Please Help Me Choose My First Dslr

Lollipup

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my 7D body from DWI (grey market) and it came with an Aussie plug/adapter for the charger and an English guide. Make sure you buy a memory card as well as they don't come as standard.

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp#

Good luck with whatever you choose and I look forward to seeing some of your photos :)

Thanks, I can't wait!!! I definitely want the D7000 so I just need to save a bit more money to do it but I think it will be worth the extra wait in the long run. Our five year wedding anniversary is coming up so maybe I can convince hubby for a pressy hehe

I have a spare 16G SD card from something else I'm not using so will start out with that :)

Do you recommend buying a spare battery straight up? I am having to factor in the extra cost for things like that and a camera bag and it really puts the price up.

Does it use SD or CF cards? I have never needed a second battery yet, but I wouldn't be shooting as much in one day as some do.

It uses SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards

I suppose I could always order a second battery later on if I found I needed one. I am just comparing it to the package deal for the D5100 which comes with a second battery, a Loewpro bag, 3 lenses and 3 years aus warranty.

I don't think you can really compare the D7000 to the who set up of the other camera, they are really in different leagues.

I don't think there is a need for an extra battery right off the bat unless you plan on shooting non stop for a while, Battery can always be charged up over night.

I think by memory the D7000 has two memory card slots which would be handy depending on how your shooting, (Raw to one card, Jpeg to another etc) I think you have the option to set it up however you like.

As far as memory cards to the higher the class the better with these sort of camera, otherwise there can be buffering/writing issues which is a pain in the butt.

A little OT but for anyone reading here what class memory cards do you use?

CC what sort of CF do you use in your 7D, I have to buy new memory (CF) when I get the 7D as all my other cameras have used SD cards, I recently bought 2 class 10 SanDisk Extreme SD cards from Costco for $54 for the two of them, Dick Smith has one for the same price.

Edited by tlc

I just dug out my SD card, its a 16GB SanDisk and is 30MB/s class 6. Is that good?

I really want to get ones of those 35mm or 50mm but I don't think I should get both straight up. For dog shots would you say start with the 50mm?

Also since I am getting the D7000 with the autofocus motor, does that mean I have to get 1.8D or can I still use 1.8G?

ETA: I do love the 50mm thread photos but how far back do you need to be? Would the 35mm be better for closer up shots and get the same results? Is the 50mm more versatile because you can get further back?

Edited by Lollipup

Seriously, I cannot believe the amount of people that don't get told this in stores.

Ive found half the sales people you come across say complete and utter rubbish.

When my hubby bought me the 7D the guy told him how it would be a great entry level camera etc. Yeah right hubby rarely gets a decent shot out of it on auto, and I used the 350D for 5 years and it still took me a good few months to get my head around the 7D :laugh:

If I buy a grey import will it come with Australian adaptors and everything in english if it comes from Hong Kong? I'm looking at this kit from e-global and then buying the 35mm and/or 50mm separately

http://www.eglobaldi...slr-camera.html

My camera and lenses came from eglobal a bit over a year ago and everything was in English and the charger is an Australian 1. Service was excellent and very quick. If I recall it was hear in about 3 days from ordering. My Dad ended up getting his gear from them as well and also had no issues.

I would suggest though that if the total is over $1000AUD you are either prepared to pay the duty or else order in 2 lots (I waited with my lens until my camera had shipped just to be sure they wouldnt come through together) and pay that bit extra in postage. Even paying 2 lots of postage it is still a huge saving over buying locally.

Does it use SD or CF cards? I have never needed a second battery yet, but I wouldn't be shooting as much in one day as some do.

It uses SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards

I suppose I could always order a second battery later on if I found I needed one. I am just comparing it to the package deal for the D5100 which comes with a second battery, a Loewpro bag, 3 lenses and 3 years aus warranty.

I bought my second battery from ebay - after market and much cheaper. It does not have as long a life as the original battery, maybe only 2/3 however it is great to have charged as a back up in my camera bag. I have probably only needed to change batteries while I am out 2 or 3 times and that was because I hadn't bothered to check the battery charge when planning to go out.

If I buy a grey import will it come with Australian adaptors and everything in english if it comes from Hong Kong? I'm looking at this kit from e-global and then buying the 35mm and/or 50mm separately

http://www.eglobaldi...slr-camera.html

My camera and lenses came from eglobal a bit over a year ago and everything was in English and the charger is an Australian 1. Service was excellent and very quick. If I recall it was hear in about 3 days from ordering. My Dad ended up getting his gear from them as well and also had no issues.

I would suggest though that if the total is over $1000AUD you are either prepared to pay the duty or else order in 2 lots (I waited with my lens until my camera had shipped just to be sure they wouldnt come through together) and pay that bit extra in postage. Even paying 2 lots of postage it is still a huge saving over buying locally.

If I'm allowing for duty, is it just 10% GST or is there another tax? I'm comparing to Camerapro and it works out only a couple hundred more to get from there so it depends on what the taxes would be. Shipping is pretty high from eglobal too.

If you can get it locally for not much more, I would probably do that. When I got my camera I happened to be after a model I couldn't buy anywhere in Australia.

I dont think you will find grey imports of Nikons that much cheaper than locally. I just tried to find the info but I remember reading that Nikon had lowered the price for Australia so grey imports do not work out significantly cheaper now.

ETA: here we go, this was from the jb hifi webpage and I posted it a couple of months ago

"Nikon Australia has recently repositioned its local pricing on the full range of Digital SLR Cameras. Due to the dramatic local price reduction and the inclusion of a 2 year fully supported local Nikon manufacturer's warranty JB Hi-Fi has decided to suspend its Direct import service for Nikon Cameras. We congratulate Nikon Australia for working hard to deliver global pricing competitiveness for Australian consumers. "

Edited by piper

If you can get it locally for not much more, I would probably do that. When I got my camera I happened to be after a model I couldn't buy anywhere in Australia.

I dont think you will find grey imports of Nikons that much cheaper than locally. I just tried to find the info but I remember reading that Nikon had lowered the price for Australia so grey imports do not work out significantly cheaper now.

ETA: here we go, this was from the jb hifi webpage and I posted it a couple of months ago

"Nikon Australia has recently repositioned its local pricing on the full range of Digital SLR Cameras. Due to the dramatic local price reduction and the inclusion of a 2 year fully supported local Nikon manufacturer's warranty JB Hi-Fi has decided to suspend its Direct import service for Nikon Cameras. We congratulate Nikon Australia for working hard to deliver global pricing competitiveness for Australian consumers. "

That's pretty impressive that they have lowered prices when everything is going up in price everywhere, I will have to check out JB's price online too, thanks :)

Lollipup, I got the Nikon D7000 in March and just love it. I was using the D80 prior. I bought mine from DWI and although the order was over $1000, I didn't pay any GST etc.

Thanks Gapvic, I noticed you had one in some other threads. Do you have a link to some photos you have taken with it?

I guess the tax just depends on whether customs picks it up but I'd feel better factoring it in just in case. Did you find their service good? What lenses do you use?