New Staffy Puppy This Weekend

--B--

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely do NOT worm her again so soon after being heartwormed, vaccinated, transported to a new home, had a total change of diet and everything else.

Wait a week at least. Unless she has a giant tapeworm and is severely anaemic, worms won't kill her in a week. Let her settle down, get used to all the changes, then worm her again.

I am gobsmacked the vet didn't mention her legs and feet - they're pretty bad!

If you are not getting papers for her, then it would be a bit risky if you ever, in her lifetime, needed to take her through Victoria, due to their legislation on some dogs :( Also, at what age do you intend to get her desexed as some on here could give you some good advise on what age would be best suitable. Of course, you would want to get her done before she had any chance of coming on heat & getting preg.

But they've had her about week now haven't they?

I read it that their vet had wormed, vaccinated and heartwormed her which is what I was responding to. Think I'm wrong, re-reading it. Still wouldn't worm a pup within a week of getting it home.

If it were my pup, the first thing I would be doing would be to take out Health Insurance for her. If you could not afford to buy a good pup from a proper breeder that does all the health tests, & you obviously have no Contract of Sale for her...the pedigree & health of her parents are unknown as they are probably also unregistered, & untested, then you probably wont be able to afford all the vet expenses in the future. Important that you get her insured BEFORE she gets diagnosed with some condition as they will not cover her for pre-existing conditions. Please don't take my comments as being nasty, it is only offered as a bit of advise. Twenty years ago we bought 2 BC pups from a BYB. Back then we didn't know any better & certainly didn't have the benefit of the internet & forums such as this to gather information from. We certainly loved those two dogs & they lived till they were 13 years old.....but I swear...we paid out so much in vet bills that I am sure our two pups paid for the extensions to the vet hospital. :(

Guest donatella

If it were my pup, the first thing I would be doing would be to take out Health Insurance for her. If you could not afford to buy a good pup from a proper breeder that does all the health tests, & you obviously have no Contract of Sale for her...the pedigree & health of her parents are unknown as they are probably also unregistered, & untested, then you probably wont be able to afford all the vet expenses in the future. Important that you get her insured BEFORE she gets diagnosed with some condition as they will not cover her for pre-existing conditions. Please don't take my comments as being nasty, it is only offered as a bit of advise. Twenty years ago we bought 2 BC pups from a BYB. Back then we didn't know any better & certainly didn't have the benefit of the internet & forums such as this to gather information from. We certainly loved those two dogs & they lived till they were 13 years old.....but I swear...we paid out so much in vet bills that I am sure our two pups paid for the extensions to the vet hospital. :(

100% agree re the health insurance! I pay $7 a week and she's covered for all accidents, emergencies and illnesses she's diagnosed from here on in (she currently has no ailments). Might be a piece of mind for you B, puppies get into thing, chew things, break bones and we don't know the future.

Having read through this post I wish the pup well since it is here on this earth due to some random and I have to say irresponsible breeding from it's parents owners.

I think any STB breeder would be able to confirm it is not a purebred dog, that doesn't matter now, as you can't wind back the clock. You have bought the dog, she is your resposibility and I hope you take that responsibility seriously in both sickness and in health. See to the dogs need, take good advice, care for her, train her and keep her safe. :)

Good luck with your new puppy.