Inside Dogs And Geographical Location

mixeduppup

It seems to me that I see a lot more people on the American forums suggesting that dogs not be kept outside at all. That they are family and need to be with the family, they get almost militant about it in some cases (don't mention you have outside dogs or they get rather perturbed). Whereas the Aussie forums are much more laid back, and has an eclectic mix, some have inside dogs, others have inside/outside and others have outside. (I know if I tried to bring my maremma in he'd pee on everything, shed on everything then want out lol)

Also crating is a HUGE fad in America but over here not so much (although increasing in popularity) I couldn't crate my dogs for 8 hours a day if I worked fulltime.

So my question is, what do you think it is about The American culture that has dogs pretty much housebound? As far as I'm concerned as long as the dog is loved and cared for, given daily attention, food,warm bed, shelter, exercise and you time I don't see a problem with being outside dogs. I'm also not against inside dogs as my JRT is mostly inside and he loves it and we love him being in here. But I hate the view that because you keep your dog outside it's immediately being neglected. I worked at a shelter in America for sometime and when they found out I had outside dogs they didn't understand. Unless dogs work cattle they are inside. I know that in some rural areas wild animals are a factor but not in all areas, and this seems to be nationwide.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think severe temperature (snow etc) and the existence of predators would have a lot to do with it.

Also a lot of American yards don't seem to be fenced. So the options are chain or crate.

Mind you, the fact that a dog is inside is no guarantee of good care. The rescues see plenty of dogs that rarely made it out of a basement pen. :(

In Europe dogs live inside too. I'm from Europe so my dogs are inside.

While I get the logic of keeping dogs outside while you're at work, I really don't see the point in getting a dog and then keeping it outside full time. Where's the enjoyment in that? Around here there are several houses where they have SWF, and they are left outside at night, even in the cold spell we've had lately. Fair enough for dogs that get too hot inside, but SWF are lap dogs, they're supposed to be with their families.

Also, I would never keep mine outside, they might bark, we might get complaints, someone could poison them, someone could steal them, kids might open the gate for them. Plus, because my dogs live inside, they are much more comfy inside than outside. When left outside if we go out somewhere they usually stress and run from door to door wondering when they will be let in, while if they're inside they just go to sleep until we get back.

And when we walk through the neighbourhood at night, nearly every house has a dog in the yard that barks at us as we walk past, which sets off the other dogs on the street. I personally wouldn't appreciate being woken up late at night by barking dogs.

Edited by fuzzy82

While I get the logic of keeping dogs outside while you're at work, I really don't see the point in getting a dog and then keeping it outside full time. Where's the enjoyment in that? Around here there are several houses where they have SWF, and they are left outside at night, even in the cold spell we've had lately. Fair enough for dogs that get too hot inside, but SWF are lap dogs, they're supposed to be with their families.

Also, I would never keep mine outside, they might bark, we might get complaints, someone could poison them, someone could steal them, kids might open the gate for them. Plus, because my dogs live inside, they are much more comfy inside than outside. When left outside if we go out somewhere they usually stress and run from door to door wondering when they will be let in, while if they're inside they just go to sleep until we get back.

And when we walk through the neighbourhood at night, nearly every house has a dog in the yard that barks at us as we walk past, which sets off the other dogs on the street. I personally wouldn't appreciate being woken up late at night by barking dogs.

I suppose it's different for you but I get great joy out of my outside dogs, my dogs don't suffer from being outside,they prefer it. It doesn't mean I'm neglecting the, I just do things differently.

My dogs have a dog door. They are technically inside dogs but go outside to run around, play in the dirt and catch some sun every day. I don't think a 100% "inside all the time" is healthy either - lack of Vitamin D springs to mind.

There are lots of risks with having dogs go outside, but I believe that the benefits outweigh the risks. Mine do agility and a dog can die from an agility accident. I'd rather that they live full, happy, true doggy lives though than remain wrapped in cotton wool.

Guest lavendergirl

I am with you Fuzzy. I know they generally have kennels and can probably keep themselves warm but I hate the thought of the littlies outside at night.

My dogs have a dog door. They are technically inside dogs but go outside to run around, play in the dirt and catch some sun every day. I don't think a 100% "inside all the time" is healthy either - lack of Vitamin D springs to mind.

There are lots of risks with having dogs go outside, but I believe that the benefits outweigh the risks. Mine do agility and a dog can die from an agility accident. I'd rather that they live full, happy, true doggy lives though than remain wrapped in cotton wool.

Same as megan with my two.

Mine (pug and frenchie) are free range - the pretty much come and go as they please, but are crated inside overnight. When I worked in an office they were outside while we were gone, but now I work from home so they are mostly inside. The pug would spend all of her time indoors if she could, the frenchie does like a bit of outside time (mainly for getting up to mischief, I'm sure).

I find the Australian culture of having dogs outside 24/7 more unusual and less commonplace in the rest of the western world, than having a dog that is inside.

I don't disagree with having a dog outside when not home, but dogs that are outside all the time with little to no interaction with family just doesn't sit well with me, and i question what the point is of having a dog at all. dogs that are given lots of mental stimulation and given lots of attention even if always outside, is going to be a better owner than someone who doesn't do anything with their dog, even if it's inside...

ETA - my dogs are inside when i'm not home, and free to be inside or outside when I'm home. They mostly choose to be inside when i'm home, only going outside for brief periods of sunning or toileting, playing or just cruising around the garden. I do understand that there are certain breeds and even temperaments that would probably be happy or even prefer to be outside all the time, but my breeds are not one of those.

Edited by SparkyTansy

I understand that many breeds are better inside and if you're happy to have a dog inside then that's up to you. I'm more worried about the negative connotations that follow people with outside dogs, who do spend a HEAP of time with them. I'm currently sitting on the back veranda with my laptop giving them dog cookies. I think with a lot of people the idea of outside dogs conjures up images of a dog sitting ina backyard lonely and neglected, but proper homes where the dogs are outside are not like that at all. We're a busy family and in and out all the time. Also how about crating all day whilst you're at work. What is everyone's opinion on that? I couldn't do it.

It's also a bit of a danger to judge national trends etc based on internet forums - what appears to be most or least common based on users of a dog forum isn't necessary reflective of the broader population, and could be quite misleading.

As I posted I also worked in a shelter in America (in an area not known for extremes in climate) and they were all quite shocked that I had outside dogs. One lady actually said that in her area if there's dogs outside all the time they'd get reported. Again generalisations because of neglectful owners getting in the way of good outside dog owners.

My golden retrievers are outside dogs, They get plenty of attention and time spent with them. We have a covered in varander which also has a wood heater so the dogs can lay in front of that. They also have kennels in the varander too. I try to walk 3 of my dogs daily if the weather is premitting. My old male golden retriever doesn't really leave the yard as he can't walk too far due to his back legs, He often fulls over. He can't even play standing he has to lay down. My whippet and chihuahua are indoor/outdoor dogs, There much easier to exercise on rainy days, I just throw a toy down the hallway for them.

We do go outside several times a day, we go for a walk in the morning, then throughout the day we go outside so they can pee and lie in the sun, and another walk in the evening. They're not wrapped in cotton wool, they just prefer to be inside with me. We also do obedience, DWD and agility, so it's not like they're missing out.

My dog spends most of the time outside, for a few reasons

-When we first got Cleo, we didn't have our own house on the property we share with the in laws, we shared a house with them and had to respect the rules re. dogs in house. Also their dog lives outside (but sleeps in bathroom in winter).

-Every time I've tried to bring Cleo into the house during the day once our "house" was built, she can't relax. I give her a pigs ear to lie down and eat and she tries to take it outside. Can't have a doggy door at this point.

-Between the 5 of us living on the property, there is generally ALWAYS someone home (usually my father in law) and a lot of time is spent out of doors.

She does sleep in her crate inside at night and we are working on her calming down inside. Once we have a home of our own (on a property of our own) we'll probably have a doggy door installed so she can decide where she wants to be freely.

Re. crating the whole time you're at work - couldn't do it. Cleo loves doing her zoomies around the house, and for a dalmatian, I think spending that much time crated would be detrimental to her. Sure you can exercise them when you get home from work I'd rather give my dog the run of the backyard as she pleases (note - where I live is fairly remote, a little village, so I have no worries re. theives, and we generally always have someone home)

I used to be part of an American breed specific forum. I have 3 dogs, One 90% indoor dog, one 50% indoor/outdoor dog and one 100% outdoor. I have my reasons for this and I believe all 3 dogs are super happy and each dog knows his/her place. Once the Americans on the forum found out this bit of info they were most un-kind to me and suggested I get rid of my dogs and some even suggested reporting me to the RSPCA. I found this insanely hilarious as all 3 of my dogs live better lives and are better fed than some human children. I don't think Americans understand that our Aussie lifestyle is very much an outdoor one, living part of our time most of the year under our verandahs or pergolas or on our decks. We often cook outside, eat outside, hangout outside and our dogs are right there with us. Outdoor dogs here in Australia aren't ignored and can be as much a part of the family as indoor dogs. If I was to bring my 100% outdoor dog inside as suggested by members of that forum she would just feel uncomfortable as it's not her place, never has been and never will be. I don't believe dogs should be left in crates all day and it seemed most of them did this while at work all day. Dogs love being outside in the sun and sometimes even in the rain. They like doing doggy, outdoor things like rolling on the grass and digging holes.

I can't understand the need to crate a dog all night and then all day when you're at work.

That's 2/3 of the day in a tiny space.

If I was worried about safety, preadators, theft etc I'd leave my dog inside, or have a nice safe run outside so she has some space to move about.

At the moment Esky's only alone maybe 1 hour a day, she copes fine being left inside or out.

Yes, I agree that I can't think of crating my dog during the day...he is confined in the unit. He likes to be under the doona :laugh: I also haven't done the overnight crate thing and with current dog is probably too late even if I tried... He used to be crated everynight outside in kennels before I got him but he knows I can't do it, am a soft touch in this aspect!