Vaccination Issues

Hi everyone

I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this before. My puppies were vaccinated when they were 2 days shy of 8 weeks and were given a C3. That was 10 days ago.

One of the puppies seemed to have quite a bad reaction to the vaccination, very lethargic and got a slight fever. I cooled her down and kept an eye on her and she was mostly back to normal within about 3 hours. She has been picky at food, lost a little bit of weight but not thin but has now got awful tear staining on her eyes. Her sister has a little bit but nowhere near as bad as the puppy that had the reaction.

She is eating well now (natural diet) and very active so nothing outwardly wrong with her but I think her immune system has taken a bit of a hit. Any suggestions how I can give her immune system a boost??

Thanks

Edited by Clemevi

Hi Clemevi, Bruno was quite sick after his puppy C3 at 12 weeks.

He was very lethargic and off his food for a couple of days. He had bloody diahorrea too, that may have been a separate issue though. I hope others can offer some good suggestions. :)

You need to ask around a lot of breeders in your breed and see if this has been an issue in related puppies. In Border Collies they used to call this vaccinosis but when it happened in some very closely related litters one breeder had it investigated and diagnosed as Trapped Neutrophil Syndrome or TNS, a hereditary faulty immune system. It took 20 years for us to work out it was actually a breed wide problem and then get a DNA test developed which, when applied to the old blood samples proved that the puppies with the bad reaction to the vaccinations had in fact been TNS puppies. We also discovered about 20% of the breed worldwide carried the gene with pedigree links going back over a century.

This type of faulty immune system is very common in many species so similar things must also occur in other dog breeds but you will not find out if breeders do not look for them. TNS was hard to diagnose because the puppies were prone to various infections, all with their own symptoms as well as vaccination reactions. TNS can vary in how much or little immune system a puppy has but it is always fatal eventually. We have heard similar problems in other breeds discussed but no one seems to want to investigate them.

There is currently a discussion on the puppy thread here titled "Sick Border Collie Pup Possible Neosporosis" that is about a puppy that is highly likely to be a TNS puppy. He has had a very nasty infection but others have had a lot less severe initial symptoms.

When I had my mini schnauzer vaccinated at approximately 16 weeks old (many years ago) he had a very bad reaction to the vaccination. His problems went on for around a week, and if I remember correctly, he was being monitored by the vet daily. He had one more vaccination taking an antihistamine beforehand and still had slight problems. From then on, I stopped vaccinating him but had his titres taken annually. He always showed he had immunity. My current puppy had his vaccinations done in two parts over a month and he was OK.

Thanks for the responses, it certainly wasn't a life threatening reaction but noticable. I don't believe its a breed thing but a one off with this puppy.

I have done a few more searches on the boards regarding immunity and think I have a few things to try.

Thanks

When Cooper had his second vacination he developed a minor reaction too. My vet notifed Virbac and Animal Health (not sure of the name but I have the letters from them somewhere if you need that info). I didn't do his last vac and titered him instead (levels fine). He was also the only one from his litter to have a problem.

I gave him probiotics and then used homeopathic Sulpher, Thuja and Nuc Vomica if you are open to that?

Edited by bianca.a

There is information out there on boosting the system pre and post vaccination - but I am blowed if I know where it is. I would consider contacting Robert McDowall in Sydney. You probably need to boost up the pup before his next vac, and also boost him against some of the bad things which vaccines can cause.

Catherine O'Driscoll - USA vet and naturopath has some information on her website. Or - did have

There is information out there on boosting the system pre and post vaccination - but I am blowed if I know where it is. I would consider contacting Robert McDowall in Sydney. You probably need to boost up the pup before his next vac, and also boost him against some of the bad things which vaccines can cause.

Catherine O'Driscoll - USA vet and naturopath has some information on her website. Or - did have

Thanks Jed :)

I have used Robert's stuff before, have just gotten off his website!! :thumbsup: