Vet Recommendation Newcastle Or Within 1 Hour

I would be very grateful for recommendations of excellent vets in the Newcastle or general Hunter area. I am an hour from Newcastle but because there are more there than in the smaller towns, I think that is where I am more likely to find one that I am happy with.

I would prefer them to be in practice that is available after hours for emergencies and has good hospital facilities and overnight care available. I am a breeder of a large breed and have quite a few dogs and have been very frustrated by the fact that the vet that I have been using is now only available 4 days a week and is not available at all even to answer questions by phone at any time other than his normal hours.

I desperately want a vet that I can have full confidence in as well as confidence in his facilities.

Martin is who I am about to switch over to... I asked after my last litter and a very crap vet experience who is the best and most people said him. There were also some recommendations for a vet in adamstown? I think it was them anyway!:thumbsup:

I use one in Adamstown - Brunker Road Veterinary Centre - and have found them to be very thorough, caring, professional and happy to discuss treatment options with me. I like them also as, out of the 3 vets I have seen there so far, all have had experience and have been knowledgeable about Sighthounds ( unlike the other practice local to me). The hospital itself is only 5 years old as the practice came out of the merging of 2 others, and they built the new surgery to accommodate them.

I'm not sure what their After Hours/Emergency coverage is like (fortunately have not had to call on them for that since I started going there) but can fully recommend Newcastle Animal Emergency Centre after I had need of them during a very traumatic time in December last year.

Hope that helps a bit, and that you're able to find a vet practice you feel comfortable and happy with.

I am on the Central Coast, however would recommend David Larrit from Wallsend Vet Hopsital very highly. He is also a Greyhound man and is very experienced. I do not however know what their afterhours is like.

Ashley

Thanks very much for your replies, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Fordogs & Nevafollo, Martin is very good and I have used and recommended him for a long time but unfortunately for a while now he has not been available sat, sun, monday and sometimes other days as well. I always seem to need a good vet during those times (seem to be the times when something more worrying crops up)and need an alternative that I can have confidence in.

I have used the NAEC too (4 times) since they opened and they are excellent but animals can't stay during normal hours (mon to fri, after 7am from memory). So if there is an ongoing problem the dog has to be taken back to their normal vet during the day but then the normal vet has no one there overnight. They are also very expensive and you have to pay the estimated bill before treatment is started. That is not the major consideration though and would certainly not stop me using them. Not being able to stay there is quite a problem though. Being an hour from there if I wanted supervision of a night I would have to collect the dog early in the morning, take it back to my usual vet and then collect it of an evening and take it back to them and so on every day while being hospitalised. So there would be hours of travelling a sick dog which is not ideal. I realise that may be the only solution though if there are not any hospitals that at least are able to check on them during the night.

Perigrine, Adamstown was one of the ones I was wondering about. Years ago I heard that it was very good but then I also heard that it had changed hands and so I wondered whether it still had the same standard of vets there. So your recommendation helps. I will phone them to find out what there hours are.

Asley B. Hadn't heard anything about Wallsend before so will wait to see if any one else tells me more about them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the Central Coast, however would recommend David Larrit from Wallsend Vet Hopsital very highly. He is also a Greyhound man and is very experienced. I do not however know what their afterhours is like.

Ashley

I want to agree with ASHLEY. David Larfrit from Wallsend Vet Hospital is excellent. He is also a naturopath and gave Milly acupuncture which took away her pain.

Best of all she liked him!