New Staffy Puppy This Weekend

--B--

You only have to look at the absolute heartbreak in the Sick Border Collie Puppy thread to see what can happen when breeders don't do the correct health testing. This poor family have had their lives turned upside down because this "breeder" didn't do the right thing, and probably didn't even know what the right thing to do was since they bred without proper research and education.

Please ensure that the breeder of this pup is registered with the ANKC, does all the appropriate health testing on their dogs before breeding them (and actually KNOWS what health testing is needed...), and that they provide you with a sales agreement which clearly states what backup they will provide to you if something goes wrong (in terms of refunds, etc).

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guy

thanks again for all the advice. i plan on having a thorough discussion with the breeder tomorrow to get all these issues cleared up

the puppy is not blue which i suppose is good news.

heres hoping all goes well tomorrow and i will have some cute pictures to show you all on monday!

thanks again for the advice and suggestions. its been a great help! hopefully my next thread here is in a happier note!!

well we picked up our gorgeous puppy on the weekend and despite the fact the breeder certainly wasnt the most professional around, the puppy has been given a clean bill of health from our vet and is off the weetbix and absolutely loving her pro plan. the first two nights she has been as quiet as a mouse too with only a few minutes of whimpering before settling down to sleep all through the night (or remaining quiet at least!)

so all in al we are very happy with our puppy.. her name is Sweep;. now im going to have to start reading the training and discipline threads so i can make sure she grows into a wel behaved dog!

pics will be posted shortly!

i asked about vaccinations and worming etc and she was all up to date with these. the vet agreed and said she was in good health

i havent yet gone down the DNA testing path and while i certianly appreciate the advice and can see its merits, i have no intention of breeding the puppy and my vet is well aware of the situation and did not suggest we need any further testing done. at present im happy to leave it at that and just have fun with my happy healthy puppy.

The point is that the parents should have been tested - you now don't know what their status is, and if there are problems waiting to arise in your pup. A vet check won't necessarily pick up on problems that aren't symptomatic yet.

I hope she stays healthy and isn't a time bomb waiting to happen, as happened recently to poor Owey and family.

AFFECTED with L-2-HGA: the dog has two copies of the L-2-HGA mutation and is affected with L-2-HGA. It will develop L-2-HGA at some stage during its lifetime, assuming it lives to an appropriate age.

L-2-HGA affects the central nervous system, with clinical signs usually apparent between 6 months and one year (although they can appear later). Symptoms include epileptic seizures, "wobbly" gait, tremors, muscle stiffness as a result of exercise or excitement and altered behaviour.

* the above taken from the website that Rebanne posted (if you'd read it - it's there in plain English).

I feel you're not listening to anything anyone is telling you - this isn't just something minor.

Edited by Aziah

i was genuinely hoping someone could answer my quite simple question

what would happen to the puppies if the tests came back and identified the parents as carrier/affected?

so what do you think would happen to the puppies Rebanne?

I don't breed Staffordshire Bull Terriers, I gave you a club website that said what happens to the dogs if they are affected cause you said you don't know about the diseases.

i was genuinely hoping someone could answer my quite simple question

what would happen to the puppies if the tests came back and identified the parents as carrier/affected?

you pup could be affected or a carrier, so it could be blind at an early age or dead at even a younger age.

my apologies for the confusion.. to clarify, i didnt mean what would happen in terms of symptoms (though i appreciate the link)

i meant, what would happen if i didnt take the pup?

my apologies for the confusion.. to clarify, i didnt mean what would happen in terms of symptoms (though i appreciate the link)

i meant, what would happen if i didnt take the pup?

the so called breeders would most likely sell it to some other person. If you are talking about after you have the pup tested and it comes back as affected well you are in a spot of bother. I'd be taking her back now and buying from properly health tested parents. Sure you are fond of her already but are you ready to deal with a blind and/or sick dog?

But you already have collected the pup and as the breeder hasn't bothered to health test who knows what you would get back in the way of a refund etc.

Or you may be one of the lucky ones and your pup will remain healthy and happy.

Edited by Rebanne

fair enough

it appears to me the pup would either be taken by some other unwitting buyer or be put down

essentially it would seem this entire conversation is based around me saving/losing money as it certainly will not help the puppy,, and if that is the case then i will certainly not lose sleep over my decision even if it means i lose some of my hard earned dollars (and no doubt a few tears) over it.

Or you may be one of the lucky ones and your pup will remain healthy and happy.

]

well i hope so

and im sure you do not mean do this to however the implication that its a long shot is a bit strange

Why don't you just contact the breeder & ask them what DNA tests have been done on the parents, then if they have been tested & they are clear then you will be able to sleep better. Did you sight the ANKC Mains register papers of the parents & is your pup coming with ANKC Limited Registration papers ????? Did you get a receipt & sign a purchase contract, as advised ??? A lot of good advice was given to you before you got the pup, lets hope some of it stuck :) If the breeder has dogs that have not been DNA tested then they should never have bred a litter in the first place.

Edited by sheena