An Opinion Article On Dogs From Adelaide Advertiser

sausy.dog

I hate this woman's articles and this one has just put the icing on the cake. Not that I totally disagree, more her tone and lack of empathy I find irritating. Personally I would rather a well behaved dog sitting quietly nearby than badly behaved children, and some of the things they do I find more stomach turning (and I do have kids).

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opinion/pets-are-fantastic-companions-but-they-are-not-people/story-e6freabc-1226423764987

Pets are fantastic companions but they are not people

THERE'S a line pet lovers should not cross when it comes to dining in public places, says Rebekah Devlin.

----------

BRUNCH is my favourite meal. It somehow feels a little more refined than lunch. With the luxury of time, I flick through the weekend papers, and hopefully find some much-needed sun in the winter cold. It's my weekly treat.

Here I was, just about to tuck into my eggs benny when a couple sat down at the table next door. She had their pet pug positioned on her left knee while she scanned the menu.

A little put off, I kept watching, thinking surely once her meal was served the dog would leave the table.

But when her salmon arrived the pug stayed.

She simply held on to the overweight dog with her left hand and ate with her right.

This meant cutting things with her fork and generally displaying manners most kids would be told off for.

The dog was sniffing madly at the food that was literally inches away from its cute little nose. How is this socially acceptable? And surely she was making the restaurant break an entire book of hygiene laws? What about the person who next dined at that table?

Pets are fantastic companions, particularly for the elderly, ill or the lonely. They are best friends and confidants. However, they are not people.

They are not capable of the human emotions we project on to them.

We feed them with treats and scraps off our tables until they explode because we think they will be "upset" and "think we don't love them any more" if we don't. As humans, we need to show some restraint.

A fat dog is not the sign of a loved dog, but an irresponsible and weak owner. We don't let our kids overeat, so why do we let our canine friends do this, and then excuse it as kindness?

A dog will keep eating until it vomits, then it will eat that, too. Enough said.

They won't take it personally if we kick them off the "good chair" or stop them from sleeping with us at night. And if they do sulk, they'll get over it.

I'm not a dog hater. I grew up with Ellie, a precious (but decidedly naughty) golden labrador who was a treasured part of the family.

But Ellie slept outside in a comfortable bed and certainly did not have her own seat at the kitchen table.

My grandparents inherited a fluffy white poodle in their golden years.

Every time we had a barbecue, Benje would get a cut-up sausage. However, this one day I was a little peckish and decided a final snag would do the job nicely. As I drove my fork into the last sausage, my grandfather swiftly plunged his own fork in, declaring: "That's Benje's sausage".

"Yeah, but I'm still hungry," I explained, a little miffed.

"I'll cook you another one."

"But there's a sausage sitting right there."

"No, that's Benje's."

"Well, why can't the dog wait while you cook another one?"

"No, he always gets a sausage when we've finished eating. We've all finished eating."

"I haven't."

And so I sat there while the dog ate its sausage and my grandfather cooked me one. Fair to say, things were a little strained for the rest of the day. Love your pet, but love it in an appropriate way. They should not be substitutes for real, human relationships. And so, these are my pet pet-owner hates. People who:

LET their dogs lick their faces ... you do realise dogs wash their backsides with that same tongue don't you?

DRESS up their dogs in zany outfits.

ARE immune to the "dog smell" of their houses. Open the windows once in a while and, for goodness sake, vacuum up the pet hair on every seat in the house. I don't want to look like I've been attacked by a yeti after a visit.

NOT only talk to their dogs (this is OK) but then give answers for them using a funny voice.

DRIVE with dogs on their laps.

DON'T pick up their dog's poo ... the worst of the lot.

Puppy love is one thing, but for goodness sake, let the canine live a dog's life.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very negative, whiny tone to the whole article.

I agree with the list at the end, broadly speaking. But if someone wants a 2 way conversation with their dog, I can't see any harm in that. If it makes you happy, go for it.

But honestly she is still upset about her grandpa feeding his pet dog a sausage?! At his own BBQ?

Seriously?

This is newsworthy?

Edited by Zug Zug

http://www.dogandcatboard.com.au/

Probably what is news - following the mauling of the SWF by a ridgeback x mastiff (aka big brown dog) at Flinders Park the other day, is that the Dog and Cat management board are reviewing the dangerous dog laws.

The guy in charge (I think his name was Ben something) - is not in favour of banning specific breeds because that would not have saved the Maltese's life. He's more in favour of implementing rules that would prevent that kind of attack by any dog and make the owners more responsible.

Which is a relief given the stupidity going on in Victoria.

I can't find anything on the net about it, but I heard an inteview on afternoon radio on ABC 891 Adelaide.

Lots of local councils in SA are also reviewing their dog and cat management plans. The mitcham one in particular contains rules and plans I've never previously heard of - like we're supposed to carry at least one dog poo pickup bag (Charles Sturt - it's two per dog), and they are supposed to host a dog day out - like Charles Sturt has done. Grr. Mitcham - all words and no action.

Sounds like she still hasn't gotten over not getting that last sausage! :rofl: While I agree with a couple of things in the article (like driving with the dog on your lap and the picking up of poop), this woman needs to shut it and stop complaining! The article doesn't qualify as news in my eyes.

91b062a1.jpg

Yep, that's how it is here.

Definitely not a news article it is just an opinion piece. She is an opinionated PITA but if you read the comments there are a lot that agree with her! A lot disagree to I might add.

Well colour me in the minority but I think the author has a point.

Inappropriate management of dogs is a royal pain in the @rse for a lot of people, including some dog owners.

Frankly if more people accepted that not everyone in the world will love their dog, dog owners generally probably would profit. We wouldn't have so many regulations imposed on us because some dog owners can't or wont' do the right thing.

She is bang on the money about fat dogs too. They are EVERYWHERE.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Guest Arcane

Well colour me in the minority but I think the author has a point.

Inappropriate management of dogs is a royal pain in the @rse for a lot of people, including some dog owners.

Frankly if more people accepted that not everyone in the world will love their dog, dog owners generally probably would profit. We wouldn't have so many regulations imposed on us because some dog owners can't or wont' do the right thing.

She is bang on the money about fat dogs too. They are EVERYWHERE.

+1 ..... you're in a minority of at least 2!

I'm with you PF- I don't really see a problem with the piece, there's a lot of sense in what she says, and I found myself nodding my head at most of it. I didn't even find it particularly rude, just straight up. :shrug:

I don't see what her problem is. Just look the other way and then she wouldn't be offended by the table manners of the person with the pug? And butt out of other people's pet keeping?

I wouldn't eat with my dogs on my lap either, and they don't sleep in our bed, but I have no issues at all with people who choose to allow that. It's none of my business and it's not hurting anyone.

I don't see what her problem is. Just look the other way and then she wouldn't be offended by the table manners of the person with the pug? And butt out of other people's pet keeping?

I wouldn't eat with my dogs on my lap either, and they don't sleep in our bed, but I have no issues at all with people who choose to allow that. It's none of my business and it's not hurting anyone.

That's what I didn't like about it. Since when did she become the authority on how to treat pets?

I don't dress my dogs up ior make up voices for them or many of the things she listed at all, but if it isn't hurting the animal, then how has it go anything to do with her?

She sounds like she just wants something to bitch about.

While I don't support all her points, I do agree with her point about dogs at cafes.

We visited Adelaide few weeks ago, staying at Glenelg and went for a couple of walks along Jetty Rd. We were shocked by the number of dogs (ALL little) that were on owners laps while eating. We even saw a Jack Russell on male owner's lap while sitting on lounge outside a hotel drinking. Not to mention same man & dog at cafe next morning eating together.

Think next time we'll take our GSD and see what reaction that gets - not that I think my lap or plate of food will be big enough! :laugh:

She does have some good points but they get lost in all the other drivel. :mad

How on Earth is it unhygenic for a table next to someone with a dog on their lap. Why does it bother people if there are some who want to eat one handed whilst holding onto a dog in their lap. It's not the kind of thing i would do (i'd be flattened for a start) but surely if the dogs are on a person's lap then they cannot be bothering anyone else, unless they are yapping.

Seriously people need to stop forcing their own bloody prejudices down other peoples throats.

And HugL, I really can't see what your problem with people holding their dogs is. How, exactly does it affect you?

There is a big difference between talking to your dog in a baby voice (guilty) and not picking up poo though.

If someone wants to dress their dogs in a silly outfit that is their prerogative. It isn't my style but I couldn't care less (unless they are putting them in clothes on hot days). If someone wants to give their dog a sausage off the BBQ that is their call too.

All I care about is that they are treated well, get regularly exercised, obey leash laws and pick up after them. She didn't really seem to care about the stuff that actually matters.

teekay, lighten up! I was trying for a mental image of a GSD on the lap of a petite female. (Sorry I couldn't find any pictures)

We live in the country surrounded by farm dogs and haven't seen this before. I am also sick of the prejudice against any dog bigger than a DD and judging from your photos, maybe you understand?

I read the articleand thought her loss not being able to understand how true dog owners share their lives with their pets not just bun em out in the yard and throw food at them.

Plenty of people have drooling kids on their laps, or put them up on counters etc etc is an article going to be written up on that