Amy Has Passed & Is At Peace

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry Sidoney :rofl:

I'm sure you have so many beautiful memories, may the ones you create with the time left be beautiful and tender.

Sending you lots of love and strength to get through this difficult and heart breaking time.

Love

Riley

Sidoney,

How upset you must be.

Remember to love her the most when she is telling you, she must go and leave you behind.

It is so difficult for us to know when it time to let them go.

Most dogs seem to handle pain well. Often it is up to us to make the decision.

I wish we could help you both more.

Edited by Lablover

Amy is under ongoing vet care ... she is an "outpatient". We've been twice today for meds and a checkup. Back again tomorrow morning.

Basically she's with us for a short time and not a long time. Quality of life will be the decider. There is some fluid building up in her abdomen :rofl: which is not good.

It's hard and my eyes are perpetually red from crying but at least I know she's had a good life and had her full life, not being taken early. Not a "tragedy" like some of my friends have had, with their dogs being taken young.

While she enjoys her eating and affection and pottering around I'll treasure every moment. And I'll make it easy for her when it's time. Of course I am crying just writing this but I am not one of those who would want her to hang on regardless. She'll let me know when it's time to go. And I have her daughter and granddaughter to love, and one day her great granddaughter, and so on down the generations.

My god! Im so sorry dont really have anything to say that hasnt already be said, but she has had a very good quality of life and she and you are now better individuals for having each other

Deepest sympathies your in our thoughts :rofl:

Edited by tollersowned

In the wider scheme of things, it's something that every responsible pet owner faces at some time. All people here have either been where I am now, or will be. In a way I am lucky that I have had her full lifetime with her, as I said previously, too often they are taken early. I am thankful that this is not so now. It's heartrending, but balanced against it is the many many years of love and companionship that we have with our animals, and that I have had with Amy.

For this time, I will work from home as much as possible, and I will just be with her and also sleep with her. She is looking at me as I write, from her comfy crate, and I won't leave her.

Karen Hedberg and all her staff were wonderful on Friday and allowed me to just be with Amy for the whole day while she was in hospital, on the drip etc. That was from about 10 to about 6. Amy doesn't cope well with being left. My husband picked up my son in the afternoon and I did not attend a meeting that I might have otherwise. I'm lucky that I was able to rearrange my day. I'll continue to rearrange for as long as I have to.

Oh Sidoney now I am crying you and Amy can share Rileys poem, please do't be too sad, she will always be with you remember the good times.

I was standing on a hillside in a field of flowing wheat

And the spirit of a Hungarian Vizsla was lying at my feet

She looked at me with kind dark eyes ancient wisdom shining through

And in the essance of her being her love shone clear and through

Her mind did lock upon my heart as I stood there that day

And She told me of this story of a place so far away

Her tale did put my heart at ease my fears did fade away

About what lay ahead of me on a distant day

I live among gods creatures now in the heavens of your mind

So do not grieve for me my friend as I am with my kind

My collar is a rainbow hue my leash a shooting star

My boundries are the milky way where I sparkle from afar

There are no pens or kennels here and I am not confined

But free to roam gods heaven's among my shepherd kind

I nap the day on a snowy cloud gentle breezes rocking me

And dream dreams of earth and how it used to be

The trees are full of liver treats and tennis balls abound

And milk bones line the walkways just waiting to be found

And even is a ring set up the grass all lush and green

And everyone who gaits around becomes best of breed

For we are all winners in this place we have no faults you see

And god passes out those ribbons to each one even me

I drink from waters laced with gold my world a beauty to behold

And wise old dogs do form my pride to amble at my side

At night I sleep in angels arms her wings protecting me

And moonbeams dance about us as stardust falls on thee

So when your life on earth is spent and you stand at heavens gate

Have no fear of lonliness for here you know I wait.

My thoughts are with you, i cannot begin to imagine having to go through this one day with my dog.

Karen Hedberg is brilliant and i dont think there is many people who would say otherwise.. Its good to know she is in good hands and is loved so much, the love on its own is enough to make the time she has left as comfortable as possible..

My thoughts are with you...

Karen

Amy visited the vet twice on Saturday (am and pm) for medications.

Last night she began to have some discomfort, panting with lips pulled back. I called Karen who suggested Buscopan. That did help and she spent most of the night sleeping peacefully. I was on the floor next to her and gave her more Buscopan as needed.

This morning she woke up bright and active and alert and we had lots of lovely cuddles and pats and treats and just spent time together. Last night I had thought today would be the day but this morning I was not so sure. However at about half past ten she started panting again. I gave her more Buscopan which settled her but I knew it was time.

We drove up to North Richmond, stopping on the way at Deerubbin Park so she could have a potter around, which she enjoyed a lot.

We played "find the liver treat" games while in the vet. Karen and I agreed it was time. I took her back out to the car and fed her more liver treats while Karen gave her the injection. She barely even noticed it. One moment she was gobbling liver treats, the next her head dropped and she was gone.

It was an agonising moment for me, but I know it was the right thing to do, and in some ways I am more at peace now that it has happened and I know it was right, more at peace now that I don't any longer have that awful responsibility to make the choice still hanging over me.

She has been buried in the green-dappled shade in our small orchard.

Amy lived a long and loved life. Her illness was short and her death was painless and in the company of someone that she loved, and who loved (and still loves) her. I feel very lucky to have had the time with her that I did, and especially to have this wonderful morning with her, which I will remember always.

Amy has left us but we still have her daughter Shaula and her granddaughter Cedar, and one day we will have her great granddaughter, and the line will go on. She will also be remembered in my prefix "Vizamy" (Vizsla/Amy). If you ever meet a Vizamy Vizsla you will know that Amy is a part of it.

RIP Amy: Ch Hanafor Simply Amelia CDX ET

I took some photos of Amy today and will post one when I have downloaded it onto the computer.

At some stage over the next few days I'll post more regarding Amy and her life onto the rainbow bridge forum.

Thank you everyone for all your good wishes and support over the last few days. You have helped me through a very difficult time.

Edited by sidoney

Amy lived a long and loved life. Her illness was short and her death was painless and in the company of someone that she loved, and who loved (and still loves) her. I feel very lucky to have had the time with her that I did, and especially to have this wonderful morning with her, which I will remember always.

So sorry to hear of your loss.....

Amy has lived and died in the best way: loved, cared for and protected.... So glad that you got to spend this last time with her.

Take care of your self.... find comfort in the love of your family and the warmth of your other dogs...

Best wishes,

Dan :mad:laugh: