Vet Recommendation Newcastle Or Surrounding Areas

Peaches

I would be very grateful for recommendations of excellent vets in the Newcastle or general Hunter area. I am an hour from Newcastle but because there are more there than in the smaller towns, I think that is where I am more likely to find one that I am happy with.

I would prefer them to be in practice that is available after hours for emergencies and has good hospital facilities and overnight care available. I am a breeder of a large breed and have quite a few dogs and have been very frustrated by the fact that the vet that I have been using is now only available 4 days a week and is not available at all even to answer questions by phone at any time other than his normal hours.

I desperately want a vet that I can have full confidence in as well as confidence in his facilities.

I've used Williams River Vet Clinic in Clarence Town, they're a smaller practice but seem reliable (few years ago though) Also East Maitland Vet Clinic is meant to be good (word of mouth have never been) The one across the road from Greenhills.

Thanks very much for the responses so far.

I used to go to the East Maitland practice many years ago (about 18 yrs) and had a very bad experience and speaking to others afterwards found quite a few who had also. It may very well have changed hands since then and be completely different but I would not be game enough to go there again unless I knew that it had no association with the vet that owned it then.

Bullmastiffmum is there any particular vet that you like in the Kurri/Cessnock practice? Do you know how available they are in an after hours emergency? Do you know how up to date their hospital equipment is?

Maitland has a few vets. There's Greencross Maitland/Rutherford (2 clinics), Greenhills Vet, Holmes at East Maitland. There is also a mobile vet at Maitland as well. I work for one clinic (I'm not saying which one as I don't want to Bias anyone). You've also got Newcastle Animal Emergency Centre for after hours stuff, which is something a lot of vets are using in conjunction with their own on call services (ie for intensive care situations).

Cessnock vet's - most of their vets are nice. I've worked with a few of them from when I worked at the animal shelter at Kurri.

Sorry i stuffed up , i checked today and

Cessnock vet is only 24hr emergency for large animals like, livestock

Other animals ,they are available till 10pm, then you are referred to ?? 24hr emergency centre at broadmeadow

I have seen all the vets , and i havent had a problem with any of them

I did ask about the equipment, and they are able to provide full services for hospital

Sorry i stuffed up , i checked today and

Cessnock vet is only 24hr emergency for large animals like, livestock

Other animals ,they are available till 10pm, then you are referred to ?? 24hr emergency centre at broadmeadow

I have seen all the vets , and i havent had a problem with any of them

I did ask about the equipment, and they are able to provide full services for hospital

Don't know what I did wrong - my reply didn't appear - just the post was replying to! So I will try again.

Thanks for that Bullmastiffmum. At least they are available until 10pm. The ones I have been using have only been available until 5.30 pm weekdays (and 12pm sat) before referring to the Newcastle Emergency Centre. That also means that if a dog has to stay overnight there is no one to supervise between about 6pm and 8am. Sat and sunday are worse.

1342091020[/url]' post='5895770']

Don't know what I did wrong - my reply didn't appear - just the post was replying to! So I will try again.

Thanks for that Bullmastiffmum. At least they are available until 10pm. The ones I have been using have only been available until 5.30 pm weekdays (and 12pm sat) before referring to the Newcastle Emergency Centre. That also means that if a dog has to stay overnight there is no one to supervise between about 6pm and 8am. Sat and sunday are worse.

I don't know what they are like, but I am pretty sure the one at Hamilton is open 8am til 7 or so and then are open all day Saturday and Sunday as well.

Edited by Cat