Bloat

Guest english.ivy

I feed my Pointer on a raised level. Should I not do that? He is never taken out within an hour of eating and I never go outside and play within an hour. They all get excited when I go outside but if I'm inside, they all stand and look in the window.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed my Pointer on a raised level. Should I not do that? He is never taken out within an hour of eating and I never go outside and play within an hour. They all get excited when I go outside but if I'm inside, they all stand and look in the window.

I've read that elevated food bowls are worse, but then I've seen elevated bowls specifically advertising that they are better for reducing bloat so I'm a bit confused. I decided I felt better not using one, but I really don't know what the right answer is.

Guest english.ivy

I've read that elevated food bowls are worse, but then I've seen elevated bowls specifically advertising that they are better for reducing bloat so I'm a bit confused. I decided I felt better not using one, but I really don't know what the right answer is.

Hmm might do some research tomorrow. He has his bowl on an upturned milk crate.

Sadly there is not set rules when it comes to bloat, what works for one doesn't always for another.

Some say it happens when you feed dry food, raised feeder, running after eating..

Others say it's because a dog stresses or is nervy or had a mating the list is endless.

The key is to know your dog, know the signs, and know where your nearest vet is.

Sadly I lost a dog to bloat 2 weeks ago :(

Sadly there is not set rules when it comes to bloat, what works for one doesn't always for another.

Some say it happens when you feed dry food, raised feeder, running after eating..

Others say it's because a dog stresses or is nervy or had a mating the list is endless.

The key is to know your dog, know the signs, and know where your nearest vet is.

Sorry to hear that you lost a dog so recently. :(

When I did tracking with the SES we had a veterinary first aid training session. The vet advised us about how to do an emergency job getting gas out of a bloated stomach by piercing through to the stomach with an ice pick or similar. I don't think I could do this, and think some people might do more harm than good trying. Wasn't sure if the vet was doing a wrong thing by teaching the procedure. Since then I have been curious to know if anyone has heard of success with a DIY emergency bloat 'surgery'. I know a person whose life was saved by a DIY tracheostomy done by her father, a farmer with no medical training, after a car accident . . . so I'm willing to believe DIY emergency surgery could be a good thing.

When I did tracking with the SES we had a veterinary first aid training session. The vet advised us about how to do an emergency job getting gas out of a bloated stomach by piercing through to the stomach with an ice pick or similar. I don't think I could do this, and think some people might do more harm than good trying. Wasn't sure if the vet was doing a wrong thing by teaching the procedure. Since then I have been curious to know if anyone has heard of success with a DIY emergency bloat 'surgery'. I know a person whose life was saved by a DIY tracheostomy done by her father, a farmer with no medical training, after a car accident . . . so I'm willing to believe DIY emergency surgery could be a good thing.

This is still workable with cattle I know. If they are down they are not likely to get up so it us worth a try. 50/50 sucess rate when I was growing up but probably conditional on timing.

When they are found already foundered it is difficult to judge how long they hv been down. That

Must impact survival too?

Sadly there is not set rules when it comes to bloat, what works for one doesn't always for another.Some say it happens when you feed dry food, raised feeder, running after eating..Others say it's because a dog stresses or is nervy or had a mating the list is endless.The key is to know your dog, know the signs, and know where your nearest vet is.Sadly I lost a dog to bloat 2 weeks ago :(

So sorry to hear that Sway.....its a bloody awful disease/condition.

We must also factor in age. Any deep chested dog over 7/8 years is high on this to be affected. This came from treating vets I worked with....

Sadly there is not set rules when it comes to bloat, what works for one doesn't always for another.Some say it happens when you feed dry food, raised feeder, running after eating..Others say it's because a dog stresses or is nervy or had a mating the list is endless.The key is to know your dog, know the signs, and know where your nearest vet is.Sadly I lost a dog to bloat 2 weeks ago :(

So sorry to hear that Sway.....its a bloody awful disease/condition.

We must also factor in age. Any deep chested dog over 7/8 years is high on this to be affected. This came from treating vets I worked with....

I was told the same thing - my boy was a very healthy 9 year old.

Hugs to you Sway - it's a very difficult loss to come to terms with ........

Oh I'm sorry to hear that sad news SwaY :( 20 months is too young.

I feed raised stands because the eat calmer than chasing a bowl around the floor gulping place they have to splay there fronts to get down.

I have breeds highly predisposed to bloat & whilst i am careful about play i do not lock them up,restrict water before or after eating.

I have never been paranoid about bloat but we are extremely careful with our dogs & the boarding kennel dogs.

I carry degas but if i have any doubt its to the vets with bloat every second counts .

So sorry Sway :(

As already said, you can do all the supposed right things and bloat can still unfortunately happen. I lost a dog at 9 to bloat and there were none of the listed triggers, it was in the early hours of the morning so no where near meal time, she hadn't been exercising, she wasn't stressed, she wasn't nervy etc. etc. Unfortunately her son was also lost to bloat at just 2 years old. I have also had my GSP to the emergency vet with suspected bloat after I found him laying down outside moaning and groaning with a tight, bloated stomach. Turns out that he had a belly full of kibble he'd stolen and was just feeling sorry for himself. The Emergency Vet fee was worth the piece of mind anyday though, especialy as both his grandsire and now his sire have bloated :(

Thank you, my dog was 20 months old.

I am so sorry for your loss...I know how easy it is for a dog to bloat

If anyone is inetereested in more inof on bloat and some first aid whilst on the way to the vet pm me.I have some chart. I have tried to attach here, no-go. Would have to e-mail them

I also know some accupressure points that I have used in both my horses (colic) and one of my gorls who ? bloated over Easter, she is fine now and has had a gastropexy.......

I have also been taught how to pass a naso gastric tube, much safer than a puncture for bloat and quite easy to learn. I practised on Calves :)

He is fine today, back to his normal self, but it was the scariest thing. So how many people do restrict water? And when do you restrict water? My closest 24 hour emergency vet is an hour away, so I might speak to our regular vet tomorrow night (he is getting his shots and a check up) about other options.

I am so sorry for your loss Sway and 20 months is far too young! Oscar is 3, 4 in March, the time really does fly and you don't even notice them getting older, I guess until they are.

Thanks so much for all the responses.

I don't restrict water (take it away), however I do tell them to stop if they keep going and going.

I do carry an emergency bloat kit with me in the van and one for home - just in case.

But I would rather drive to the vets then do it myself. :eek: