Acreage Fencing Ideas

Winterpaws

We've just bought 5 acres, yay! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It has fantastic fencing for the horses but unfortunately no house yard around the house and I'm trying to work out the best way to go.

Just wondering if anyone could share pics of their house yards. I'm finding it hard to visualize all the different options and weigh them up against the costs.

I'd like to do the entire property in something like Stiff Stay or Stocksafe T .

Short term we are thinking of doing the house yard in the Stocksafe with steel posts until we settle in and work out where we really want to put the fencing. The dogs would only be out there whilst we are at home and when we go out they can go into the office which is a big area inside the shed. We could also possibly build dog runs, but my guys are so used to being indoors they would be horrified at being in a run :laugh:

Also what height do you have on your house yard? I want to keep the dogs contained, but I don't want it to feel like a gaol!

Edited by Winterpaws

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've found the best way to stop horses pushing against fences AND to keep feral dogs out is a judiciously strung system of electric fencing to back up the physical fencing - no matter what sort you choose.

Of course, that means your dogs tend to stay IN too. :)

We've just bought 5 acres, yay! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It has fantastic fencing for the horses but unfortunately no house yard around the house and I'm trying to work out the best way to go.

Just wondering if anyone could share pics of their house yards. I'm finding it hard to visualize all the different options and weigh them up against the costs.

I'd like to do the entire property in something like Stiff Stay or Stocksafe T .

Short term we are thinking of doing the house yard in the Stocksafe with steel posts until we settle in and work out where we really want to put the fencing. The dogs would only be out there whilst we are at home and when we go out they can go into the office which is a big area inside the shed. We could also possibly build dog runs, but my guys are so used to being indoors they would be horrified at being in a run :laugh:

Also what height do you have on your house yard? I want to keep the dogs contained, but I don't want it to feel like a gaol!

My parents are on 5 acres which is mostly sheep fenced, but they have an area deer fenced around the side of the house for the dogs to stay in when they have guests etc.

We have 6ft roll top (kind of like schoolyard or pool fencing) it's cemented at the bottom. I have a pic somewhere and one side is colourbond and the other is a 3 layered cyclone wire/chain link and dog wire mix with 6ft high dug in 2 ft at the base.

Forgot to add, that does half an acre roughly and if you know your dogs you may not have to go so "alcatraz' but we get lots of foster dogs and a few rescued now and then so we have to be careful.

Edited by mixeduppup

Congrats on the purchase!!!

I have chicken wire with a couple of strands of wire and then a pine post on the top. The chicken wire has got a big saggy so not sure if I would use that again. I didn't want dog mesh though as the garden backs on to the pony paddocks.

post-10280-0-74942200-1342349100_thumb.jpg

Edited by JulesP

This is a really bad photo but the only one i could find on my computer that showed even a portion of what our yard fence looks like.

post-15010-0-56075400-1342349855_thumb.jpg

The posts are old railway sleepers with one top rail then the tin sheeting and two bottom rails. We have 20 acres so only our house yard has this fence. When we moved here it was some very dodgy mesh that was falling down. Was useless.

We have this...ignore the dogs, but best close-up of our fence. You can also get higher mesh, which i call rabbit fencing

2255747340048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

It has kept in all our dogs, BC cross, newfies and Kelpeis...Also friends escaping labradors. because the top wire is electric. And some dogs have tried it....yelped and not tried it again. Our garden is 2 acres within our property. And we also have horses. We used to have mares and breed quarter horses, we found this fencing was very safe for foals....Horses can get their legs/feet caught up in ringlock and such.

The fact that we have used the electric fencing means our horses also do not lean on it and the dogs respect all fences now, even non-electric at friends places

Edited by newfsie

My folks recently did the road-edge, and around their dam, on 10 acres with this -

IMG_0507.jpg

I'm not sure how much it cost, but I don't think "small fortune" would be entirely inaccurate :o

Edited by Weasels

Here is a fence made with Stiff Stay.

The heavy gauge is much better than the light gauge.

The cost used to be $25/m and $125 per Stay (each side of corner) all finished by fence contractor.

post-3970-0-09892600-1342350726_thumb.jpg

Again, ignore the dogs.

Oh! The electric fence is extra. :D

We have 10 acres. The rest of the property is just 5 strand fencing with a stand off hot wire.

If starting from scratch, I'd do our house yard very differently.

First it was just the 5 strand around the house yard too, but then we got a pup who just slipped under the wire (understandably).

Then we added sheep mesh squares around the whole house yard too. That fixed the problem. He was too big to fit through by then.

Fast forward a few years, and Daphne, our whippet pup joined the family. She was small enough to fit through the squares on the sheep mesh. Sooooo, then we chicken wired the whole yard too!

So, if doing it all again, I'd just assume that one day we might need to contain a small pup/dog, and do it properly the first time.

Ours is 1.2m high. My dogs could easily jump it if they wanted too, but they're only out there when I'm home. When we're at work, they're in their runs.

The other tricky thing, can be the small gap between the fence post and gates, and under gates too.

Under our gates, we have a sleeper, laying on it's side. (We rarely drive through those gates, and the sleeper can just be dragged aside if we need to).

To stop them slipping through the gap, we have another piece of small squared mesh, that once the gate is shut, we can clip that in place too.

Hope that makes sense. Sorry, I don't think I have any photos of the fence.

Guest Willow

I can get you a pic tomorrow, but we just have "dog fencing" (like farm fencing but small guage at the bottom, larger at the top, it's about 1.2m high....plus star pickets :laugh: ....we really just needed a "suggestion of a boundary" for the dog, he wouldn't try to escape while we're home, and he's inside while were out anyway.

Here's the picture of the back portion, it's different from the rest. It's 6ft inc the wire across the top, it normally has an electrified wire as well but bugs got into the battery and it's broken currently. I'll take pics of the rest tomorrow.

P7110613.jpg

ETA: the dogs are only allowed up there whilst we're home as workmen are up the bag building stuff and ocassionally I've caught them trying to call my dogs through the fence *eyeroll*

Edited by mixeduppup

Going by everyones photos i seem to be the only one with an enclosed yard. :laugh:

You fence looks very nice indeed.

But I think part of the reason people move to acreage is so they don't feel like they live in a "box". A bit too suburban feeling for my liking. :)

Well done WP :thumbsup: we have cyclone mesh around the house yard, and ringlock / pigwire / dogwire around the rest of the acreage.

We have rolls of diamond mesh to put up around the dog runs when we can get to it.

I'd love deer fencing around the five acres for the dogs though.

fifi

Going by everyones photos i seem to be the only one with an enclosed yard. :laugh:

You fence looks very nice indeed.

But I think part of the reason people move to acreage is so they don't feel like they live in a "box". A bit too suburban feeling for my liking. :)

I know what you mean but i guess it doesn't feel boxy to us because our house is on stilts. :laugh:

We get privacy and we can still look out over the neighbours paddocks but it helps keep the dust down in our yard as in summer it gets very dry and dusty here.

I'm considering a very different option: GPS-based e-collar.

http://dogexpeditionsystems.com/

If you accept e-collar thinking, this looks like a great system . . . I love having a warning zone as well as an enforcement boundary. It's great that, unlike e-fence, you don't have to bury anything and you can move the boundaries around . . . set up new containment if you take the dogs on holiday. Also useful to be able to track your dogs when they are loose. The need to recharge batteries looks like a pain in the posterior, though.