one once when I first had my dog, but the handle split apart in about 3 weeks. What a dud contraption! Solid leads all the way from then on.

I know a lady who used a flexi leash for her SWF, and wasn't quick enough to lock it in place one day and stood there holding one end while her dog went under the wheels of a passing car.

Oh wow, that is awful. Bloody stupid invention they are. :mad

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are those leashes not banned, they are such a risk to all involved, I cant stand them.

Also, to defend the OP, I walk two Staffies and if I need to get their attention I give them a tap with my foot, so people will probably have a go at me. These dogs run into doors and each other at full speed, shake themselves off and continue, my foot is the least of my worries.

Why are those leashes not banned, they are such a risk to all involved, I cant stand them.

Also, to defend the OP, I walk two Staffies and if I need to get their attention I give them a tap with my foot, so people will probably have a go at me. These dogs run into doors and each other at full speed, shake themselves off and continue, my foot is the least of my worries.

I absolutely agree - those leads are useless bits of crap. I was walking my rather timid BC on a quiet road and some stupid woman with a JRT came up, let the stupid thing stretch his lead out and it came roaring up to Toby growling and barking. Poor Toby thought it was the end of the world and tried to get behind me . I didn't have much time to react, so the little dog got behind me to get to Toby who was trying to get away & I ended up trapped with this stringy stuff around my legs (so taking scissors next time - snip snip, end of lead) ARGH. Stupid owner was still at least 3m away. Yelling out "Ohh he's friendly, he just wants to say hi"

Yeah try telling that to my dog who is completely crapping his daks!

If you don't want your dog pulling, try actually training it before you get one of those idiotic leads.

Good on you for trying to avoid the situtaion and getting your dogs attention in an effective manner.

I would have done exactly the same. Trying to explain to someone their dog is behaving rudely is very tricky. Hard to do it tactfully especially when you're trying to avoid said dog getting to your own.

And yes Flexi-leads in busy streets are a really bad idea. No problems with them or a long line in an open park, fields, woods etc.

I use flexi leads all the time, but only idiots would let it wind out while walking on a street with traffic.

Back to the original topic, I'm not sure how many more "lead hints" the staffy owner needed from the OP to see that she didn't want contact with her or her dog. She scurried off the street up a flight of stairs!

I have a flexi lead and it's great. Don't blame the gear for the incorrect use of it by people. If it wasn't a flexi it would most likely be a long line.

:) I have had mine for over 20 years ..it has survived multiple labradors, and all sorts of dogs .

I also use the flexi lead and have for many years. The thing I do is when approaching someone I pull the lead in shorter so as to have control. It's the only sensible and courteous thing to do. It's only a matter of common sense. It's the person holding the lead, not the lead

itself.

I have a flexi lead and it's great. Don't blame the gear for the incorrect use of it by people. If it wasn't a flexi it would most likely be a long line.

:) I have had mine for over 20 years ..it has survived multiple labradors, and all sorts of dogs .

Same here. My original ones are about 20 year old and still going strong in regular use. The ones available today seem a lot flimsier though. I bought one a few years ago with a poo bag dispenser and torch built in but it is useless, locking up all the time. I never use them anywhere near traffic and always drive to quiet fairly deserted parks but it means my two can have a pretty good walk and still remain legally on lead. Walking two dogs at once on long lines is impossible but I can do it easily with the flexi leashes. Mine also have about 60cm of wider lead with a hand hold nearest the dog so if I need to hold them close I can easily grab that bit.

It isn't the leash that is the problem it is the way it is used. Same goes for long lines. I knew someone that used to walk a very well trained dog on a long line that had the same thing happen with a car hitting the dog when it wandered across a quiet road but tragically the owner was also then pulled under the car and didn't survive either. This was a very experienced dog person lost to a moments inattention of where his dog was.