Bloat

Ok so I have a deep chested dog and have always known about bloat but basically never really considered it to happen, you know the old tale it won't happen to me. I don't have a dog that eats super fast. Earlier tonight Oscar had his dinner, he did eat rather quickly, and soon after began almost vomiting, he then went outside ran around the yard trying to vomit and eating grass, he had never acted like this before so I was immediately concerned, I rang our closest emergency vet which is an hour away, she was great and while on the phone to her he came inside, which he wouldn't do before and she told me to keep a very close eye on him and bring him straight in if anything changed, he seems ok now and is sleeping.

SO: It was so ridiculously scary. I want to know what I can do to prevent bloat? How do others prevent bloat? He eats bones and actually had a lamb flap today, are bones ok? How long do you have until it can turn fatal?

Basically just looking for some proactive ways to make myself feel better at this point and any info from others who have either been through it or have breeds prone to it? I know I could do an internet search but really need someone to talk to me about it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know your fears. I get a bit paranoid about bloat so try and do what I can to prevent it. Kyojin eats quickly, but isn't a scoffer. If he was I'd get him a scoff stop bowl to slow his eating down. I don't allow him to eat an hour before or after exercise.

I love this website as the information is really clear and easy to read:

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

It's a bullet point list, so it's really easy to understand and gives you some tips on what you can do to try and reduce the chances of it occurring.

Is he uncomfortable now?? Any tension around his tumny??

If he is calm and resting you should be ok.

Any pacing whining grizzling??

Thanks for the response, he is now snoring next to me. He is calm and there is no tension in his stomach. To feel his stomach, should I be feeling between the ribs and back legs? He is my first dog and this behaviour was so ridiculously out of character, he has vomited before but this was crazy, it was the fact that he couldn't vomit that scared me.

As I said he is snoring fast asleep now so seems to be ok.

I know your fears. I get a bit paranoid about bloat so try and do what I can to prevent it. Kyojin eats quickly, but isn't a scoffer. If he was I'd get him a scoff stop bowl to slow his eating down. I don't allow him to eat an hour before or after exercise.

I love this website as the information is really clear and easy to read:

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

It's a bullet point list, so it's really easy to understand and gives you some tips on what you can do to try and reduce the chances of it occurring.

Thanks for this, when it was happening I googled it and that link came up, I was looking at the symptoms on it, great site. I just have a huge fear now, it really shook me up.

I thought it was interesting that you could give them something like Mylanta gas for any gas symptoms. I think I'll have to get some to keep in my pantry. It said you could try nutmeg too which is handy to know as I have heaps of that here.

How do his gums look? If he gets really restless I'd give the vet another call. It sounds like he's probably okay though if he's calm and sleeping well now though, but it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on him for a bit.

I keep activated charcoal on hand (and in the car)! Molly started bloating last year and it was an ER vet visit. She was uncomfortable and would flop down and then 10 seconds later get up and find another spot. Repeat, repeat. Her tummy felt a bit tight but not too bad. Her gums were fine and I called the vet to let them know I was coming. He said I could give it half an hour of monitoring her (I lived 5 mins away from the vet) but she seemed so pained I drove there straight away.

She had a huge vomit just as I pulled into the car park.

I believe the charcoal can give you a few minutes extra basically and also if it is just an upset tummy it will help.

I thought it was interesting that you could give them something like Mylanta gas for any gas symptoms. I think I'll have to get some to keep in my pantry. It said you could try nutmeg too which is handy to know as I have heaps of that here.

How do his gums look? If he gets really restless I'd give the vet another call. It sounds like he's probably okay though if he's calm and sleeping well now though, but it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on him for a bit.

Snap! :) Activated charcoal or de-gas works too :)

Snap! :) Activated charcoal or de-gas works too :)

Awesome, I'll keep these in mind.

It's good to hear he is sleeping :) Yup, down the throat. Although when Cooper had the worst gas from anesthesia, I would just smear a bit of peanut butter on it and he thought it was a treat!

I know in the US you can get dissolvable strips that you just put on the dog tongue but I haven't found those here.

Hoping Oscar has no more issues and no more scares for you.

I'm glad Oscar is ok. I keep some DeGas on hand just in case (it's available from supermarkets near the antacids etc. or from pharmacies).

As Minxy mentioned, one of the main things is to not let him exercise for an hour or so either side of a meal. I think there have been arguments for and against raised feeding bowls, and that dry food may be riskier than food that has been moistened. Some of the Great Dane websites go into depth about the different ideas.

Hopefully Oscar is all done with scaring you tonight. :)

I had the same problem last Friday night, Raspa was very unsettled wouldn't come inside the house, kept coughing, would lie down outside on the grass then a minute later was up and moving around, peed about 6 times in the space of 30 minutes, once tried to pee but nothing would come out. I googled her symptoms and she had nearly all the bloat symptoms so was about to take her to the emergency vets when she finally decided to come inside, jumped up on the lounge chair for pats and quick nap, noticed her stomach making a LOT of noises and remember the bloat symptoms said there would be a lack of stomach noises so that made me feel a lot better. Sat up with her for another couple of hours where she happily snored her lungs out.

So in the end, have no idea what was wrong but just really really thankful it wasn't bloat.

Having lost my GSD to bloat and then reading where you say your dog was "trying" to vomit rang immediate alarm bells for me. It's also called unproductive vomiting and is a definite sign of bloat, HOWEVER you also said he is now asleep (to lay on their side is extremely uncomfortable) so it's unlikely he's got bloat.

The symptoms my dog showed:-

*restless, walking around (unable to get comfortable)

*unproductive vomiting (gagging)

*panting (from pain)

*tight extended abdomen

If your dog shows these symptoms you ring your vet and tell them you're on your way - I didn't ask, because there's not time to discuss. Just get your dog in the car and get to the vet - because it may still be too late :cry:

Good to hear he is sleeping. If he had an uncomfortable tummy he would be restless.

I have had a 'bloat prone breed' for 30 yesrs abd never had a case. The rule have changed back and forth over that time too. I stick to the horsey colic prevention ones.

No food before or after running. Space drinking as well. Food they need to chew over gulping. I used to raise food then that rule changed!!! These days they eat lying down (relaxed) and several dogs along -all good

Unfortunately you can all the 'right'things and they still bloat. I have had 2 std poodles bloat and both survived...one only just. Both girls also had torsion or GDV

I won't muck around giving mylanta or degas tabs...I would b straight to the vet.

Unfortunately you can all the 'right'things and they still bloat. I have had 2 std poodles bloat and both survived...one only just. Both girls also had torsion or GDV

I won't muck around giving mylanta or degas tabs...I would b straight to the vet.

To clarify, I think the idea of DeGas is to give it asap and get straight to a vet.

I agree - getting to the vet as quickly (and safely) as you can is the most important thing you can do

To clarify, I think the idea of DeGas is to give it asap and get straight to a vet.

Yes, this is what I would be doing with it.