Inside Dogs And Geographical Location

mixeduppup

There are lifestyles that are suited to outside dogs. Farmers for instance, the dog spend all day with their owners and are quite content to sit on the porch alone at night but the average pet owner with an outside dog spends very little time with them from my observation especially over winter.

Hahaha. Or in my dog's case, he'll sit on the ute at night waiting for us to go to work rofl1.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boys are outside dogs ... and it is their choice - the youngest was brought up inside. Inside they need to behave but outside they can basically do as they please so naturally they prefer to run around silly outside.

Rogue is an inside boy , he only goes out to toilet or zoom'around the yard.. He spends the time we are at work in his run but that's to keep him safe more so.. He has a crate for night but we leave the door open and If I get up in the night he is either asleep in the lounge or on the end of our bed if its not too hot in our room :-) He keeps my feet warm :-) .. When he gets older we will have a dog door so he can be in or out while we are at work but I think he would just sleep on the lounge all day lol he is only 8 mths old now..

It seems to me that I see a lot more people on the American forums suggesting that dogs not be kept outside at all. That they are family and need to be with the family, they get almost militant about it in some cases (don't mention you have outside dogs or they get rather perturbed). Whereas the Aussie forums are much more laid back, and has an eclectic mix, some have inside dogs, others have inside/outside and others have outside. (I know if I tried to bring my maremma in he'd pee on everything, shed on everything then want out lol)

Also crating is a HUGE fad in America but over here not so much (although increasing in popularity) I couldn't crate my dogs for 8 hours a day if I worked fulltime.

I have found the same thing. I even gave a link by Kersti Seksel once & they still were't convinced.

http://abrionline.org/abri-podcast.php behaviour talk 27 about 15 mins 15 secs in where she talks about the differences of keeping dogs & cats in the US vs Aust.

My dogs have evolved, from a child when our dogs lived outside & only came inside for short periods before bedtime, & the same with the 1st 2 dogs I had when married to now having them all live inside but mostly outside in the daytime. At my obedience club we still find about 1/2 the new membership won't allow their dogs inside even though we recommend they be inside from a training point of view.

My dogs are inside at night and inside/outside if we are home during the day and free roam of the house and enormous screened verandahs when we are at work....They would hate to be left out at night, but love outside time during the day when we are home. I love dog doors for that reason.

I have lived in the USA and Europe and I find the most dogs are inside and are allowed to go everywhere with the people....When we lived in the uSA we were allowed to take our dogs into certain Hotels and into a lot of Public places...the same in Europe. Als Public Transport and so forth.

I do not like the crating for long periods, especially in giant breeds...i am on a forum (since 2003) and it seems the norm for some to crate their dogs for long periods.

I like my dogs with me......My dogs like to be with me. But we have a huge garden where they also like to be and spend time sunning, chasing lizards and just looking out. I do feel sad for dogs that are left out with no time withthe owners. But I also know some people who have outside dogs that do give them plenty of time. In my world they are inside though

My dogs are crated.....when I go to work my 2 show dogs are crated. My bitch can be left free range in the house. If it is not raining she can be outside with the other 2. They sleep inside in their crates. :)

The crates are in the family room. It works for my family :D

What kind of dog is Rogue? Is he an Airedale?

Yes he is an Airedale Terrier I think in my profile pic he is just a baby .. I can't see it on my tablet .. :-) I have recent pics in photo section :-)

Edited by mumof4girls

It seems to me that I see a lot more people on the American forums suggesting that dogs not be kept outside at all. That they are family and need to be with the family, they get almost militant about it in some cases (don't mention you have outside dogs or they get rather perturbed). Whereas the Aussie forums are much more laid back, and has an eclectic mix, some have inside dogs, others have inside/outside and others have outside. (I know if I tried to bring my maremma in he'd pee on everything, shed on everything then want out lol)

Also crating is a HUGE fad in America but over here not so much (although increasing in popularity) I couldn't crate my dogs for 8 hours a day if I worked fulltime.

So my question is, what do you think it is about The American culture that has dogs pretty much housebound? As far as I'm concerned as long as the dog is loved and cared for, given daily attention, food,warm bed, shelter, exercise and you time I don't see a problem with being outside dogs. I'm also not against inside dogs as my JRT is mostly inside and he loves it and we love him being in here. But I hate the view that because you keep your dog outside it's immediately being neglected. I worked at a shelter in America for sometime and when they found out I had outside dogs they didn't understand. Unless dogs work cattle they are inside. I know that in some rural areas wild animals are a factor but not in all areas, and this seems to be nationwide.

I got this the other day when I mentioned on a dog-related website y dogs were primarily outdoor dogs. I was told that I shouldn't have dogs because they aren't part of my family because I keep them outside. Which is funny if you know me and my kids :D I politely disagreed and left the person to their prejudices.