Stinky Dog Yard

flame ryder

Yes, garden lime. Hardware stores should have it. Even Big W etc can often have it in their garden section.Yes, you can buy it in small bags and shouldn't be too expensive.

Edited by espinay2

Does the lime get rid of the smell of poop? my yard is concrete as far as the eye can see and there is a big patch of fake grass that joey goes to the toilet on. During summer it gets really stinky even though I pick up the poop every day. Just looking for a solution to the smell.

Can I just add that the lime will "sweeten" the soil and help to put the soil ph alkaline/acidity back in balance.

I would not recommend putting lime into a yard that is not able to be rested for a period of time (a month or so) though as it will not be good for your dogs paws.

Yeah it's not actually in the yard itself but where i hose it off. Thing is when they poo in their yard sometimes (ok most times) they flatten it and spread it all over the pavers like some sort of doggy artwork, it then becomes difficult to remove so I scrub and wash...as a result the surrounding soil has yukky poo smell. I bought lime today and spread it around the offending soil...hoping it will improve the smell.

Does the lime get rid of the smell of poop? my yard is concrete as far as the eye can see and there is a big patch of fake grass that joey goes to the toilet on. During summer it gets really stinky even though I pick up the poop every day. Just looking for a solution to the smell.

If it is fake grass can't you hang it on the line and hose it off? If too big for that then maybe Biozet dissolved in a bucket or buckets of water and scrubbed with a rubber broom then hosed off?

Try white vinegar. Sprinkle around, leave on for 5 or 10 minutes then hose.

Try white vinegar. Sprinkle around, leave on for 5 or 10 minutes then hose.

It is too big to hang on the line. I have tried to clean it using bleach and water, smell came back within a couple of days. Will try the vinegar next time.

You need to get the hydrolised lime. It is generally available from livestock produce stores. I believe the garden lime is different. (But could be wrong)

It is still drying by its nature. So you will either need to let it sit or water it in.

We have used it in the stables for years and it works to limit the smell.

You may need to look at some of your kennel disenfectants/odour neutraliser. I have read others swearing by certain brands to remove the smell.

I tryed the baking soda, didnt do much :(

I found an odour neutraliser called Natures Miracle for my paved areas, so this morning I splashed 'arofectant' (an disinfectant animal safe) and hot water first and scrubbed with a big broom, then I hosed it off and splashed the Natures Miracle around. I will let you know tommorrow if it helps!

I have done the lime on the lawn, it works quite well IMO.

Cleaning Fake Grass

We have fake grass squares that used to hold the smell of urine. I tried everything and eventually just started using washing powder. The smaller squares i soaked in the bath overnight but the larger ones, i just dissolved some powder in buckets of hot water and threw a few buckets over the area. Gave it about 15-30 mins and then hosed it off. Seemed to work for us. Didn't even use the "good" powders just the cheapest stuff i could buy.

I tryed the baking soda, didnt do much :(

I found an odour neutraliser called Natures Miracle for my paved areas, so this morning I splashed 'arofectant' (an disinfectant animal safe) and hot water first and scrubbed with a big broom, then I hosed it off and splashed the Natures Miracle around. I will let you know tommorrow if it helps!

I have done the lime on the lawn, it works quite well IMO.

So what is 'Natures miracle'? and where do you get it from? Where can I buy the Aerfectant? Are they both expensive?

On my paved area I make up a solution of the Wheelie Bin cleaner/disenfectant. Two caps to a bucket of water and just swish it over the smelly area after I have cleaned up the poo etc. I used a hard bristle broom and gave it a quick scrub while it was wet. Two weeks later and all I can smell is the cleaner.

Edited by Liath